1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mask and Steal?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by DeeEmm, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DeeEmm

DeeEmm Chieftain

Hi,
    I've recently DLed hte mod and now I'm absolutely addicted - I'm blaming it if I don't pass my exam tomorrow... :p

Anyhow, I'm playing the Svaltalfar now, and I seem to have run into a problem. I'm running on Esus and have popped a few assassins, but the problem is that only assassins made in the Esus holy city got to choose the "Mask" promotion, and then only when they are first made. I haven't seen Steal being available except for Alazan. Other assassins from other cities don't get the choice to Mask at all, even if they move onto the holy city.

Is this intentional? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help - looking forward to subjugating my allies with a series of assassinations. :)

2. Skitters

Skitters Prince

To get the mask promotion you need Esus in the building city. This will be in the holy city, but you can spread the religion by having units who follow Esus. All recon units (which include Assassins) built in a city with the Esus faith get the religion by default (other units have a % chance of adopting the faith dependent on the number of religions in the city (Esus being a little less likely than other religions).

Move the unit to the target city and you should get the option to spread Esus (for a cost in gold).

If I remember rightly, for Steal you need to have Esus as your state religion.

3. Andvare

Andvare King

I believe that the mask ability is only available to units with the Esus religion, but some units, like the Assassin, can have other religions than Esus, depending on the city they are built in.

The Kidnap ability should be available to all recon units, but I can't remember if there is any other reqs.

DL the manual, even if it is incomplete, it's still a very informative tool, and only slightly less information than this forum ;) .

4. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

I don't think all Recon units get it by default. I've definitely had games as the Sidar where Ghosts weren't being born with it, and I know I've had to reload several times when Rathas didn't have it.

5. loffenx

loffenx Warlord

Unless there has been a recent change, they don't get it by defualt, in fact if I remember correctly Esus is the least likely religion to be given to a unit if there are more religions present in the city, recon or not.

6. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

Nevermind.

7. Skitters

Skitters Prince

I stand corrected - apologies for the confusion!

8. xalien

xalien Prince

A sure way to get assassins with CoE religion is to upgrade them from nightwatch, otherwise it's all random. The only units that start with CoE by default are shadows, nightwatch, shadowriders and Gibbon.

9. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

Is there any way for an already existing unit to adopt a religion?

10. xxHammerxx

xxHammerxx rage monkey

There is not such a way for an already built unit to gain a new religion. And yes, its a mere 5 gold to upgrade a Nightwatch into an Assasin. The true pain is getting that darn expensive and out of the way Bowyers tech.

The only way to gain/change religion with a pre-built unit is to UPGRADE it into a unit that automatically aquires that religion.

For instance, upgrading an assasin into a Shadow, grants the Esus religion.

11. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Ah, good idea with upgrading the nightwatch. I was rather frustrated in an earlier game with how rare it was for my Assassins to get CoE.