Massive leak reveals how top politicians secretly helped Uber

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62057321

Thousands of leaked files have exposed how Uber courted top politicians, and how far it went to avoid justice.

They detail the extensive help Uber got from leaders such as Emmanuel Macron and ex-EU commissioner Neelie Kroes.

They also show how the taxi firm's former boss personally ordered the use of a "kill switch" to prevent raiding police from accessing computers.

Uber says its "past behaviour wasn't in line with present values" and it is a "different company" today.

The Uber Files are a trove of more than 124,000 records, including 83,000 emails and 1,000 other files involving conversations, spanning 2013 to 2017.

They were leaked to the Guardian, and shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and a number of media organisations including BBC Panorama. They reveal, for the first time, how a $90m-a-year lobbying and public relations effort recruited friendly politicians to help in its campaign to disrupt Europe's taxi industry.

I wonder what the fallout of this will be!

I use Lyft.

I use Lyft.

Similar problem?

Think Uber and co took advantage of a lack of regulation in some areas.

Since some places did regulate taxi driving bears me how anyone essentially became one.

I wonder what the fallout of this will be!
My money is on nothing. Who is going to punish whom? The politicians punishing the people that pay them? The politicians punishing themselves? I guess the voters punishing the politicians is a possibility but I would not bet on that.

Similar to the love of Elon Musk in spite of his odious ways and evil labor practices, Uber gets a pass for all of their shadiness because it's so much nicer calling and directing an uber than it catching a taxi and trying to get somewhere.

They also show how the taxi firm's former boss personally ordered the use of a "kill switch" to prevent raiding police from accessing computers

*me, sweating, trying to decide whether I hate Uber more than the cops*

*me, sweating, trying to decide whether I hate Uber more than the cops*
The cops occasionally raid places during the war on drugs and stop crypto farms.

Uber won't even do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom