1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass murderer Anders Breivik threatens Hunger Strike for better ... Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aroddo, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I say give the guy counselling till he realizes he's committed a crime and feels remorse.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

He's not capable of remorse.

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

How do you know?

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm 99% sure, let's put it this way. He kept on killing, and killing, and killing. Even though he had to see all the blood, guts, and dead bodies, yet he still kept on killing. Kids were on their knees begging for their lives, and he kept on killing, and killing, and killing.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yes. I know what he did.

I'm rather inclined to believe he's insane. But the authorities seem to think he isn't. In which case, it should be possible to counsel him into a state of remorse.

I wouldn't envy him that, though.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Unfortunately he was sane. He just had a warped political agenda like Hitler.

Even if he was right, he went about the solution in completely the wrong way. All it does is draw sympathy towards the victims.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Ah. But you see, you and I differ. I'm inclined to think that killing people is a sign of insanity.

(I know, I know. It's a ridiculous point of view.)

8. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

He has to live in those conditions and only a playstation 2? I'm sure he is learning his lesson everyday and the victims familys must feel great about his punishment.

9. Aroddo

Aroddo Emperor

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

How much does it cost to keep them in prison? It's around $30,000 a year isn't it?

Someone suggested that the US was actually trying to reintroduce slavery by incarcerating such large numbers of black people and obliging them to work, essentially for nothing. I don't know how much mileage there is in this view - probably not a lot. But I found the idea interesting.

11. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Well, imho the point of a judicial system isn't really to teach lessons, it is to make sure the criminal doesn't do it again, and considering Norway's low recidivism rate they seem to be doing it right. Of course Breivik 'deserves' a much harsher treatment, but one man -no matter how despicable he and his crime- isn't worth changing the system.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Totally agree. It is to make sure they don't do it again. And with people like this guy, life in prison is the only way. Cruelty and punishment leads down a slippery slope. But I still don't believe this guy should have better living conditions than I had in the military.

I will always believe that there's just a certain segment of society that will never be able to live peacefully with the rest of us. And for our good, we must segregate them. Personally, I'd rather send them to an island, and let them fend for themselves. Maybe some place in the South Pacific. A place with kangaroos.

13. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

He actually had a WoW account. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2423043490

14. timtofly

timtofly One Day

So he starves to death and then proves to every one that he was insane?

15. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

Rehabilitation should be part of the system but punishment/retribution should also be part of it. It's great to rehabilitate someone and make them productive....but if I am a parent of one of the childrens whose brains were splattered all over the rocks of the island because of this guys' views, I wouldnt be happy to see all the amenities he is getting.

16. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

That's better than a captains cabin, although warships arent designed for comfit as the engineers try to squeeze as much combat capabilities as possible.

I have to agree.

Hes cell should be half that size, without any electronic entertainment, without any money allowance (unless he works and earns that money)

17. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

This mass murderer lives in conditions equal to or better than anyone in my apartment complex.

Norway I respect you for your stability and all but this is kind of ridiculous.

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

19. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Breivik is in pre-trial solitary confinement in a civilized country.

20. Azale

Azale Deity

Norway has their way of doing things. I don't see any reason to mock it. The point is to isolate Breivik from the rest of society. He's a piece of human garbage so of course it feels disgusting, but it's better than the macho revenge fantasy stuff that contributes to the deplorable state of American prisons.

I mean, if there was a proved causal link between harshness of prisons and lower rates of crime, that would be an interesting rebuttal to Norway's strategy. I don't think there is though.