1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master & 2 rookies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by MattiK, Jun 28, 2015.

1. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Imp. Knoedel has agreed to lead through two rookies, Phylhom and I, through the challenge of Prince difficulty level. Map was made by some script called EarthEvolution2. I as Julius Caesar start exactly where expected.

Starting location and immediate surroundings are remarkably similar to scenario Earth (Civ4). Oh, and there is Knoedel's scout! Becouse there are fishies nearby, I decide build work boat first to tap them, quickly starting to increase my population. Phylhom's turn next.

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

For future reference, turn yields and resource bubbles on when taking screenshots.

3. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

lol wait, you are calling Knoedel a master???

way to give yourself a bigger rep than reality knoedel!! :lol:

4. Phylhom

Phylhom King

5. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

You spent first turn for exploration? One tile north and you can tap on wheat, marble, and stone. In addition Nile's flood plains provide 3 food without farming. Have fun with cottages and watermills ;)

[edit]
    Make it north-east and you can mine plains hill too.

6. Phylhom

Phylhom King

Hi Mattik! I like to explore in initial turns! I always do that!:). Thank you for the tip!

7. Imp. Knoedel

I thought Phylhom planned on settling on that coastal plains tile he is on right now.

In general MattiK is right, it often is better to not delay settling your first city for too long. Even one turn is not worth it unless the position you move to is clearly superior to the one you started in.

Just spam cottages on all the flood plains without resources, no need to wait for Watermills.

8. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

I thought your settler was the one at the bottom, but now I look closer, and it is warrior. Oops! So um... Either settle on to current location by the coast or move 1 tile to some direction to get more land resources. South-west gives stone within BFC while south-east (or just east) gives 2 hills. By the way, if you make city onto east tile (from settler's current location), you've got Suez Canal ;)

9. Imp. Knoedel

At this point I'd really just settle in place. Hills really aren't that great if they aren't riverside. In fact I would most likely just build a fort on that desert hill to the east for a Suez canal. However if you do want a city on that desert hill instead of a fort I would still recommend you don't settler your capital there but rather your second or third city. In that case you should settle two tiles to the west or so.

10. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Does not need be on the hill. Can be on tile between that hill and settler's current location. Of course the hill makes perfect choice for fort which makes perfect defensible bottleneck for anyone coming from Eurasia. Settling on floodplains will provide more food = growth than plains though, and then plains tile can be used either for watermill or workshop for decent production.

11. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Turn send. I took screenshot with Print Scrn key and for some reason that leaves out user interface and terrain resource icons & yields. Anyway on first screenshot you can see worker's hut on marble tile which provides 2 food and 2 production. You should also see 2 clam resource on the right (east) side of the peninsula within city's work area (aka big fat cross). Right to the left side is fish resource.

In this turn I moved warrior into city to defend it. I started research of bronze working so I can chop trees with workers and train axemen for war. Totally pointless to research masonry at this point of time becouse marble resource is in the woods. Workboat will be ready in 9 turns and population will grow in 10 turns (if I remember numbers right). My intention is to start work on barracks for the 1 turn before population growth and turn after that start with a worker. Gonna do couple mines for better production and hopefully one of the hills has copper.

I have a feeling this continent is way too crowded and I could set up only 2 additional cities before borders of others come in the way. So what after barracks and bronze working? Straight to iron working for praetorians with their 8 strenght? Or catapults first? Which one is better suited for early war, or can I start it already with axemen? I know I can use axemen to deny important resources from enemies, like copper, and even capture cities that don't yet have culture defense bonus. But what about capitals that could have archer or 2 for defense with culture defense bonus or even city walls?

12. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

There won't be copper in Rome's BFC to get axemen. Iron will be available with iron working and praets on this map. Beeline for Praets if you are going the conquering route. They are powerful enough without cats in the early game.

13. Alvarez

Alvarez History Master

Can't believe I didn't know that was even possible. Feeling pretty dumb right now. [emoji54]

14. Imp. Knoedel

That's untrue. Flood plains are a feature like forests or jungle, hence settling on one will remove it and only leave desert in place. Flood plains are as a matter of fact just about the last tiles you would ever want to settle on. Also forget watermills and workshops, this is his capital and apart from the Wheat and the Marble will only get cottages. Production will be low, yes, but it's gonna be very good in commerce. Any production he does need he can get with the whip.
    What are you defending against? This isn't Deity, you can rest assured neither your neighbors nor barbarians will attack Rome within the next 50 turns or so, so you can just use the warrior for exploration.
    Why would you want to rush with axes when you are playing Rome of all civs? :crazyeye: Research some basic worker techs and then head for Iron Working, you have one of the most overpowered unique units in the game, no reason not to use it.
    Two cities of your own are fine if you are going for Legions*, which you should if you are playing Rome.
    Consider researching Pottery for the Granary, which is the most important building in the game, maybe even Sailing for Lighthouse and Writing for Library, though those can be delayed until after Iron Working depending on how quickly you want to go to war. I can not tell you the optimal military strategy yet because you have absolutely no intel. Thus first of all you need to explore and scout out your neighbors and then attack them based on the information you gather. I guess what might work best is if you captured all their lightly defended cities in a first wave with Legions alone, make peace, and then finish them off once you have catapults.
    Also you might want to train some warriors before building a Barracks to use them to scout, and later on as garrisons for safe inland cities or extra happiness with Hereditary Rule.

To be fair, a fort only allows passage for your own units, while if you found a city also units of civs that have open borders with you can pass as well.
    *I know the game is calling them Praetorians, but they are Legions for all intents and purposes.

15. Imp. Knoedel

So where's the turn at?

16. Phylhom

Phylhom King

Sent to Imp. Knoedel!

17. Imp. Knoedel

What the... Phylhom what did I tell you about wandering around with your settler? You are wasting valuable turns.

18. Phylhom

Phylhom King

Yes! I Know! I will correct my moves now![emoji1]

19. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

This time I got screenshot right

Work boats need go around the peninsula in order to get to the clams.

20. Imp. Knoedel

Why would you do that when you have fish literally right next door?

Also get that warrior out of Rome. Knowledge is key, and you're not getting any exploration done by sitting at home twiddling your thumbs.