1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Orion 2 unofficial patch

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Rocco.40, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

- save it in folder that has the other maps, that you already found /150/mods/maps
    - it will show in Launcher after restart of the Launcher
    - if it doesn't show, then make sure the extension is really .CFG and not for example .cfg.txt or something

2. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I found it. It was accidentally saved in the MOO2 folder.
    I moved it to the correct folder, however, even though I saved with the cfg extention, Explorer shows MAP5_GM3_MP.cfg as a text document.
    I don't think Notepad recognizes cfg as it's own format.
    I could try to resave it in WordPad or MS Word?
    Don't know if that would work.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

yes, by default win explorer shows .cfg as a text doc. nothing wrong with that.
    but does Launcher now show the map?

4. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

5. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

can you try again, this time by right-clicking the link and choosing 'save-target-as' from pop-up menu, pointing it to the /maps folder.
    that should do the trick

6. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I think we are getting close. I believe it's not finding it because it's not in the correct folder.
    So, lets figure this out.
    I have 1.50 installed in the C:/Program Files (x86)/GalaxyClient/Games/Master of Orion 2 folder from when Gog installed it.
    In that 150 folder, there is a mods/150 folder which just has the languages (150c, 150i, 150m).
    mods/ice for it's appropriate files.
    and a mods/maps folder. This is where I first placed it.

If I avoid the mods folder and look into the 150/launcher folder, there is a MOO2.1.50.11 folder.
    That too has a 150/mods folder.
    In it there is a 150 folder, again for the language folders.
    There is the ice folder again.
    and the maps folder.
    In this maps folder within the launcher main folder is where I just right clicked and saved the file.
    So, now it's in both locations where I thought it should be.

EDIT: Oh wait. I saved it again into a maps folder and it shows up now. TY.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  7. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

ok, good it works now.
    fyi- if you look in Launcher menu 'Tools' you can see 'Mods directory' which automatically brings you to correct /mods/
    (and subfolder of it is /maps/)

fyi2-the Launcher directory you mention is place where all original install files reside. they are not used in-game, but you can restore files from here by c/p should files become corrupted.

plasmacannon likes this.
  8. neilkaz

neilkaz King

I believe I've noticed a small bug in ICE 18a, Distortion Fields research costs the same 3500 RP as Subspace Fields which precedes it. Per tech tree online, D. Fields should cost 4500 RP.

.. thx .. neilkaz ..

9. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

Good catch! Fixed it for next release (also next Quantum Field, which is also too low).

10. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Just a question here. I don't recall that Damper Fields were supposed to affect planets. Perhaps somehow I missed this over the years? Please elaborate as once you have Dampers there's no reason to tech any planetary shields (assuming you researched basic Radiation Shields so you could terraform.

11. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

12. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

Hello, got a problem. Annihilating a colony gets it destroyed before new colonists can arrive which ruins the annihilation mechanics for no reason. For example there are 3 colonists to be annihilated but the closest transfer takes 4 turns, the colony is now instantly lost on the 4th turn, making me lose the incoming colonists and forcing me to build other stuff to recapture the planet, like a new colony ship... This does not happen for AI colonies however, they can remain with 0 population for many turns, it's just not fair. The colony should not be destroyed if new colonists are enroute. There should be a flag to control this behavior, or if this affects multiplayer (like using ghost colonies as unattackable outposts), then instantly removing ghost colonies should only happen in multiplayer, or at least add some grace period like 5 turns or so, which should be controllable from the config file.

By the way, is it possible to resume annihilation if it was canceled? Because this could also fix this issue.

This is the only problem I have so far with this patch, other than that this is awesome work, thanks for your great effort, making the game moddable like this greatly increases the replay value!

13. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

Oké, thanks for your suggestion, will take a look at it.
    edit: note that a zero pop colony is only immediately lost if there are no buildings there. the more buildings present, the longer the colony will stay. so you can build some stuff during annihilation process to prevent instant loss of colony.
    About 'resuming annihilation', I've heard that once before, but I am not aware of such functionality existing in classic.
    How does that work exactly (where to click to resume??) and in what version did this work?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  14. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

But it's a feature from "Patch 1.50.2 (May 29, 2016):
    - Ghost colony can die out even if colonists are inbound."
    It doesn't make sense to lose the colony like that, if you have your reasons to hurry the process then it's alright, but the option should be moddable, something like
    "ghost_colony_expire = 5 (turns);"

I don't think it was ever possible to resume annihilation, it was more of a suggestion. To stop annihilation you can click on the red warning at the top of the colony, maybe the process could be reversed in the same way if there are still "unruly" colonists around?

