Maximizing Great Leader Appearances

What do you do to MAXIMIZE the "production" of Great Leaders?

• Attack only weakened units with elites (The odds are the odds)

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • Attack equivilant units (The chances are better when it's atough fight for the elite)

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Never thought about it, just attack with elites whenever possible.

Votes: 46 41.4%

• Total voters
Is it possible the city was on a hill? That was my undoing in a recent campaign. I don't think the units fight any better in an army, they just last longer.

Originally posted by Windrake
Knights losing to spearman...

I don't feel like the Lone Ranger anymore! :)

Windrake, you need to load the horsemen into the army. You can do it while they are standing onto of it.;)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MadHatter
This "Great Leader" issue is driving me nuts. I can't sleep at night! HELP!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I studied Psychology a couple of years back (okay ten) in particular I was interested in Animal Psychology, and a peculiar way to make animals do something all the time is to give the 'reward' a percentage change of occuring;

(Pigeon in a box, food pellet comes through a tube connected to a button)

Situation 1: Everytime the pigeon presses the button a food pellet comes out.

Behaviour: Pigeon presses button occasionally (probably when it's hungry)

Sit 2: When the pigeon presses the button food never comes out.

Behaviour: Pigeon doesn't press the button (probably dies of hunger too).

Sit 3: Pellet is produced when Pigeon presses button 4 times in a row.

Behaviour: Pigeon appears to learn the rule and presses the correct amount of times and no more to produce the pellet.

Sit 4: There is a random chance that food will be produced when the Pigeon presses the button.

Behaviour: Neurotic. Pigeon presses the button constantly as it never knows when the food pellet will arrive. It knows that pressing the button *may* produce a pellet, but there are no rules.

Okay if you've read that lot (I've simplified the whole scientific paper into a few statements so bear with me), now change the following variables:

Pigeon = Civfanatic
Food Pellet = Great Leader

What we have here is Situation 4, and MadHatter is behaving just as we would expect. :D

Seriously that's why so many people get worked up about it and it explains gambling addiction and UFO's but not Furry Dice.

..Man that was a long post, I think I deserve a biscuit (i.e. food pellet).

Originally posted by Skyfish
My first game, playing Iroquois, first war to get rid of damn' Germans. By chance I get a GL after a few turns, I quickly bring him back to a barrack and push the command "Buld Army", GL transforms into flag bearer guy called Army, I send him back to the front and proceed to pile 3 veteran horsemen on him.
Next move, I happily attack a nearby city ...and guess what happens ? I lose horseman after horseman, what's this thing about the Army ? How do I make it work ? there was absolutely no difference...
Help please !

SKYFISH

You need to LOAD your horsemen into the army while it's IN THE city! Otherwise you just have the horsemen and your empty army on the same square with the result you observed.

An empty army has no defence. Get it to a city quick!!

Col:

You can load an army from any tile in which you have combat units not just cities. I suspect that shyfish got the army created but sent his new army against a more placcable foe (like a couple of musket or riflemen) even a pikeman has a chance of defeating a horseman army (jokes about killer spearman are not welcome ;) )

I suspect he just moved the horsmen onto the army and didnt try to LOAD them!

I indeed did NOT load them !:(

Thanks for your perspicacity...

How do I that ?

Now I really will be the shame of this forum...sorry guys no time to read the manual !

Actually it's not in the manual !

CoL:

Sorry for doubting your perceptions, I really did think that he had loaded the army, but you CAN load from any tile.

--Bomber

I can believe that a spearman can kill a knight. Didn't you see the movie Braveheart? :)

I have never thought about this, as they seem to appear whenever. No distiction, I think.

I can believe a Spearman can kuill a knight, but let him try the same stunt with a tank... :D

Top Bottom