1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Max Number of Cities?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Dastari, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Dastari

Dastari Chieftain

Hi, I've just come back to playing civilization after something like a ten-year hiatus. I'm playing the original version on DosBox. I checked the FAQ here, but can't find the information that I'm looking for. Is there a maximum number of cities that you can have? I seem to recall way back when being told by the computer that I couldn't make another city. I just want to know what that number is or if I'm misremembering.

2. humbe

humbe Chieftain

There's a limit to how many cities you can make using a map editor like jCiv too if I remember correctly, which is likely the same limit. I think it may be 100 or so.

With the addition of angry citizens in later versions of the game though, if you play Emperor, I don't think you'd want to get close to that number, as at that point, you'll be adding #6 citizens that is born angry if I calculate correctly.

I think the max is across all civilizations though. Not just your own.

3. SWY

SWY Chieftain

According to the SVE file format thread (here) the limit is 128, total for all civs.

4. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

I have no idea how the calculation works. You can counter it with both luxuries and pacifier buildings, though, because the born-content mechanic is the first, base attitude modifier. You can make 127 cities on emperor. I think the target luxury rate at the end is 20-40, not too bad.

5. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

By the time you reach that point, city improvements should be an afterthought. If you find that you need a hundred Colosseums, then with 128 cities that should take only 1 or 2 turns.

6. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

At Emperor, after the 120th city, you start building cities with 8 born-angry citizens. Since luxuries (and the Cure) make born-angry go directly to happy, this is actually a bonus. It makes President's Day easier.