Massive AI invasion

Flying Dutchman

Chieftain
I was playing the map Europe.mp
I started on the British Islands and built just a couple of cities in scandinavia to give the AI some time to build cities. Then later in the game I started an attack on the Babilonians In west Russia. Just using Tanks, Mech Inf and Howitsers, because the Babilonians did'nt have anything to defend themselves they lost terrain very quickly.

Meanwhile, they had called on their alliance with the Vikings in East Russia. Now guess what happened. After I had lost some cities, I checked how many troops they had been using to attack me. They were having about 150 Armors!!! :confused: And they were using them all against me.

Now I haven't ever seen such an invasion.
Has anyone else seen an AI invasion like this? It would be fun to read about it.

By the way, I survived.:lol:

only if you give them VERY cheap units either through editing the rules .txt file or just using the good ol civ II editor.

I had a large invasion, not as big as your but seeing 4 transports loaded with units sure scared me.
And the craziest thing about it was they took one city, and stoped, and asked for peace (Which of course my democratic goverment obligied.)

So I had a revolution (with statue of liberty) and nuked that city killing most of their armed forces in one go before taking half their empire before setting up a democrtic government the following year with an empire twice the size and an old enemy wanting to make peace, which I did... though not for long :).

This surely sounds strange to me. I thought I had seen something strange when I was attacked :tank:, but I also haven't seen a AI transport filled just with assault troops in all those years :confused: . I thought naval wars was nothing for AI, but it seems that you've proved that it is possible.

By the way, do you use nukes often?:nuke:

Ive found that somtimes when i use the Europe map, the countries that start off in Russia have no countries around them to block them from expanding, and no wars to fight to use up their resources. This often leads to an insanely huge enemy empire that ive seen mass hundreds of units against mine. Ive found that the only real way to defeat an empire like that (which has nuke protection in all its cites) is to go to war with it, and wait untill its units are attacking your cities, and then nuke the enemy masses while in your teority, this kills a lot of your own citizens, but somtimes its the only way. Then you hold off in mountains with fortresses untill you can mass an army of a decent size and reataliate. Any sugestions?

I had one game with 7 civs it was like 1930 or something, there were 3 superpowers i was one of them. we had a huge naval battle i had around 35-40 ships(AEGIS, B.ships, destroyers and subs, w/ nukes) and there was 6 carriers loaded with c. missles, stealth fighters and stealth bombers.

The other 2 superpowers had some 55-60 ships and it was me against them :) i won

Sorry for being quiet for centuries, I was having troubles with my hardware.:confused: :mad:

But I'm back again. I haven't seen great things happening on my computer yet, but I do recognise the great naval batlle. Also with About 80 ships in close combat. This was on prince level and because the AI had the same ships as me I used a method I almost never use on land. I just nuked their fleet. :nuke: :D .

After I did this it was quite easy to controll the sees, but that didn't last for long as the AI discovered rocketry. That was the end of my fleet of 20 battleships they simply were shot out of the see. It's not funny when you have to wait for one minute every turn just because of AI missile attacks. But I finally won against this player using helicopters, cruise missiles and para's. the game was over before I was able to conquer the other pathatic players (still in industrial period). I was forced to go on retirement:cool:

*** So I had a revolution (with statue of liberty) and nuked that city *** .... you know you can do this without a revolution if you just use spies to do it. its one of my favorite ways to conquer the world under democracy. start a war by nuking one city. of course you end up at war with the world but you lose no reputation (/rolls eyes) and being at war with distant rivals is usually no big deal.

the zulus were anoying me with their tanks so i nuked them into the stone age and left themto clean up the mess:nuke:

it was funny because they nuked me back but i had sdi so i just wiped them out:nuke:

several thousand glow in the dark zulus

Originally posted by rysingsun
*** So I had a revolution (with statue of liberty) and nuked that city *** .... you know you can do this without a revolution if you just use spies to do it. its one of my favorite ways to conquer the world under democracy. start a war by nuking one city. of course you end up at war with the world but you lose no reputation (/rolls eyes) and being at war with distant rivals is usually no big deal.

