Scenario League Wiki Missing Download Issues (With Fixes)

Blake00

CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
Supporter
Hey guys,

18 years too late I know haha but I just noticed a little issue with the SLeague page for the awesome Martian Dawn (aka Mars 2300) by Benjamin Ball in that it's missing the second sound file download:
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Martian_Dawn_v1.1

I located the second sound file at CFC here:
https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/sci-fi/

And here's the direct link to the missing file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/scenarios/2300mars_s2.zip

Can one of the SLeague admins there please add the missing download link to the wiki page?
EDIT: I have successfully added the missing download to the wiki myself! :)

Last edited:
Found another one here guys, this time it's Kobayashi's Star Trek Dominion War that appears to be missing it's sound download link on it's SLeague page here:
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Star_Trek_-_Dominion_War_v1.1

I located the sound file at CFC here:
https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/sci-fi/

And here's the direct link to the missing file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/scenarios/StDWv1s.zip

Can one of the SLeague admins there please add the missing download link to the wiki page?
EDIT: I have successfully added the missing download to the wiki myself! :)

Last edited:
Found another problem. Eivind's Blitzkrieg 1936 has a broken sound download link.
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Blitzkrieg_1936

The dead link it uses is this:
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Eivind_bk1936v3sounds.zip
Spoiler Original post :
I tried swapping out the working scenario file download with the sound download but that failed:
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/images/6/6e/Eivind_bk1936v3sounds.zip

I also found a link on another forum but it was from back in the poly sleage days so it of course failed:
http://sleague.apolyton.net/images/9/95/Eivind_bk1936v3sounds.zip

Tried that link in the internet wayback but it was not backed up.

Also tried switching the apolyton address beginning for the civfinatics one but that failed too:
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/images/9/95/Eivind_bk1936v3sounds.zip

Can't find a copy of the file anywhere so I'm out of ideas!

EDIT: Solved! Spoke to Solver and he was able to pull the file from Poly backups. I've attached it to this post!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/bk1936-v3-sounds-zip.591581/

EDIT2: Have successfully repaired the broken link on the wiki myself! :)

Attachments

• Bk1936-v3-sounds.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
@Blake00
We do have a scen modification thread here, where you could request the old scenario be upgraded and perhaps have new sounds,etc retro-fitted.

As for the wiki, I am not sure it is even still maintained, as the mods who were in charge have not been here in literal years.

The best bet is continue to try and contact people with copies of the scenarios, or fix the wiki.

The former seems more likely than the latter.

Last edited:
@Blake00
We do have a scen modification thread here, where you could request the old scenario be upgraded and perhaps have new sounds,etc retro-fitted.

Yeah I know the thread as Gapetit kindly converted the MoM Jr scenario for me there. However for this post that's a bit overkill, I don't want anyone upgrading/remaking/redesigning a scenario just because a simple sound download link has stopped working. If someone feels a great need to upgrade a scenario then that's great but I don't want anyone doing hard work like that on my behalf lol! My interest is just a passing one, I'm not seriously playing it or modding it.

As for the wiki, I am not sure it is even still maintained, as the mods who were in charge have not been here in literal years.

Yeah I'm just browsing the wiki for a few last scenarios to tribute in my MGE video tour (before moving on to the ToT video tour) and hit a few dead links and missing files. Figured if I posted them here (with solutions when possible) someone might give a damn and fix them lol. I had no idea the site was abandoned as I've seen you, @McMonkey and maybe 1 or 2 other people posting here over the last few years with those special blue "SLeague Staff" titles so as far as I knew there were actual staff here looking after the scenario league site. By the sound of things the staff title is technically subdivided into forum staff and wiki website staff.

The best bet is continue to try and contact people with copies of the scenarios, or fix the wiki.

Yup I've found an old thread at civforum.de where a whole bunch of people were playing and spectating a PBEM game of Blitzkrieg 1936 so I've posted there as maybe one of them has the file. If I get it I'll upload it here and update my post above.

