1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Massive slowdown mid-late game

Discussion in 'Old World' started by Stringer1313, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I don't know if it's just my computer but this issue has recurred. Is this something that will be worked on, or does this just mean my computer sucks? I don't think it's a graphics issue because I turned it to minimal and it's still a crawl.

2. Dale

Dale Deity

We are continuously looking at performance. Whilst we have made some inroads, I think some of the recent builds it has come back a bit. But yes, performance is something we are really keen to address.

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Thanks so much. (Also FWIW I changed it to a small map and the same issues happened.)

4. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Whether coincidental or not, I've noticed some improvement in this area. The thing that has been happening since the beginning is that at some point i get that yellow warning message about TooMuchRequests or some kind of overflow issue and it seems that's when things get bad.

5. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 Prince

I also want to add that this was my only problem with the game. It got to a point where my cursor turned into the spinning thing that usually indicates an incoming crash, sometimes if I even hovered over something. And I'm playing on the lowest possible graphic setting.

6. nolegskitten

nolegskitten Chieftain

It's not necessarily the graphic side that is chugging, and as the game is built on Unity I guess it's harder to optimize (framework constraints).

There are simply lots of stuff (=entities) in the game. Smaller maps do help.

If you start having warning messages, best to undo, save, quit the game and reload. Not too fun but it's relatively quick at least if you are on a SSD and it will clean up the undo history and your game will be running better for some time.

Late game though, specially on large maps, you will have to redo that from time to time. I trust Mohawk to improve this in time, but we're still in EA and with weekly patches the perfs of course go back and forth depending on the version. I have a fairly beefy graphic card I bought last year and 24GB of good ram, but my CPU was bought in 2013 and I have always been able to complete my games, even on huge maps.