Marsh - The Bane of All

JohnSmith8976

Chieftain
Greetings Everyone

Longtime viewer, first time poster - love your work!

I've joined & am posting for 1 reason & 1 reason only. I'm running Civ4 BTS with ROM 2.91 [Excellent work, by the way - much kudos] & while I greatly enjoy the game, the endless swathes of MARSH are driving me crazy! I'm talking serious hair-pulling, monitor gripping, voice box-destroying frustration here.

No offense to anyone - especially the creator - as I'm sure there was a perfectly valid reason to add a terrain type that is only good for 2nd rate farms & barely adequate river tiles. No-one is denying that such places did and do exist - they just shouldn't (in my humble opinion) cover the same amount of land as plains, grassland etc. It's insane!

I'm desperately hoping that someone on this site has come up with a modmod which will either reduce the amount of this dastardly substance on newly created maps, or alternatively, give workers the ability to Terraform it (not just remove peat bog) into grassland/plains relatively early in the game.

Any assistance offered will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
John

P.S Apologies if I've posted in wrong area.

Why, Hello there John! Welcome to the forums. I too have experienced this & will be glad to help you. After much searching on the many sections of these forums, I've found 1 or 2 leads on a fix, but nothing solid or recent. Joyyo created a modmod which included terraforming options for workers & adjustable per-requisite techs, but the mod files are no longer hosted. There is always AND, but the marsh problem still exists & the system is completely different, the future tech tree is shortened & turn loading times are much longer despite promises of 20-30% speed boosts.

So then, I hear you ask, what now? After much research, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went into the Civ4/bts/mods/rom directory & searched through every single xml file there, removing the marsh terrain feature by manual edit wherever I found it. Terrain types, unit interactions, build features - everything.

Expecting failure, I then started the game & of course got dozens of error messages on startup & a few more when starting a new game, but once ingame.....:eek::D:lol::king:. Perfection! As I explored the continent expecting to find the usual marsh swathes (or worse, glitched terrain), I instead found endless reaches of grass, plains, deserts, rivers, forests, jungles, more and more and......no marsh! It was beautiful! Like a dark psychological weight was lifted from me!

Since then, I've saved & re-loaded many times without incident (except for the error messages on startup - easily dismissed). The rest of the game runs perfectly stable, with all other features unaffected.

You can now rest easy, my friend. I'm glad to have been able to help you.

Best Regards,

John Smith8976

Hello John!

Thank you very much for your investigation & solution! It really is as though the darkness has lifted! I congratulate you on your dedication & resourcefulness! The members of this forum truly are the epitome of helpfulness & comradery.

I give broad thanks to everyone who replied to this thread & helped locate the solution - much kudos to you all! I can only hope I will be of similar help to you should you ever need it.

Best Regards,

John

Hello John!

Just noticed you nice thread in this obscure unused section of Rise of Mankind forum.

Um, John, The only active section in this RoM Forum is the Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn sub section. Zappara the author of RoM left almost 3 years ago. RoM 2.92 was his last official release.

Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn (now known as AND) is still in development. It Was a Modmod for RoM but became a Major Mod of it's own during RoM's 2.92 cycle.

Just thought you might want to know, since you've been basically posting in the downstairs closet of this Rise of Mankind Forum.

JosEPh ;)

Top Bottom