Marvels Midnight Suns by Firaxis

sherbz

Deity

Well its official. A new XCOM style game is in the works from Firaxis. I suppose Chimera squad was a road test.

Im not sure how i feel about this tbh. Chimera squad was alright. Not bad, not great IMO. Probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. Im also not a huge marvel fan. So will this have what im looking for? Who knows. One thing is clear though. They seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at it based on the trailer. And Jake Solomon is involved. One to watch for sure.

Card based combat...

Card based combat...

Yeah. Im still not really sure what i think about it. It seems to have more RPG elements in it. And i suspect that its replayability will be fairly limited. And yes - card based combat.

New gameplay footage. It looks very slick. Im still not sure whether i will get it though

Today Firaxis released its major new game of the year: Marvel’s Midnight Suns. Midnight Suns is a tactical turn based game, similar to the XCOM franchise, but set in the Marvel universe, featuring various Marvel heroes like Blade or Doctor Strange. The game has so far received extremely good critiques, with 83 points on MetaCritic, so good that even Forbes is reporting about it. Websites rating the game well include IGN, GameInformer and GamesRadar.

Another news story has also come up: 2K and Firaxis have made it possible to fulfill the wish of a dying fan, to play Midnight Suns before its release. You can read the full story here and discuss with us here.

Got the game, played a little today... very mixed reviews on steam because the game doesn't seem to be very optimized yet... clipping and extreme long loading time between zones...

Also, there are microtransactions, but they seem to be only for vanity stuff so far...

my first 4-5 hours of play were very enjoyable I must say... I'll let you know how that evolves

Edit: also... Denuvo 🤦‍♂️

I dont think im going to bother. Maybe when its cheap. But im not interested in all the RPG elements really. And the decision to have blade - the bad ass vampire hunter as also a yoga fan and leader of the book club, whose members include Wolverine, just strikes me as weird. And its a large part of the game. Think ill wait until the more serious business of XCOM 3 arrives.

Brutal
That's a little.... actually a lot... exaggerated !

The game DOES have an 83 score on metacritic for PC version, which is not bad, and is a lot of fun...

I suspect a lot of hatred coming in from crack overlords who despise Denuvo and all anti-crack schemes...

As I said in another thread, the game is fun but is really NOT aimed at action game players.... At all... Even is the combat scenes are spectacular, they ARE turn-based a la X-COM and Card-Based a la MTG...

This is a game aimed at RPG players that happen to be Super Heroes fan...

That's a little.... actually a lot... exaggerated !

The game DOES have an 83 score on metacritic for PC version, which is not bad, and is a lot of fun...

I suspect a lot of hatred coming in from crack overlords who despise Denuvo and all anti-crack schemes...

As I said in another thread, the game is fun but is really NOT aimed at action game players.... At all... Even is the combat scenes are spectacular, they ARE turn-based a la X-COM and Card-Based a la MTG...

This is a game aimed at RPG players that happen to be Super Heroes fan...
Reading his blog post, he really enjoys the combat parts, but despises the rpg elements in the abbey. Also, he's had a lot of crashing issues. It's weird that he doesn't dig the rpg parts, since he loves to write and run DnD campaigns.

Reading his blog post, he really enjoys the combat parts, but despises the rpg elements in the abbey. Also, he's had a lot of crashing issues. It's weird that he doesn't dig the rpg parts, since he loves to write and run DnD campaigns.
The RPG parts might be a little limited to his tastes...

The bad parts are pretty much all there (grinding for resources) but the map to explore is limited and the characters evolution is extremely limited, outside of bettering the cards...

It's really an hybrid of many types and genres... and just like in D&D, hybrid makes you good in many things, but not fantastic in any of them... My opinion anyways...

Still, I really enjoy the game and I have a hard time stopping... I DO get the 'one more turn' feeling in that game too ;-) It's a hoot if you're a Marvel fan, really !

There are micro transactions though. Not cool in a $60 game. Not cool at all. Still think its a hard pass from me.

There are micro transactions though. Not cool in a $60 game. Not cool at all. Still think its a hard pass from me.
While I completely understand and agree on the sentiment…

As far as I can see those are only for buying specific vanity stuff, nothing gameplay related, and there’s already
soooooo much vanity things available through normal grinding in the game (actually enough so that’s it’s slightly annoying tome already, since I really don’t care about alternate suits, colors and clothing and hair style of the heroes) that I fail to see the significance of the microtransactions…

Might find out later on in end game that it becomes important, but I haven’t read that on any review sites, so I’m really not expecting that, and so to me, it’s really as if it’s nonexistant

Im pretty sure they are not egregious. Stuff like that just annoys me though in a premium product. They shouldnt be in there at all IMO. Their existence can only ever justified in a F2P game. Once you start charging full price for something though they are a scam. In whatever way shape or form they are implemented.

Just thought I'd drop by and mention that the steam reviews are now up to 'mostly positive', now that the launch period has passed.

Having LOADS of fun with this game , honestly. Now have 75 Hours played, and figure I'm about 2/3 of the way into the campaign... But I like side missions, and enjoy them ;-)

Finally, I'd like to quote a reviewer on steam that sums up what I think of the microtransactions thingy:

so many people have complained in negative reviews about micro transactions. This game at some point in the future MAY have micro transaction costumes. Currently it just had costumes that were part of the legendary edition and that's it. And allows you to simply purchase select few out of those if you didn't want or need all of them. THERE IS NO RESOURCE MICRO PAYMENTS. The resources are scarce not because it's trying to charge you but because it was made by the people who made XCOM. It's purely for difficulties sake. You get plenty and plenty of resources if people would actually play the game past the beginning.

Midnight Suns was a huge surprise for me. I'm in my mid 40's and don't really keep up with upcoming releases the way I used to. I was aware of the title, but had not read anything about it, nor watched any videos at all, not even the official trailer.

I bought it because it's Marvel (and Firaxis) without expecting too much.

I have been hooked since day one. I have just at 100 hours, and I'm not even out of the first act yet! This game in mind-bogglingly deep (seriously, there is so much more going on that you realize in the first couple of hours).

I quit the game after playing the first 3 hours, and immediately purchased the season pass. My poor planning cost me $10 extra in this case ($60 usd game, plus $50 usd expansion pass), but I'm not bitter in the slightest. And just knowing the track record Firaxis has as a company, I am sure this title will be supported and expanded on for a couple years to come.

I don't want to open a can of worms (because these forums are very civil, unlike some others); but there really are not microtransactions in this game (yet). They are selling outfits, but if you purchase the season pass, they are all included. Really, the post above me has the best explanation of this.

Now, I want the exact same game as Midnight Suns, except I want Age of Apocalypse (the 1995 mega event). Then, I can die happy. <blink!>

Finished the game in around 100H gameplay (but I like to do a lot of side missions, so probably would have finished it in about 65-70H if I'd kept to story missions only).

Great Great fun... Story is pretty good too, and the Heroes' personalities seem very accurate to me...

The combat system is surprisingly deep... I expected a card based system to become blah after a while, but they added just enough additional tactical decisions into it to make it real fun !

The end story leaves you very much in the same kind of state as usual marvel movies leave you... Cut scenes to titillate you ;-)

That will be for the DLCs coming up. Until then, I am able to either continue playing as if just before final battle to level up friendships and heroes even more, or play in a NEW GAME + mode... Will let you guys know how those
fare and what their replay values are...

But I really recommend this game !

I hear Jake Solomon has left Firaxis. Thats a shame IMO. He was a good designer.

Top Bottom