1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mario Mafia [MAFIA VICTORY]

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by topsecret, Dec 15, 2019.

1. topsecret

topsecret Believer

Alright, I am about to post some of the unused/deleted roles, along with the extra abilities.

2. Montmorency

Montmorency King

I guess you're right. Had he claimed RB right after Rask did, I would have been frenzied.

In the end Jo and Newyn voting Zack D5 should have cascaded to Town victory. (That was a heartbreaking vote, Snerk.)

3. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Let's take a guided tour of the Dead QT.
    Yeah, if you tunnel too hard people just dismiss any further evidence and dismiss you as a paranoid wacko.
    I still don't understand why you didn't humour me by lynching Newyn.

4. topsecret

topsecret Believer

UNUSED/DELETED ROLES

Sledge Bro
    Spoiler :

Character: Sledge Bro

Alignment: Koopa Kingdom (Town)

Victory Condition: Eliminate any hostile threats to the peace of Koopa Kingdom.

Abilities:
    1. Hammer Protector: Target a player. You defend that player is shielded from losing coins. You gain two coins, along with an additional coin if anyone tries to steal their coins.

Gold Boo
    Spoiler :

Character: Gold Boo

Victory Condition: Eliminate any hostile threats to the peace of Koopa Kingdom.

Abilities:
    1. Golden Follow: Target a player. You will gain the same amount of coins as whoever that player targeted. If they targeted no player, you will gain two coins.

The following was a deleted role. It was WAY TOO townsided, imo; unlike Snerk's role, it made townies confirmable:

Professor Frankly
    Spoiler :

Character: Professor Frankly

Victory Condition:
    Eliminate any hostile threats to the peace of Koopa Kingdom.

Abilities:
    1. Species Hunt: Target a player. You are hunting rare species of creatures in the Koopa Kingdom. You will receive their species if they are a Koopa or Goomba, or a UNKNOWN species if they are rare or unrecognizable.

• If they are a Goomba, you will gain one coin.
    • If they are a Koopa, you will gain two coins.
    • If they are a rare species, you will gain three coins.

Synsensa likes this.
  5. topsecret

topsecret Believer

OBTAINABLE ABILITIES

Tanoomba Roles (Snerk)
    Spoiler :

YOSHI
    2. Defender: Target a player. You guard them, protecting them from night actions except night kills. You receive one coin for each player who targets them.
    MARIO
    2. Burn: Target a player to burn. Their action will fail. You receive two coins, with an additional coin if they tried to target you.
    LUIGI
    2. Vanish: You disappear, gaining one coin for each player who targets you.
    TOAD
    2. Messenger: Target a player. You will choose a message to deliver to them anonymously. You receive three coins.
    SERGEANT GUY
    2. Guardian: Target a player. That player is protected from night kills. You receive one coin for each player who targets them.
    SLEDGE BRO
    2. Coin Defender: Target a player. That player cannot lose coins tonight. You receive one coin for each player who targets them.
    BANDIT
    2. Thief: Target a player. You steal three coins from them.
    THWOMP
    2. Slam: Target a player. That player loses a coin. You gain three coins.
    COIN COFFER
    2. Gift: Target a player. Both that player and you gain three coins.
    GOLD LAKITU
    2. Gift: Target two players. You all gain two coins.
    KOOPA TROOPA
    2. Target Counter: Target a player. You get one coin for each player who targets them.
    CHEEP-CHEEP
    2. Anti-Target Counter: Target a player. You get four coins if they are not targeted. Otherwise, you receive one coin.
    WARIO
    2. Collector: You get one coin for each player who targets you.
    SUN
    2. Heat: Target a player. You receive one coin for each vote they receive during the next day phase (max 4).
    BOWSER
    2. Coin Counter: Target a player.
    • Gain one coin if they gained less than three coins.
    • Gain three coins if they gained three or more coins.
    BABY BOWSER + GOLD SHY GUY
    2. Coin Comparison: Target a player.
    • If they have less, you gain two coins.
    • If they have more, you gain three coins.
    • If they have same, you gain one coin.
    GOLD GOOMBA + GOLD BOO
    2. Coin Copier: Target a player. You gain the same amount of coins as them. Gain a bonus coin if they targeted you.

