1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Max amount of loans n Lending to other civs

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by JohnInLearning, May 12, 2020.

1. JohnInLearning

JohnInLearning Chieftain

I started playing on Monarch, my strategy was to prevent the AI from trading with each other and declaring war on me by constantly borrowing money from them.

I would borrow 17 gold for 1 gold each turn from each civ if they had 17 GOLD.

This worked really well for an while, I got the great library and set my research to 0% etc....

I kept all of the CIVS broke and they stopped trading with each other. I pulled ahead in tech.... And THEN... :(

They stopped trading with me all together,even though I was extremely careful not to violate any trade agreements or get into any war with any civ.

Is there are hard cap on the amount of financial trades you can do in CIV3? Or will the civs simply refuse to trade / lend money or be lent money too if your way ahead?

Just curious, someone out there must know the answer. It's not really fun if they won't make trade deals using the Gold per turn option anymore :(

Best

2. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I've never gotten a loan before at any level, and just started playing at Monarch (preparing to start my second game at that level). That kind of strategy never occurred to me, so I'm wondering - like you - what the pitfalls are.

3. JohnInLearning

JohnInLearning Chieftain

The pitfalls are that if any civ declares war on you --- IF you owe them money

A) You can never do an Gold per turn trade again to any civ for tech, luxury resoruces etc

B) It seems to me that if the CIV owes you $$$ and it can't pay it back it has to sell an building, and it damages your reputation????

I think you can only do 20-40 of these trades per game then they will never loan you $$$ or let you loan them money ever again. I don't have any proof, I was wondering if anyone else knew exactly how it works. (But it could be that I was too far ahead and am then considered too much of an threat to trade with.) I don't know. I had a monarchy game going with 12 enemy CIVS

It's not any fun if the Computers won't do Gold Per turn trades with you anymore. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Once I did one of those "Remove your forces from my territory or declare war things."

Ruined an entire monarchy game, because from that point on, I could not trade again with any other civ in the game. (I borrowed like 300 gold from an civ and then they DECLARED war on me. Hence breaking the trade deal.)

You have to be really careful with the tactic.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  4. JohnInLearning

JohnInLearning Chieftain

If you do borrow $$$ from an civ. I suggest doing this

A) Use it on 1/2 finished marketplaces and banks. (Pays for itself with interest) -- Then use that $$$ from the banks and marketplaces to buy everything else more or less
    B) Perhaps use it to steal tech from the civ. Play most of the entire game with the tax slider to 100% Let them research science for most of the game and use the $$$ to manipulate the AI (This way the AI doesn't get $$$ back from researching the teck)
    C) then obviously, resell the teck ?!!
    D) Afterwards lend them gold for an nice return. Still slows there science teck down, I've been told. (Because they have less free-cash flow to devote to science. Even though your the one giving them the gold.)

Pretty sure though the AI has to have gold to trade with other AI's because no 2 TECKS are worth the same amount to the AI. So it has to compensate with gold and TECK vs superior teck.

But I think you can over do it, then none of the AI's will trade with you. Pretty sure the programmers put something like this in, to prevent SID mode from being too easy to beat.

5. JohnInLearning

JohnInLearning Chieftain

Ahh, I figured it out. I received Furs from India for 19Gold per turn. (There FURS)

The indians lost there source of Furs VIA -- Harbour blockage or pillaged while at war. My reputation took an hit for this, I can no longer get loans or give loans or trade for Tech with the AIs.

This rarely happens and is really stupid. I suppose you should never trade for Luxuries I don't know. It had nothing to do with my CIV, yet my rep is destroyed for the rest of the game.

6. justanick

justanick Emperor

Spoonwood likes this.
  7. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

It's possible to get gold per turn as long as you have your reputation in tact and the AI has gold per turn. Over time, the AIs will build more and more units, and will send gold per turn to other AI for technology, so they can go broke and no longer have gold per turn, or have less gold per turn. Of course though, if they build a bunch of banks or other commercial buildings, instead of decreasing in available gold per turn, they can increase in the amount of gold per turn that they have.

The rate of gold per turn that you can get for a lump sum, so far as a I know, maximizes at 18 gold (from the AI) for 1 gold per turn (from the human player) with the aggression level set at minimum.

8. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Yes, it must have been something like this.
    However, you can still trade techs! As long as you don't include any 20-turn goods into the deal. But a trade "tech for tech" or "tech for lump sum" should still be possible!

9. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I always found the trade reputation to be fairly fragile, and irreparable (as far as gpt) once broken. At least, I've never been able to repair one. So I have generally limited "gpt-on-my-end" deals to civs with whom I share a continent. I'll trade with overseas civs, but I won't often risk my reputation by paying gpt (or resources) to them, only lump sums.

10. r16

r16 not deity

my Als tend to refuse any money for money deals or so ı was conditioned , so this is some subscription post if things turn out to be useful and ı don't think Al will ever refuse profit . All the wars and all the failed deals and in my last game ı bought a tech with 4 luxuries and 550 gpt .

11. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Ouch!