Is it possible for an outsider like me to fix the wiki site? I thought editing it was restricted to staff only. I'd be happy to fix it myself if I thought I could!

Oh and while I've got you @CurtSibling I literally just hit another dead link, this time it's on one of your own scenarios called Kaiser!
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Kaiser

It looks very impressive and like something I should tribute in my MGE video but I can't find a copy of the scenario download anywhere else. Yes I know there's an enhanced ToT version which I'll be sure to cover in my ToT video but it would be nice to get my hands on your original for my MGE video.
EDIT: I have successfully located & added the missing download to the wiki myself! :)
EDIT2: I have also added a link to the superior ToT version too!

Damn.. Looks like your cool looking Soviet Steel MGE scenario download is dead too.
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Soviet_Steel
EDIT: I have successfully located & added the missing download to the wiki myself! :)
EDIT2: I have also added a link to the superior ToT version too!

Last edited:
Then good luck with your quest, Blake.
If you want to get access to the wiki, I am not sure who you'd ask...
The staff on CFC probably will have no clue, and I don't either. Perhaps my colleague, @techumseh might be of help?

I'll be frank with you dude, if I am going to do anything with any old MGE material, it will be to remake it fully in ToT.
MGE has no meaning to me these days, despite what seems a new generation of gamer hipsters trying act like MGE
somehow ranks above the vastly superior ToT version. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Then good luck with your quest, Blake.
If you want to get access to the wiki, I am not sure who you'd ask...
The staff on CFC probably will have no clue, and I don't either. Perhaps my colleague, @techumseh might be of help?

Thanks. While I can't promise to run the whole thing I'd be happy to help out and fix broken links I & others find. I've already been doing similar work in my scenario search and rescue threads across all the Civ forums (mostly rescuing long lost Civ2 and Civ3 scenarios) so I may as well extend my work to helping out the SLeague wiki site if possible. Preserving great old mods is important to me.

I'll be frank with you dude, if I am going to do anything with any old MGE material, it will be to remake it fully in ToT.
MGE has no meaning to me these days, despite what seems a new generation of gamer hipsters trying act like MGE
somehow ranks above the vastly superior ToT version. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

I know that lol, but just in case there's still any shred of misunderstanding here.. I don't want you or anyone else to do anything with MGE lol. Don't install anything, don't create anything and don't change anything lol. There's no MGE versus ToT silliness, or any other ulterior motives going on here. It's just a simple report missing downloads and help rescue them for preservation sake thread. Doesn't matter if it's MGE or ToT, if I see a dead download link I'll report it and try to fix. Only additional element is me covering some of this stuff in my video series.

I probably have them somewhere.....:mischief:

Thanks! If it's too much trouble then that's okay, I think I have another idea. In the case of Curt's MGE scenarios the wiki downloads are actually CFC download redirect link fails. Thunderfall has helped me out with those before as the files are actually still there but inaccessible, so I can probably run these 2 old links by him too.

Last edited:
Creating a massive new wiki site from scratch would be a hell of a job and definitely something that would need a team behind it. Too much for one person and I sure as hell don't have the time to do something that big haha.

However yeah one unified site cataloging all the Civ2 (both MGE & ToT) mods/scenarios ever made would be a great thing and something that I would happily contribute to. As at the moment there's so much stuff scattered around so many old sites and backups of old sites, and so much has been lost too. :(

If sticking with the old wiki and trying to improve that ends up being the best option then I just noticed that the main home and news page of the SLeague wiki site has been kept up to date until just last year so there must have been someone here taking care of things. Maybe it was @McMonkey so it points to his list thread for people wanting to help.
http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Either way while doing my scenario search & rescue stuff and video series prep work I've located quite a few old Civ2 repositories:

These are all the repositories I know of that I've been using for rescue efforts and video tribute work (please let me know if there's any other good dead or alive Civ2 scenario site/sources missing). They would naturally be a useful source for a new preservation site attempt too as there's literally several thousand Civ2 scenarios and mods spread across these sites! Obviously there's quite a bit of crossover and duplication between them but many tend to have something the others don't.

