Master of Myrror 1.0 preview (release date June 4th)

Drift

It's a boy!
Master of Myrror 1.0 is only 3 days away!

Release date has been set to June 4th and so far nothing has suggested that I wouldn’t be able to do it by then.

The mod started it’s progress in early January and I’ve worked on it intensively throughout the last five months. We entered beta testing and further development phase in late February. Since that, the mod has changed quite a bit. It’s safe to say that only the fundamentals have remained the same - everything else has been picked apart and rebuilt. I really thought I would have the mod finished sometime in March-April. What has delayed me is that as the project went on, I got more ambitious. I wanted to make the mod even better and bigger. I wanted to make sure that the game balance is so good that I can honestly say that I’ve done my absolute best.

And now it’s practically finished. It’s often said that artists can’t give up their works and want to polish them to perfection without realising that “really good” is as best as you can get. Without a doubt, I would’ve kept polishing the mod even further but luckily I hit a deadline. In two weeks of time I’m on my honeymoon and couldn’t care less about the mod for six weeks. ;) Now that I’ve made the decision about the release date, I feel good. The mod is indeed finished and even though there remains things I want to add to it, they can wait for a future date.

Therefore, I present to you, a sneak preview of Master of Myrror 1.0:

Master of Myrror is based loosely on a classic computer game Master of Magic by SimTex. It’s by no means a remake or even a Master of Magic mod. They share a lot, but have even more differences. Don’t expect to relive Master of Magic. Expect an excellent fantasy mod for Civilizaton 3.

Master of Myrror isn’t in competition with Warhammer Fantasy Mod. The two mods both deal with fantasy but they are so different that you shouldn’t really consider making a choice between the two - get both of them! :)

Master of Myrror revolves around wars over resources that include the four types of magic and eight different race resources that each give you access to new unit lines. Each of these unit lines has its own strength and you may want to step carefully around the mage with trolls. Or you probably shouldn’t start a naval war against the mage with men and their longships. The race resource system makes each game a new experience as you can never know what you are going to get as the resources are very rare - usually just one of each on the map.

The twelve mages are divided into four factions - chaos, death, life and nature. Each have their own units, strengths and weaknesses. You will have to adapt your playing style for different mages. For example, death mages rely on superiour numbers while life mages swear by speed and skill.

Mod uses ~130 custom units and I’ve maintained high requirements for their quality. 10 of the 12 leaderheads are fan made and just like with the units, I’ve accepted only the best graphics for them. Terrain graphics are done originally by Snoopy, but I’ve given them a new, twilight look that fits the magical dimension of Myrror spot on. Mod’s texts have been edited for large part, but there is always room for improvement in this matter. Rest assured, civilopedia contains all the information you need and some more, science advisor talks about the techs of the mod and so on.

The response the mod has caused has been practically 100% positive. I’ve yet to receive any negative criticism about the mod in whole apart from not everyone liking the fantasy setting. I encourage you to step aboard this Friday when Master of Myrror 1.0 hits Civilization Fanatics Center. Even if you are already familiar with the mod from some of its early beta versions and wasn’t hooked back then, I strongly suggest you to try again. A lot has changed since then and I feel the mod has really grown to maturity during our beta testing.

Anyway, thank you for reading. If you didn't read this mammoth post, I understand perfectly. Here are some pretty pictures for everyone but especially for those not interested in my monologue about the mod ;) (click to enlarge).

I hope you'll be downloading the mod this Friday and I hope you enjoy it as much as I (and my excellent beta testers) have. :)

Mages of Myrror:

Units of the mod:

Units available through different race resources:

Units of the life mages: (Kinboat’s Angel is still missing)

Units of the death mages:

Units of the chaos mages:

Units of the nature mages:

In-game screenshots:

Man this will be good. Sorry I couldn't help with the beta. I started to then got busy with my own mod. This looks like it's turned ot to be a really good fantasy mod. 1 of the top 5 for sure for Civ games. Very unique it's own way.

Thank you everyone. :)

Don't worry about it tjedge1. I know how modder's life is - I've been so busy that even though I really wanted to test Warhammer 2.0, I never had the time for it. :(

- -

1.0 is coming along nicely. Only final touches left. I'm confident that the release date holds. :)

Download will be just one file in .zip format with a size around 190-200MB. Patching from beta versions is unfortunately not possible - 1.0 has to be downloaded from scratch.

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!

TWO good things happen on June 4th.... I graduate from Highschool and then come home to play MoM!

Top Bottom