Mass grave of children and infants in Tuam, Co. Galway.

I also never mentioned that people starved in Ireland. My comment was that thousands starved during WW2, which is not a difficult thing to find proof of.

yes, which is why i responded to your post...
babies starve to death in irish institution, "but... but,... but,... millions starved to death during WW11 the proof is easy to find"

Moderator Action: Some spam and bickering deleted. Please stick to the topic, and keep the discussion civil.

Me being disdainful? I'm being demonized simply for trying to set someone's hyperbole straight. Again, I was bothered by someone mentioning that children were being thrown into a pit and left to die, with no shred of evidence to indicate that actually happened. This whole diatribe has been a result of my comment to that, nothing more.
Whose "hyperbole"? :huh: I never said the kids were alive before being thrown in the pit, but I'm the one you've been accusing of overreacting, and demanding I provide "proof."

And where did I ever mention that I knew how these people thought? All I've been saying that there should be some actual proof before making wild accusations. There might indeed have been a murder committed at some point, but without any real evidence no one should be pointing fingers.
The bodies ARE the proof! Atrocities like this do NOT happen other than deliberately.

And please stop playing the "distant past" card. 1961 is just two years before I was born, and I am not the oldest person on this forum.

I also never mentioned that people starved in Ireland. My comment was that thousands starved during WW2, which is not a difficult thing to find proof of. I was just pointing out that during those times, there may have been some extenuating circumstances for the conditions at the institution, and not simply some nefarious conspiracy. Which has been the general attitude in this thread. It may have had nothing to do with the conditions reported, but without knowing more of the facts people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. Which almost everyone posting here seems to be eager to do. They read one article, which mentions a mass grave, and all of a sudden there's some horrendous plot to exterminate defenceless children going on. Frankly, I'm reminded of a lynch mob after reading some of the posts here.
Why are you so anxious to exonerate these despicable child-killers? Was one of them a distant relative of yours?

Moderator Action: Please note the moderator warning posted above, and post in a more constructive manner in this RD thread. You're attempting an ad hominem attack here, and the questions are pretty clearly trollish.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Why are you so anxious to exonerate these despicable child-killers? Was one of them a distant relative of yours?

Where did I ever say I was trying to exonerate them? I'm not. Nor have I said there shouldn't be an investigation. All along I've been saying to put things into perspective and not blow things out of proportion, nothing more. I'm frankly I'm getting really, really tired of these attacks and having my words twisted into new meanings. If you people want to feel I'm a demon for my trying to keep things reasonable and rational, so be it. I just don't have time for your narrow mindedness any longer. I see now it was a mistake in coming to Off-Topic and expecting to have some sort of reasonable discussion. I won't make that mistake again.

Moderator Action: More spam deleted. Again, keep your disagreements civil. Don't resort to trolling or flaming.

Well Willem, you are in the unfortunate situation of calling for reasonable care in discussing the wrongs of the Catholic Church on the internet. Wrongs often deeply institutional. Good luck with that. All manners of people hate for reasons good and bad.

Moderator Action: This sort of post constitutes trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

What, and calling me disgusting isn't? Do I detect a double standard going on here?

Moderator Action: Editing your initial post to insert comments about the first infraction is public discussion of moderator action, which is also against the rules. You should have sent a PM instead.

I don't know. I'm 30-40 years late to this particular party I think. But if we use the terminology of today, which I think we're doing, I'm not so sure that it is wholly centered that neatly. By my approximation, the texts I base my particular flavor of religion on are pretty lacking when it comes to abortion. There's a good deal of secularism mixed into my fractious camp.

I'd agree that scripture doesn't really say much, if anything about abortion directly. But I do not see where you are missing the central use of scripture to justify anti-abortion laws and practices. Anti-abortion fervor in the US is driven almost entirely by religion. Sure, it's not a neat fit - anytime someone brushes off a text from the bronze age and uses it as a guide to modern life, practices and technology, it will be an odd fit practically by definition. But it still happens and people are all too happy to shoehorn their religious texts into arguments where it doesn't logically belong and try and shove it into secular discourse where it also does not belong.

I would have expected more from a former moderator of this site but I guess I was mistaken.

Going to defend her for a minute; you don't know her experiences with the catholic church.

The catholic church has enabled many pedophiles and continues to do so. The institution should be burnt down, eliminated root by root. Even the new pope can't do anything to rid the church of it's taint, the legacy of abuse, murder, bigotry and hypocrisy.

