1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass grave of children and infants in Tuam, Co. Galway.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brian Shanahan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

What an obscene way to look at this situation. Parents who starve their kids to death are charged with murder, right? Same thing.

Petition signed.

2. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Are you an native English speaker?

friv·o·lous
    ˈfrivələs/Submit
    adjective
    not having any serious purpose or value.

3. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

I believe that statement was to be taken ironically: "Used in reference to a paradoxical, unexpected, or coincidental situation." http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ironically?q=ironically. In this case he appears to mock Terxpahseytons position and apparent callousness by taking it as fact, showing the absurdity of it.

4. CavLancer

Could be. :dunno:

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know so much.

I can't see any value in infanticide, frivolous or not.

6. CavLancer

Are you a communist? In the West everything has value, good or bad. Infanticide for example, great source of stem cells.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I can't seem to find a market for the copious results of my nasal explorations.

8. Willem

Willem Deity

Why is everyone so up in arms about starvation? Where is the proof that were in fact intentionally starved to death? The article only reads "malnourished". That's quite a bit different from purposeful starvation. Many children in Africa today are malnourished, but no one is claiming they're being murdered because of it. I'm not trying to say that the way they were treated was not deplorable, but to insinuate that they were murdered in cold blood is a gross over-reaction.

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

It's not that hard to put 1 and 1 together:

1. The dead children were malnourished.
    2. The dead children were in a charity institution.
    3. The dead children were dumped in a mass grave.
    4. These facts were known for over 40 years now and have never been properly investigated.

There are at least 3 possible crimes here. Possible crimes require investigation. I'm sorry, but that is the law. Even in Ireland.

10. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I would suggest watching the films Philomena and The Magdalene Sisters. Much as the church tried to destroy the relevent records it is a matter of fact that children were sold.

11. Valka D'Ur

20th-century Ireland was not like Africa. There was no excuse for those children to be malnourished. What happened to them was deliberate.

12. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

It was three times the national average for that period. At the very least that alone is cause for suspicion. And there is evidence now emerging that a health official in Cork investigated an institution for unmarried mothers (a prison really), where children were dying of starvation (click on the Tuam Children section of this page for a podcast of a radio discussion).

13. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Lets not forget either that the religious orders were well paid by the state to take care of these children and their young mothers, that they were in all likelihood paid by the families of the young women to take them in (the rcc will never do anything for you for free) and also were allowed to work the young mothers essentially as slave labour. They had more than ample funds to be able to properly care for these children.

Edit: My thanks to all who signed the petition.

14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Well, I hope ya'll keep on with the investigations and prosecutions. I appreciate the clarification on the specifics rather than the generalized statement.

I have a feeling the RCC varies from place to place and time to time, though. They work with gay couples in the foster system in this state these days, yo.

15. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Why does this cause require a petition? Is the Gardai not holding an investigation in any case?

I suppose not.

17. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Perhaps the petition is against the religious order and less a call to investigate the matter.

18. Valka D'Ur

<snip>

Moderator Action: Spam removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Petitions can give a kick in the pants to investigations and make the investigators realize the world is watching and they'd better do a good job.

19. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Or, alternatively, make up results so that they can hide they're inefficient and kind of useless.

20. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

The grave was originally found in 1975. There has been no investigation to this day into the matter, criminal or otherwise.

It is only because of the work of Tuam historian Catherine Corless that it is now being publicised. I thought I'd never say this, but I thank the Daily Mail (actually the Irish version is far less swivel eyed than it's mother in England) for publicising this issue.