Anyways, it's amazing how you made this whole patch! Although it's unofficial, I've noticed it has already been included in the official release on sites like Steam, did you somehow rebuild the whole game, or are you poking at certain offsets inside the exe?

15. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

With "...will take a look at it" I meant to say that I'll review that specific patch. :)

MOO2 on Steam is currently still at version 1.40b23, not at 1.50.

16. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

Now that most stuff is exposed through those cfg files I was thinking to make a tool in C# WinForms that can create mods in a much friendlier way than directly editing the cfgs, but I would like more info about the format you're using in those scripts:
    • can stuff be broken on multiple lines or is everything read only line by line?
    • can the # char occur anywhere and is the rest of the line considered a comment or can it be closed like /* .. */
    • can any other LBX be loaded or only those presented in the EXAMPLE.CFG?
    • for multiple parameters, can other separators like "," be used or only spaces are allowed?
    • is there any way to support modding new texts (like those in HELP.LBX) directly from the script or editing a LBX is the only way? If new texts could be added directly into a CFG file that would be a great boost for modding, because I find LBX editing very tedious
    • do the lines have to end with ; or is that just a habit?
    • is everything lowercase or casing doesn't matter?
    • is the script structure stable or do you plan to make some serious changes?
    • any other info I couldn't think of would be a big help! :D
    I think a basic tool can be made in no time and then further expand it over time whenever I can, most complex stuff would be to mess around with techs and ship designs, and some other random tedious settings, but I need some answers about your script structure first. Also, what do you think about changing the CFG extension to MOD, that would make things much more clear, at first I thought those CFGs were part of the MOO2 installation lol.. And by the way, EXTRACT.CFG should only be generated on demand, because it can be annoying if it's created all the time, especially for those with SSD, maybe having a separate tool to create it so I can also call it from my program?

17. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

ok sounds good.
    about your questions, most of the answers can be found by doing simple test, or reading the chapter in manual about config. I'd also suggest to study the patches' default configs to get a feel about how syntax works, notably the cfg's tweaks.cfg and icemod.cfg.
    - indeed not all lbx-es can be loaded, only the ones listed in example.cfg.
    - we discussed 'modding lbx texts' from cfg, but haven't gone further than that atm.
    - as long as the patch is in development, so is the configuration structure, so far it's getting less changes with each new patch, but I still do parameter renames for example.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  18. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

I asked to be sure because some people may edit those cfgs in different ways and it would be lame to fail reading them because of an extra char or something like that, and I prefer working on references rather than trial and error, but whatever. As for the parameter renaming is not a big deal, but if you plan to change the whole syntax, switch to Lua or something like that you should let me know so I won't waste my time :D

Another thing, can you expose the leader data (all the heroes, their stats and techs they bring along) through the cfg too? It seems to be the only one missing, OCL Improved is listing them, not sure why you skipped them.

I hope I'm not pushy here but your patch is close to perfect and it would be pity to leave it incomplete, ideal would be to have all modifications in one file in the end, to completely bypass the cumbersome lbx editing and to forget about ancient tools like Moo2 Workshop or OCL Improved.

And one more thing, you should really put some contact info on moo2mod.com, setting up a mail alias doesn't take more than 5 min, it's weird not to have any :p

I'm gonna work on that tool these days, see you around!

19. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

- Well, our cfg is not like OCL at all. OCL is 'static' where everything in the config file needs to be in the exact same place, otherwise it won't work. With 1.50, many formats are possible as described in the manual and can be observed in default cfg's that come with the patch. BTW, nothing wrong with some trial&error as a simple test by leaving out one ";" in cfg could have given you the answer to your question about that syntax and an opportunity to see cfg's error handling.
    - We skipped leader data because we didn't want those awful bitmasks to set leaders skills in cfg, and editing herodata with MoO2 Workshop's interface remains the easier way for now, tho I agree with you that it's preferrable to be able to do this from config as well.
    - imo I am 'sufficiently contactable' as it is.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  20. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

The error handling is pretty neat indeed, the problems are shown very clearly.
    I can load, save and even auto-format CFGs now, but I couldn't find any way to change the language, not even from the launcher... There is no language.ini as indicated in the manual and the $X$ variables are not defined anywhere, you will have to define them in the CFG if you want your script to be fully accessible to external tools (something like "$LANG$ = en;" should be more than enough). I will have to ignore includes and anything that contains variables for now.

Another small issue, 1/3 is accepted, but not 1 / 3, "1/3", "1 / 3", nor 0.33, you should probably accept separators around the / sign an allow decimal numbers as well, not sure why you're using fractions anyway, maybe it has something to do with the way numbers are stored in MOO2, even so, decimal numbers can be easily converted to fractions internally, but this is not a big deal.