1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Marsh?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Calbrenar, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

Did this get added in semi recently? I took a hiatus a while back and just started playing again and I don't remember ever seeing marsh before now its all over. Is there any way to get rid of it?

2. Emptiness

Emptiness []

"Regular" mapscripts aren't set up to spawn marsh. It's not a recent addition. You'll see it spawn if you use the Erebus or Erebus Continents mapscripts, or any other mapscript customized to include it. There's no way to get rid of it, except for the Illian Temple of the Hand, which will turn it into Ice.

3. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

Is there an easy way to edit the python code to drop it? I don't see why you would ever want it in game. Does nothing but screw up locations and can't ever be improved. It's like a mountain that can't be used to make choke points lol.

4. Emptiness

Emptiness []

The easiest way to avoid it is not to play on the mapscripts that spawn it. Sorry, I don't know anything about making or editing mapscripts, so I can't tell you how to modify them to remove Marsh generation. An alternative would be to use the Worldbuilder to remove it from your games, although that would spoil the fun of exploration and could be tedious.

5. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Can't you turn it into Grasslands with Vitalize?

6. Emptiness

Emptiness []

No, Vitalize won't work on Marsh. Genesis won't change it either.

7. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

The scripts have ways to reduce/turn off mountains/desert/tundra/jungle I don't know why they would add something as crappy as marsh then not give you a way to control it ;x

8. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

Most of the major modmods allow you to Scorch marsh away and/or dig irrigation ditches at Engineering, both of which would make nice additions to the main game.

I haven't tested it out, but I suspect you could add

<TerrainBoolean>
    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_MARSH</TerrainType>
    <bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
    </TerrainBoolean>

to the terrainBooleans in the BONUS_TOAD section of CIV4BonusInfos.xml which would make Marshes slightly little more interesting too.

9. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Toads are a hell resource now, so unless the python code was changed too they would quickly revert to sheep (iIrc, I'm not at my computer though so I cannot check).

10. loocas

loocas Prince

If you open the mapscript and search for marsh you'll find the chance for marsh to be created. You can lower that. That's all I know from glancing at the script a while ago. I can't remember what the number was or what I changed it to, but I wanted marshes to be rare at most. Sorry for not being more detailed but I don't have the file here.

11. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

Well until flavour mod is updated for patch J its kind of a moot point as the map we were using was erebusconts. Now that we're using standard maps until flavour is back we have no marsh (hurray)