Bowser Roles (RRRaskolnikov)
    Spoiler :

[*]If two Koopa Kingdom members are lynched but no Mario Bros. are lynched, you gain an additional ability.
    2. Stomp: Target a player. You stop them from performing any night actions. You gain one coin, plus two extra coins if they tried to target you.
    [*]If three Koopa Kingdom members are lynched but one or less Mario Bros. are lynched, you gain an additional one-use ability.
    3. Burn [One-time]: Target a player to kill tonight.
    [*]If four Koopa Kingdom members are lynched but one or less Mario Bros. are lynched, you gain an additional one-use ability.
    4. Guard [One-time]: Target a player to defend from night kills tonight.

Wario Roles*
    Spoiler :

3. Conniving (Passive): You gain abilities as you reach certain coin thresholds.
    • You gain an ability at 9 coins
      4. Jealousy: Target a player. If they have more coins than you, you gain four coins. Otherwise, you gain one coin.
    • You gain a passive ability at 16 coins.
      5. Accumulation (Passive): Gain one coin per night.
    • You gain an ability at 25 coins.
      6. Overpower: Target a player. You steal the coins they earned tonight.
    • You gain a passive at 35 coins.
      7. Multitasker (Passive): You can use two actions per night.

*More on this when I post about balance. Wario's roles must give him a lot of coins because if he dies, it's almost guaranteed game over. But I still think he was the least balanced overall.

Synsensa likes this.
  6. Csargo

Csargo Prince

Yeah, there's no way him claiming his cover would have saved him. No way town buys there being two RBs, so he didn't really have a choice.

7. topsecret

topsecret Believer

ACTION RESOLUTION ORDER:
    PROTECTION PHASE - NIGHT ACTIONS [Yoshi]
    ROLE BLOCK PHASE [Mario, Bowser]
    VANISH PHASE [Luigi]
    COIN COMPARE PHASE [Bowser, Baby Bowser, Gold Shy Guy]
    KILL PHASE [Mafia, Bowser]
    DOCTOR PHASE [Sergeant Guy]
    PROTECTION PHASE - COINS [Sledge Bro]
    STEAL PHASE [Bandit. Thwomp]
    COIN GIVE PHASE [Coin Coffer, Gold Lakitu]
    TARGET PHASE [Koopa Troopa, Cheep-Cheep, Wario]
    ROLE COPY PHASE [Tanoomba]
    VOTE COIN PHASE [Toad, Sun] - Receives additional coins during day phase (maybe)
    COIN COPY PHASE [Gold Goomba, Gold Boo]

There's a couple of exceptions to this order but I thought it might be helpful for other aspiring hosts of role madness.

Synsensa likes this.
  8. topsecret

topsecret Believer

I didn't really think this through fully enough.

But every mistake is a chance for learning. :p (My new phrase for when everything balance-wise goes up in flames.)

JohannaK, Synsensa and Csargo like this.
  9. Csargo

Csargo Prince

Balancing is hard, especially in a game like this. You did a great job imo, was a fun game to play.

topsecret likes this.
  10. topsecret

topsecret Believer

SPREADSHEET

I also had a spreadsheet that helped me calculate action resolution and coin values. Every value was checked and double-checked manually though.

But I will post it here. There's some known bugs but it still is a big help for night action resolution. I had to manually change some stuff sometimes. You all can play around on it if you would like.

The amount of equations on this thing is crazy. :crazyeye:

Attached Files:

Synsensa likes this.
  11. topsecret

topsecret Believer

Alright I will post some more thoughts later tonight. Some of my family just got home so I have some IRL stuff to do.

We still need to do:

Balancing Thoughts

Theme Thoughts

AWARDS! :trophy:

Gameplay Thoughts

Overall Thoughts

EPILOGUE

Synsensa likes this.
  12. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

My cover role was the same as my mafia role: a role block.