actually i have to disagree with you on that "being at war with distant rivals is usually no big deal"
almost always, even the distant empires get 10 or so Transports and Carriers to get their troops and planes and Missiles to your shores and other Naval Units (Destroyers, Battleships, etc.) to fight off any of your ships if you have any and your Transports if you plan to invade while they're transporting their main armies across the oceans. the AI cheats this way (of course it cheats a lot more ways, too - more than one turn in Democracy in discontent, still no Anarchy, no Anarchy at all if they switch gov't - they get the benefits/drawbacks of the new intended gov't immediately). once it has a tech, it will have tons of the military units that the tech offers.
i was playing a game like that once.
i was Democratic Russia.
France, my Peace-Treaty companion, had built a city on my core continent, on a peninsula that was completely useless (bad surroundings - jungle). I decided that I would not stand for the colonization of my core continent. Since I had an arsenal of about 15 Nukes and 30 Cruise Missiles, and 16 Armor units, 5 Veteran Spies, I thought: I'll just nuke the settlement, occupy, and the invaders will be vanquished. How wrong was I. I had a GIANT overseas empire. during the middle ages i followed a policy of "ultra-expansionism" and fought wars with two empires - completely assimilating one and partitioning the other with the Japanese (a long-time ally) until only 3 cities were left and it was obvious that they'd be paralyzed and would fall prey to the other empires' demands for tribute in echange for allowing them to remain sovereign. America, my ally and greatest foreign economic benefactor, was so far away from me when my "terrorist attack" hapened that i thought that it would never get to my territories and the world, shocked to see a Democratic country do this kind of thing, declared war. I naturally occupied the half-dead city only to see it get occupied by Japan two turns later. America and France took my Northern Overseas States. Carthaginian forces attacked my Eastern Colonies and seemed satisfied to gain the Manhattan Project that was located in the main city of that area becase they refrained from anymore attacks. France and Japan began to overrun my core continent. I had no way out except try to Nuke the invading armies. This, however, destroyed my lands - people died of starvation. Within 3 more turns, the far-off Americans were already starting to join in the division of the western portion of my core continent, replacing Japan as an invader because they had decided to turn towards my Southern Overseas States. I tried to at least cease-fire the main invaders so that I could still have the few major cities on my core continent and survive until the end of the game (2020 - it was currently 1997). No-one responded. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my economic and intellectual base were my Overseas States and the Eastern Colonies. So, basically, while the Total Cost dropped significantly, it was still about 240 gold, while my Total Income plunged to 189 gold. One reason for this Depression (a recession had already begun about 5 turns/years before my Nuke attack) was that the Trading Cities were mainly in the North and East. With the Trading Bloc out of my control, there was almost no support for my economy. My Science rate was now 14 turns per tech. Pre-War status: 2 turns per tech. So, I depleted my Nuke supply by Nuke-bombing several Carriers and Battleships. My Cruise Missiles were mainly concentrated in Smolensk, now controlled by America. So, I have no way of immediately taking out the occupying armies. My Armors were the only things that could save me.
Guess what......

THEY DIDNT:mad: :confused: :cry:
The Americans took Minsk and St. Petersburg. Now Moscow was virtually up for grabs. Most of my improvements (including SAM BAttery Coastal Fortress and City Walls) were sold by the gov't to try to gain more money to last.
My gold continued to decrease rapidly.
So then France, obviously for revenge purposes, Nuked Moscow - their way of saying "what goes around comes around"
Occupied Moscow for the glory of their Fundamentalist Archbishop Louis.
I lost. My empire partitioned.
And It was MOSTLY FAR-OFF NATIONS that devoured my empire!

