Mature player PBEM game - Newbie friendly :-)

How do i unpause the game? Its says that you paused the game and i can't continue.

Coke_Cola said:
How do i unpause the game? Its says that you paused the game and i can't continue.

What the ... I did not pause the game, at least i don t think so. But I tried to send it to you via in-game email, and then manually because the first did not succeed. Let me check this, i will send it again to you tonight. For everyone, be careful with the in-game email option ...

Arnaud

What do you mean by tonight? Im in EST and when you sent me the save it was around midnight for me.

Ok, i have re-created the game from scratch, played my turn, and sent it to Rocky. I know now what happened: the game autosaves from time to time, and i sent the autosave to Rocky, and NOT the save done at the end of my turn. It is actually easy to distinguish the two: the one you have to send is prefixed with "to_NextPlayerName" while the autosave is not.

Arnaud

Sent save to gnarfflinger. Works now.

There is a major problem with PBEM: If you try to use the feature that automatically sends the email and it fails, there is no way to save the game in such a way that you can send it to the next player manually. I have not figured out a workaround for this and I spent a fair amount of time playing with it. The only way to continue is to replay your turn again and click the "Don't Send" (is that what the button is?) button, which will cause a proper save file to be saved.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to be wrong. :lol:

OverloadUT said:
There is a major problem with PBEM: If you try to use the feature that automatically sends the email and it fails, there is no way to save the game in such a way that you can send it to the next player manually. I have not figured out a workaround for this and I spent a fair amount of time playing with it. The only way to continue is to replay your turn again and click the "Don't Send" (is that what the button is?) button, which will cause a proper save file to be saved.

I think you re right, because after a failed save, the game enter Pause Mode, and nothing can make it exit it. So please everyone, use the manual save and send, unless you previously tried on a dummy PBEM game and you are SURE it is working with your SMTP !

Arnaud

it should be gnarfflinger's or they guy after him's turn.

OverloadUT said:

I think that it saves the game, then it tries to send it. so you should be fine even if it doesnt work, just send the save that happened before the auto-send attempt.

I noticed that there is a subdirectory off the PBEM games save directory. I believe it is labeled Auto. If you need to send manually, then you can find the outgoing file there. I've sent the file on to SITS. the delay was the fact that I didn't have his E-mail address.

What became standard in Civ III PBEM game was having the host send out a "planning e-mail" to all players including their prefered e-mail address, what country they had (if that information was available and open to be shared, that is).

I've sent the turn on but I had to search for azzaman333's email address in the forum. We could do with a master email with people's details (as Gnarfflinger suggests...)

Anyways - good luck everyone!

I have entered the emails of everyone in the game configuration, so they should be available as soon as you end your turn, in the window that appears when you try to send it from within the game. I don't think this would cause a problem (to open this window to read the next player email, and then to send it manually anyway) as long as you send the correct save (the one appended with to_NextPlayerName). But correct me if i am wrong, this is my first PBEM.

Arnaud

We have been waiting for some days now without information from you, have you received the turn Azzaman ? Sent it already ? Who has the save ?

Arnaud

I have sent individually via PM the emails addresses of the next player to all of you that needed it (ie, for the emails not already posted on the forum for everyone to see). This way 1) i saved time and 2) emails sent privately to me have only been sent to the only player needed it.

Arnaud

I got am e-mail from Azzaman this morning, but unfortunately the file was the save from the first round. I sent him an email to let him know, so hopefully I can get the right save file soon.

I took my first turn last week, so I was expecting this to be turn 2. If I'm mistaken, let me know and I'll do my first turn again and send it on.

Shoegazer said:
I took my first turn last week, so I was expecting this to be turn 2. If I'm mistaken, let me know and I'll do my first turn again and send it on.

i never posted here, which is probably the cause of the confusion. So its the first turn still.

Top Bottom