Last edited:
Another reason why a new wiki preservation project might be a good idea is the fact that I notice from McMonkey's posts that the old wiki generally only accepted fully completed and tested scenarios. Which is not really of interest to me as there's a lot of great stuff out there that some might consider 'unfinished' due to unforeseen bugs and imbalances. Some of my favourite scenarios are a rough around the edges lol. Plus who has time to sit there testing every scenario and mod ever made thoroughly from start to end anyway haha! :p

Last edited:
@Blake00

I'm not sure if you put too much sugar in your coffee, but it's time to cool down with the Poly wiki blitzkrieg.
You have been advised what the best course of action is. Put all this energy into creating a new, up to date
wiki using the far superior software available, and less spamming the SL threads with endless posts.

We are all up for helping if you get a working frame together. If you wish to plan out a wiki here on SL,
that is cool. We can rename this thread, and make it the place to blueprint out a new wiki. And you
can be the maintainence chief on that project. How does that sound?

Never discourage anyone who remains excitable about our 20+ old game :lol:

His excitement about Civ is worthy of praise.

I am discouraging his fixation on the defunct Poly site, when there are many options for a renewed wiki.

We seem to have a problem in Civ2 with people clinging to the outmoded versions of everything.

You don't see the irony in that statement? :mischief: What are they on now, Civ 6? :lol:

Anyway, I have very fond memories of the SL wiki, having participated in its development. It has been a very valuable resource for many scenarios over the years. But I agree, perhaps it's time to build a new one. If Blake00 wants to contribute to that effort, I think we would all appreciate it.

Honestly the resources and tips section is what I'm most concerned about losing, and what I'd most like to be able to contribute new articles to. If we built a new site that just linked to civfanatics.com for the actual downloads, that'd be preferable and wouldn't require hosting or much space.

From the other thread:
If the intention is to have a museum of CIV2 material, then it's time to update your viewpoint and build a new CIV2 SL wiki.
You seem to want it, so you have volunteered for the job. I'm sure we can all help by providing material from our own archives.
Either that, or just showcase the historical scenarios here on CFC. We have unlimited space.
No-one here wants to deal with an arcane, broken old wiki from a bygone age, that may or may not be an online security risk.
It makes sense to use the newer, freely available online wiki systems that are out there.

From this thread:
I'm not sure if you put too much sugar in your coffee, but it's time to cool down with the Poly wiki blitzkrieg.
You have been advised what the best course of action is. Put all this energy into creating a new, up to date
wiki using the far superior software available, and less spamming the SL threads with endless posts.

His excitement about Civ is worthy of praise.
I am discouraging his fixation on the defunct Poly site, when there are many options for a renewed wiki.
We seem to have a problem in Civ2 with people clinging to the outmoded versions of everything.

Ouch Curt.. you really know how to suck the life out of someone's motivation mate lol.

Jeez everything I do everywhere I do it seems to annoy you doesn't it lol. Spamming and endless posts? It was 2 posts. I saw others posting in the SL info thread and the SL upload thread threads recently about getting access to the old wiki site so I joined those convos since it was relevant to ours here (you can see I'm actually replying to people there with new information including a link to the new convo, and not just copy & pasting the same post in 3 threads lol), also by engaging others I figured it would kick off that vote/discussion you suggested yourself (which appears to have worked as others are now joining in, but apparently I'm spamming and not helping hey). I'm not fixated on the old wiki or pushing some new agenda blah blah, nor is this part of some hippy obsession with old stuff (you just gotta keep pushing that 'I hate MGE knife' into people don't ya lol), I'm just covering all bases and bringing in others who were already talking about it. You can see above in my last 2 posts that I'm fine with your idea of a new site, however I made it clear I lack the time to do something like that myself and would only be interested in contributing to a team effort. I also lack the necessary wiki experience to set something up from scratch as while I can go in and fix a broken link or some text here and there on an existing wiki I've never built a wiki page or a site of wiki pages before.