Originally posted by Angry Roman
Did the AI really build Carriers? I`ve NEVER seen that happen before! Did you change the rules.txt?

no
it was original rules.txt, original units.gif, orginal EVERYTHING
Civ2 Version 2.42

the AI got like 16 Carriers and constantly pounded me with aerial units while their troops landed near my cities and occupied them

The Japanese on world.mp are very often too stupid to build triremes to get their units to the mainland, so one game I found the Japanese after 1500 A.D. and found that not only did they never move off of their island, they did nothing but build elephants. there had to be well over 200 of them

I don't see large AI land invasions, just thousands of cruise msls to take out my BBs, and multiple nuke attacks...in the same turn...on the same city:rolleyes:...which is protected by SDI!!!!:wallbash:
Of course that city didn't have SDI, it was just in range-the AI knows which cities have it and won't waste it's nukes on thoseones...:rolleyes:

I once played the Europe map, and started by colonising all of France, and expanding with settlements into Germany (driving back a horde of Germans), down into Italy (where I allied with a Carthagian power against a weak Roman citystate, and into Spain, where noone blocked my path.
The Germans were pushed into Poland, ad the Romans subdued by my mighty hordes. The Carthagians came to rule Sicilia and Southern Italy, while I took northern Italy and Spain. But then, the Russians moved outh. They had colonised all of Finland, Sweden and Norway, and now sent troops, and made a breachhead in Denmark. In the meantime, a powerful army, that I could not see the full strenght off, moved down the Balkans, and vanquished the Greeks. Then they turned to me, and took Germany and Northern Italy without problem. I think they had 100 Armors and an extensive airforce, as well as a horde of mixed troops

I was playing a game on the World.mp and I finally discovered the Japenese civ on Japan :p. The next decades they stayed on their isle. But, to be sure I built a city (Oxford) on present-day Korea to check on them periodically. And suddenly, an invasion force of 5 transports travelled the sea between Asia and Japan and they started to attack Oxford and not long thereafter conquered it. After that, they continued the military operation in Russia, to be finally stopped in Germany(!), by my line of howitzers, armors and marines :devil2:. They succeeded in:

1) Nearly destroying the powerful and much respected :worship: Russian civilization.
2) Became a world power out almost nothing.
3) Last but not least - they succeeded in me wetting my jeans three times :mischief:

Ultimately, of course, I drove them back to the island they came from and I after many centuries of warfare, I succeeded in conquering Japan. :ar15:

once i played an island map and i was germans. the americans cme and threatened me. i say no and they have about 6 trasports heading to berlin :tank:

Playing my first game on Prince level last night, I found out about military might.

Everything was going along average really. I was having a shocker and many. many years / centuries behind the world. I was on a central continent, from the equator to the arctic.
Zulus below, with the Germans / Spaniards / Greeks sharing the remaing continents to the west and east.

Well I started trading with the Spaniards, and making some good money. Revolution to Republic helped, and I was going along nicely.
Well they declare War on Zulu's and we're after me if I didn't join. As they were the strong power and trade power I obliged.

Well that was a bad move. Within 20 goes, my islands were under occupied Zulu control, as well as some of my larger cities, noteably Minsk & St Petersburg... They were landing on the main land with 20 odd marines and alot of other armor.

Once Kiev fell for a second time, I sent a settler in a boat off to Spanish territory to restart my civilization, deserted Moscow and focused my protection on the northern half of my civilization. (The continent was separated by a 12 square high and wide swampland. Was a shocking continent to be on).

Anyway the Zulus kept coming, the Spanish turned on me and took out the city I built near them. I finally held them back at Yartusk (my knew capital - on an island north of the continent).. Then I was bombarded with 20 battleships.. The coastal fortress held them off for quite a few years. 75% of the battleships were lost before finally the island was taken and the civilization crumbled. The war lasted from 1915 - 2030 before finally conquering. Unfortunatley when 2020 hit, I had a civilization of 210,000 - so no doubt a lousy score.

So that was the worst AI invasion I've experienced but is sure to get worse when I have a country worth sending alot of forces to.

Originally posted by Windupcommunist
The Japanese on world.mp are very often too stupid to build triremes to get their units to the mainland, so one game I found the Japanese after 1500 A.D. and found that not only did they never move off of their island, they did nothing but build elephants. there had to be well over 200 of them

That may be true in random map games, but not world map (at least not for me). The Japs usually colonize America, wipe out anybody allready there, and reset their Capitol to somewhere in modern day Colombia. This happens to me a lot.

Top Bottom