Mature Players Association

elderotter

Otter King
Hey, started this thread from the Multiplayers behaviour thread.
I and Nuclear Elephant are gathering names of multi-players who would like to enjoy games played at a easy-going pace.

1) if someone gets a real bad starting place - we start game over.
2) We can disagree without being disagreeable.
3) if you just have to cheat, please refrain when playing us
4) Quitting consistently without a good reason is frowned upon(not going to kick you but please be responsible - dont start a 13 hour game when you only have 1/2 hour to play.
5) this isnt an elitist thing - just come to our games for a more relaxed style - which is not to say don't be aggressive in your game play - just dont be aggressive in your attitude towards the other players. It is just a game.
6) I, myself, would prefer it if we kept it to members of this forum - for simplicity's sake.

Now, lastly - 1) I hope that this is not against the rules of this forum. And if it is my apologies.
2) this Thread is just an info thread... please do not flame, troll, insult other players or commit any other rude or offensive behaviour while posting here.
3) all are welcome - but if you flame, cheat etc don't be suprised if you are not asked to join a game.

PS: also if someone joins a game and doesn't follow the guidelines - explain them to him/her, lets all be nice.
I also wish to point out here something I said below. the easiest way to do this is to decide to play this way and If you host note that the MPA guidelines will be followed. When you are going to join a game look for that statement or MPA approved ...Just because someone is not on this ever growing list is not a reason to not let them play. Let everyone have a chance...those who can't abide will become known and weed themselves out.
Above all remember We Share 1 thing Our Love of Civilization gaming.

I'd be willing to be in on something like that when I have time to play MP. I'm not sure when that's going to be, it will depend on how long the games take mostly, because while I would like to play epic games, I just don't have the time to play for 10 or more hours in one sitting. That being said, this group idea is a great one. :)

Sounds good to me. Of course, this is all both pending arrival of the game and enough time to play it.

You might want to ask a mod to move this to the "Civ IV: Multiplayer and PBEM" forum instead of "general discussions" though.

I'd probably join in so long as mature does not equal snotty or condescending. The game is supposed to be fun after all! Some respectful smack talk is a good thing in the right circumstances. It won't be often I'll be able to play a game at one sitting though. I can usually find 3-4 hours to play on evenings when my girlfriend is working or sometimes on the weekends. If a game takes longer than that, hopefully I can find people to agree to split the game over a period of a few days.

After a while I'd like to start(or join) an alliance that hunts down bullying clans the same way that they hunt down newbies. A balancing force so to speak. ;)

Alistic said:
They are supposed to have eliminated the "bad starting place" issue.
I did hear about that. Supposedly everyone starts off at a fair position now. However, who's to say that some will have more barbarians/animals than others?

Personally I think it's a good idea to have a group of players to associate with with the same ideas. I'm rather thrilled with the idea personally. Otherwise I would have mostly played with my close friends, but I don't think they'd quite fit any of the pre-requisites of this group (they're fairly fond of driving people mad on the internet you see). So I won't be referring them.

I say leave it in general.

Sign me up, I won't be into MPing right away but I'll definately give it a try and I'd like to get some games in with people of this community.

I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I never know my availability until the day of.

elderotter said:
lol well maybe we will be having more than 1 game at a time. seems to be an attractive idea.

Good idea, though I can only commit as a casual player (family responsibilities ;) )

-SA

I think I'd be very interested in something like this. Like a few others, though, my schedule is incredibly unstable, and so far off the norm I'm not sure the majority of players would be able to match it. (I'd mainly be free to play before 6:30am in the mornings, sometime from midnight on but sometime wouldn't be available until 4am, often with no advanced warning.)

elderotter said:
lol well maybe we will be having more than 1 game at a time. seems to be an attractive idea.

were you expecting the majority of the community to be for the "zomgpwn!" gamestyles? :king:

which again brings me back to my age ole' thought of the fact that 70% of the community is mature and we won't need to worry about MP so long as we keep it amongs ourselves.

Of course we get the occasional troll on the boards, but I find it humorous some people classify the typical online mannerisms of these boards with those of say, WoW general? When it's so far from it.

in any case, I've already compiled a personal list of people on these boards to throw on my Civ4 buddy list, so pardon me if I PM you sometime. :king:

I am very interested as well. May I suggest that it be extended to be a "Relaxed Players Association?" As Varelse commented, the term mature could be misinterpreted, and relaxed play seems to be the focus of our interest. I am sure there will be plenty of organized groups for very competitive play, and it would be nice to have a group to find games that are less cutthroat. On a similar note, a group like this would be a good place for new players in the future, people who are new to Civ in general.

Count me in. :)

One of the only reasons I never played MP in previous Civ games was that I dislike aggressive and demanding games.

What about the difficulty setting? I could easily beat the 3rd difficulty level, never tried the 4th one because I thought it would get too tough. :cool: Are ya looking for more seasoned gamers or are we newbs accepted to play too? ;)

Anyway, this kind of thing is just what I was looking for - I was going to start a similar thread when the game was released anyway. :)

AlecTavi said:
I am very interested as well. May I suggest that it be extended to be a "Relaxed Players Association?" As Varelse commented, the term mature could be misinterpreted, and relaxed play seems to be the focus of our interest. I am sure there will be plenty of organized groups for very competitive play, and it would be nice to have a group to find games that are less cutthroat. On a similar note, a group like this would be a good place for new players in the future, people who are new to Civ in general.

No problem with me - I have quite a list so far, am going to check with the moderators before I post any names tho - but hey it doesnt matter what we call it as long as we follow the basic guidelines I started this thread with - seem to be reasonable guidelines from the response.

Kaene said:
Count me in. :)

One of the only reasons I never played MP in previous Civ games was that I dislike aggressive and demanding games.

What about the difficulty setting? I could easily beat the 3rd difficulty level, never tried the 4th one because I thought it would get too tough. :cool: Are ya looking for more seasoned gamers or are we newbs accepted to play too? ;)

Anyway, this kind of thing is just what I was looking for - I was going to start a similar thread when the game was released anyway. :)
Since you'll be playing with real people the difficulty is automatically beyond anything you've ever experienced before. It is literally as leniant as you can imagine and as impossible as you dare question. However, I'm sure that there will be some slack to those who need it during multiplayer games of this type, and plenty of challenge for the hardened veterans.

Seems like a good idea, however, might I recommend the use of IRC to get organized?

I personally like irc.gamesurge.net :D

Top Bottom