Mathematics behind City-State tributing?

Athenaeum

Prince
I have many questions and would like this to be a comprehensive thread on the issue.

So (1) How close do you have to be to a city-state for the military near city-state modifier to apply? I have watched some filthy robot videos where he claims that you must be within 8 tiles, but I have noticed that the modifier does not kick in me for me until 6 tiles away.

And I hate to reference Filthy Robot too much, but he keeps a list of when he tributes city-states because he believes that they become re-tributable after 11 turns. However this is not the case for me.

Can anyone give a comprehensive rundown of the mechanics behind this and possibly why my experience is much different than Filthy Robot's?

Cause of #1 is either a relationship with size of map and the threshold or alternatively the threshold was changed in one of the patches following that video.

Cause of #1 is either a relationship with size of map and the threshold or alternatively the threshold was changed in one of the patches following that video.

Thing is he plays on small maps (and I do as well.) Do you know of any changes to this made in the NQ mod? That might explain the difference.

This might be out of topic regarding City States however ... How is it so easy or possible for the AI to Ally back CS which you just spent 3000-4000 gold. Seems like you spend an arm and a leg to have Alexander or someone else become Ally with them again in just a few turns. And you know very well that the other AI does not have more then 500-1000 gold.

How is this explained?

Thanks

Brew God

How is it so easy or possible for the AI to Ally back CS which you just spent 3000-4000 gold. Seems like you spend an arm and a leg to have Alexander or someone else become Ally with them again in just a few turns.
I used to make this mistake. The problem is that you spent 3000-4000 gold when you needed to spend 3500 to 4500 gold. The AIs, even when they have plenty of money in the bank, will not drop more than 500 gold at time. So spend what you need to buy the CS off, plus 500 more. There will still be the various CS quests, and the AI is good at using gunboat diplomacy.

Before I knew about this trick, I only had about a 50/50 chance of keeping CS allied. Nowadays my success is more like 90% plus.

Top Bottom