The church has done so much to hurt others, why is it of any surprise to you that people might take issue with it's very existence?

I'd agree that scripture doesn't really say much, if anything about abortion directly. But I do not see where you are missing the central use of scripture to justify anti-abortion laws and practices. Anti-abortion fervor in the US is driven almost entirely by religion. Sure, it's not a neat fit - anytime someone brushes off a text from the bronze age and uses it as a guide to modern life, practices and technology, it will be an odd fit practically by definition. But it still happens and people are all too happy to shoehorn their religious texts into arguments where it doesn't logically belong and try and shove it into secular discourse where it also does not belong.

Some do, yar. Maybe even most, if we want preponderance. Maybe very nearly all of the people that can't even cut out exceptions for lifesaving measures. But that group isn't nearly all. If I lost what faith I possess tomorrow it's unlikely that I'm suddenly going to be cool with the issue.

Going to defend her for a minute; you don't know her experiences with the catholic church.

The catholic church has enabled many pedophiles and continues to do so. The institution should be burnt down, eliminated root by root. Even the new pope can't do anything to rid the church of it's taint, the legacy of abuse, murder, bigotry and hypocrisy.

The church has done so much to hurt others, why is it of any surprise to you that people might take issue with it's very existence?

And those are some of the better reasons to hate. Calls to war are written on similarly good causes often enough.

It's not a surprise actually. I'm not a big fan of organized religion in general, but I can especially see why some people would despise the Catholic church. My feelings for it just don't run that deep though, I was raised as a Protestant, and I don't see it going away anytime soon. So people should learn to deal with it.

And I gues we have to deal with your continued ignorance:

And where did I ever mention that I knew how these people thought? All I've been saying that there should be some actual proof before making wild accusations.

Emaciated childrens' bodies dumped in a sceptic tank.

I also never mentioned that people starved in Ireland. My comment was that thousands starved during WW2, which is not a difficult thing to find proof of.

Didn't know WW II ended in 1961 in Canada. You forgot to mention the 'natives'. FYI, nobody calls Native Canadians natives anymore.

Frankly, I'm reminded of a lynch mob after reading some of the posts here.

Might have something to do with your continued ignorant comments interspaced with smilies nobody is smiling at:

Gee, terribly sorry for not being omniscient. :rolleyes:

And your point is exactly? :confused:

Where did I ever say I was trying to exonerate them? I'm not. Nor have I said there shouldn't be an investigation.

That would certainly be the bloody limit.

What, and calling me disgusting isn't? Do I detect a double standard going on here?

That might be your own. You may not have noticed, but if you ever did have a point it's long lost in your self-centered postings. Check this page: see how many times you make a comment. Then check if you say anything new or constructive.

Moderator Action: Trolling. Please heed previous warnings, and post in a manner befitting the [RD] designation.

Moderator Action: Willem & JEELEN banned for two & three days respectively. Anyone wishing to continue bickering in this thread can look forward to the same.

So people should learn to deal with it.

Essentially you're telling people who may have been the victims of child abuse, forced adoption, stigma preached by the church, Magdelan Asylums/Laundries, homophobia etc to "deal with it", not cool.

Your lack of empathy is quite alarming, just because you weren' abused by the Catholic church doesn't lessen the horror it's inflicted and it's certainly not a lynch mob or a witchhunt, given the number of years the church has existed uncriticised, unimpeded and the continual lack of investigations and failure to hold the church in general to account.

Remember it's only been fairly recently in which the church has begun to try to do anything and it's too late.

I genuinely don't mean to be hostile but im perplexed and alarmed by your blase stance on the matter Willem.

It's never too late to do something. It's never too late to punish the guilty so long as they live. It's never too late to adopt a stance that doesn't sound like Boko Haram could have written it.

There was a bit of deflection on the news saying oh it used to be a workhouse and not all famine graves were marked, the grave found in the seventies might have been an unmarked famine one...

Eh the historian who researched this used the resister of brirths and deaths - the children weren't famine victims.

A week after this has broken and it we haven't discussed it in work. Catholic Ireland is trying hard to ignore this.

I had a quick look at a cousin's page on Facebook that I have hidden from my news feed because of the amount of Catholic propaganda coming from her. In the past week there was one anti - abortion story, one generic prayer and one flyer about a prayer meeting. Not a peep about hundreds of dead babies just up the road.

^ Sad. How can the country start to heal if this is just swept away again?

Top Bottom