I joked that you sounded like a broken record the other day (when you were having to dirty yourself by stepping into that disgusting despicable hippy cesspool of a MGE mod thread to educate us all on our sins JJ :lol::lol: ) but now I sound like one too as I feel like I've gotta say again that I just came in here to report some broken SLeague wiki links and offer my help to fix them. Simple as that so if it's not possible or wanted then that's perfectly fine. I'll move along, as I know this is your playground Curt and I'm not here to annoy you or anyone else, I just came to help a bit, and I emphasize the word 'bit' because my god do I have plenty of other things to do already haha. Let me see.. I've got 6 different Civ2 mod projects I'm working on now plus I've given assurances that I'll work on 2 more in the future over on the Civ3 forum, my own Civ series scenario hunt and rescue project across all the Civ sites and forums plus so many others which has turned into a huge project due to community engagement (it's up to a whopping 102 threads/posts and counting I kid you not) and so many long lost scenarios being found, my huge Civ modding youtube video series which I've invested 2 years of my life to so far and yet it's still going and nowhere near completion lol (not to mention all the other non-civ stuff I do on my Blakes Sanctum channel). I'm an admin of 2 Starflight forums, a moderator on 2 more forums. I'm the creator/admin of the Starflight 3, Starflight Remake, Freelancer, Colonization and Master of Magic fans facebook groups, moderator on a Quest for Glory fb group too. I admin the Colonization and Master of Magic discord groups and moderate the official license holders Starflight 3 discord. I admin the Starflight and Colonization fans reddit groups. So as a fellow mod/community manager I'm sure you can understand how much of a time suck all those groups are keeping them healthy and making sure people don't misbehave. But wait.. there's more lol! I also do the social media marketing & community engagement for (plus helping with a bit of testing and development) on the Starflight Remake, Starflight Lost Colony, Babylon 5 Sins of a Solar Empire, Babylon 5 Civ4, Master of Magic HD Multiplayer Edition, FreeCol fan game/mod projects (because in some cases I knew they were on the brink of death and needed my help to stay alive and bring in more fans). I got grumpy fans at me cause I haven't touched my popular Star Trek GZDoom and Quest for Glory IV-3D hexen mods in 5 years. And on top of all that I run a retro gaming website (and it's attached wordpress blog site) called Blakes Sanctum that has numerous problems I need to fix but haven't found the time lol. I also very much miss playing other games and have a ginourmous to do list I'll probably never get to. Prob more fun things I'm forgetting too... and all of this around real life jobs and stuff of course..

So yeah basically I got my hands in so many cookie jars its ridiculous haha.. I'm passionate about too much stuff and so while yes I do have some of that fresh blood/energy and "excitement" you mention its unfortunately still very thinly spread across a lot of projects limiting how much I can do lol. Hell now that I'm in my 40s I'm starting to fear I'll never finishing anything as the men in my family all seem to drop off in their 60s lol.

I guess I just struggle to say no to people when it involves something I care about. And yeah preserving the legacy of the Civ2 scenario scene (for BOTH MGE & ToT not one over the other) is something I care about and I really like what you guys are doing here, but I'm sorry to say that doesn't mean I can go build a whole new site for you mate. I just don't have the time for that sorry, I just said your idea of a new site would be a 'great thing' and I could help a bit lol. So if there's no 'wiki gurus' here who wanna set something like that up for myself and others to put content in then let's not worry about it then! I'll go back to all my stuff and you back to your stuff and no one ends up disappointed lol! Also if I find more broken links on the old wiki I won't report them here (especially if they're MGE related) and annoy you any more, I promise lol!

Last edited:
You say don't have time to create a wiki, but take time to post that enormous manifesto, time that might have been used to do something useful. OK, dude.
We already have a method of preserving CIV2 here on the site you are posting on. Why not host the old mods on the CIV2 file area?

While I salute your obvious contributions to the community, please don't spam up SL with endless rambles about these broken links.
People can either help, or they can't. And finally, cut down on whatever stimulant you are over using. ;)

Top Bottom