Match Postponed Because Of Red Cards

jeriko one

Exalted Fleetlord
Today 5 Besiktas players were sent off and the game was postponed in 83. minute. I watched the match on TV and it sucked. Anyone saw something like this beffore?

Sheffield United managed to get a game stopped when they played West Brom I believe, although that was because players got injured or sent off after all the substitutions had already been made.

I think there was a game in Soctland were five players got sent off from one team and 3 from the other.

Hearts and Celtic had a recent game with 5 yellow cards apiece, with 2 Celtic players also being hit by thrown coins, and two Celtic fans being spotted spitting at one of the Herats players.

28 people were thrown out of the ground.

The wise, wise SFA has taken no action against either team or set of supporters; to quote a spokesman, "All that was mentioned in the report was the cautions incurred during the game, so there will be no action by the SFA" and "clubs are responsible for their own supporters and will no doubt be keen to avoid things like this happening....these days clubs do investigate incidents to some degree and will decide what action should be taken"

One of the rules of the game says that each side must have at least 7 players on the pitch.

The nearest we've come here was the Sheffield United game referred to be Dell. The Blades had had 3 sent off, had used all their subs and had a couple of players injured. There was much speculation at the time that Neil Warnock could have pulled those injured players off and had the game abandoned.

The game was abandoned surely? The speculation was that some of the players might not have actually been injured as Sheffield United were losing 3-0 at the time... Although I think the result still stood.

edit: thought the score was 3-1...

The speculation was that one of the players wasnt really injured and was ordered off by Warnock hoping for a replay. I'd forgotten the game actually was abandoned.

Originally posted by phoenix_night
Yep, it was abandoned, it was 3-0, and the result stood. Three sent off, and two injured.

I remember N Warnock being accused of sharp practise but I can not see how if a game is abandoned the result can stand. If the rules say if a team does no have enough players to continue they lose surely that is different from being abandoned?

It is not long ago ITFC were paying at Maine Road and the weather was so bad (iirc) that the game was abandoned. Rain leads to waterlogged pitch in Manchester shock. There was a replay.

The result stood because there was only 10 minutes left, that at least one of the players to be sent off was one of the substitutes and the general feeling at the time was that (wrong most likely) the injured player(s) weren't injured.

Also in this game it was the fault of the team for not controlling their players (obviously it wouldn't have prevented the injuries) , whilst in the Man City v Ipswich game it was the weather that halted the game which is outside anyones control.

A game between Portugal and Angola in 2001 ended in the early second half, because there had already been 5 angolans sent-off. The minimum you can play is with 7 players I think...

Good Lord, what were the Angolan players doing? :eek:

I remember in FIFA '98 you used to forfeit the game if you had five players sent off. Usually this only happened through gratuitous use of the C-Up button.

That comment really has no relevance to the topic.

They also had a 7 aside indoor game in one of the Fifas, now that really got hard when you went down to 3 players... :)

Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise
Good Lord, what were the Angolan players doing? :eek:

It was the first game between both countries in more than a decade, and the angolans were certainly waiting for it anxiously. Portugal was the former colonial power for 500 years until less than 30 years ago, and there is a huge community of angolan immigrants in Portugal, including the entire angolan team. Furthermore, Portugal was at the height of her football prestige in recent years, being tipped as one of the top favourites for the upcoming WC. So, to Angola this was more important than the final of the WC and for Portugal just a preparation match for the WC.
The stadium had probably as much angolans as portuguese fans, and quite surprisingly, Angola scored in the first minute and held admirably for about 20-30 minutes against an opponent lacking in motivation. So, to the team and the fans this started to be the game of their lives. Then I don't remember what was the precise sequence of events, but Portugal equalised. I'm not sure if this was a penalty of the penalty was a later goal. Anyway there was a penalty that the angoland contested and the first red card to them. Then there was an ugly foul on Pauleta, who got up pissed-off threatening the angolan player, who faked being hit by Pauleta. The french referee ignored that and at this point the angolan public became very aggressive and thought they were being robbed, and the sentiment passed not just to the players, but also to the angolan coaches. From this point up until the beggining of the second half when the match ended because they had run out of the minimum number of players, they just had one thing in their mind, to vent their frustrations of the portuguese players, which started a whole new kind of game: the portuguese players trying to play a little football while trying to avoid the violent tackles of the opponent. The referee otoh spend the rest of the match either showing cards or refraining from doing so, hoping the to get some sense. I remember one particulary well, a Karate Kid flight directed at João Pinto's knee. Fortunately, the timing wasn't perfect and the angolan player missed it. That would have been a career ending injuree. Of course that was one of the red cards.

The next day, after they realised what they had done, they apologised as much as they could and asked for a rematch and the chance to show that they're a nice team and all that.
The portuguese coach replied :"Of course we'll be happy to play, we can play one day when both our teams meet at the WC or any international FIFA competition..." So, I don't think we're gonna play them again soon... ;)

Oh yeah, it ended 5-1I think.

Top Bottom