Takhisis insisted I claim it. Zack said no. I was inclined to agree with Zack, especially when you posted "If someone claims a role-block, we will immediately lynch them. It is strictly a wolf ability. So who's the role-blocker?" Would have been completely stupid for me to claim it.

The issue then became finding a new cover. I asked, but this was exactly when Takh, Zack, and Csargo all collectively went AFK for 95% of the days/nights. They were, to say the least, unhelpful. I wanted to role claim right at the beginning of the "ok everyone mass claim" but someone, I think Takh, told me to "relax" because nobody would target me. I disagreed but I went with what the long-time veteran suggested and I kept silent. I asked what role I should claim for when the time comes, and again, I was told to calm down. (Wtf.)

As a result I was one of the last claims, and it happened because I was directly tagged four or five times asking me why I hadn't role claimed while everyone else had. I had to make up that role on the spot. The only help was "think of something coin related." So I did. It was shaky at best, but it was good enough to make me survive that day despite Tim's insistence.

I would have made it that day but for some reason Takh decided to be my killing vote (the tie breaker would have never been needed had it not been for Takh's tying vote). No discussion around that. He just did it and I died.

I didn't self-pres vote for the reason someone cited: me not voting pzelda ensured his death, and that was ultimately more valuable to my team than me surviving an extra day.

Honestly I've been kind of stewing on it after being lynched. This was my first time being mafia and my mistakes were, are, being chalked up to that, even though I sought insight from my veteran teammates every step of the way. I guess I'm glad they won but it was at my expense so I'm not super happy about it.

I'm also a little baffled. Tim had you guys set up for victory before he got NK'd. All you needed to do was follow his train of thought. Yet the moment he died it's as though town forgot he existed, and his analysis simply went poof. As well, Csargo, Takh, and Zack were very clearly scummy after Tim's death, yet nobody caught on. The Zack train only started on the final day, despite him refusing to abide by every request made of him and his just total nonchalance and aloofness in response to everything. Did you guys think he was too scummy to be scummy or what?

13. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

yup, it's a lot of work processing all the night actions too

it's a total coincidence that I moved away from hosting role-heavy games... :mischief:

Csargo likes this.
  14. topsecret

topsecret Believer

:lol:

My next game is 16 vanillas and 4 mafiosos. :p

15. Csargo

Csargo Prince

There's no claim we could have gave you, for you to survive in that situation honestly. Or at least I couldn't think of one, night actions always would have gotten you lynched.

16. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I dunno how many times I need to say that RL got in the way for me this game, seriously. I was plenty helpful to you when I was available (sick and tired the whole way, I might add). The "think of something coin related" advice I gave was when I was dead tired, with next to zero free time, and I still tried to do what I could to help you. fortunately it seems you didn't need any help to make a petty wallpost calling me out as a crappy, unhelpful teammate in a game we won by a landslide, so kudos for that. I probably shouldn't have responded to this at all but whatever

17. Montmorency

Montmorency King

Hey, I followed my POE and it got us there. Only serious mistake was un-clearing Logic. (I was never going to lynch Newyn after he claimed, except maybe in F3 with Monty-Newyn-Jo or something.)

The thing with Zack personally, or the lock-clears, is:

1. I generally don't like aggravating hard targets as soon as I suspect them. (Though Zack wasn't as hard this time around for reasons, but it's a durable meta to break.)
    2. Lock-clears are more likely than not self-resolving over time so there's net upside to vocally defending them.

@LordArgon Seriously though, what happened?

Mafia, N4 Argon was default on Rask. Did you switch onto Rask when I made a suggestion that he could protect elsewhere or did you target him the whole night?

Synsensa likes this.
  18. Synsensa

It is what it is. But you can't really take issue with me saying my teammates were unhelpful if you yourself acknowledge that you were gone and that when you weren't gone you were too sick and tired to fully participate.

19. Synsensa

Also, if anyone should be mad at my post, it should be Takh. My only real mention of you was when I agreed with you about not claiming role-blocker. And the other mention, which you weren't named in, was the "only help" part, which to me indicates you're the only one who really tried to help.

20. Csargo

Csargo Prince

Pretty sure we defaulted on Rask.