Maximum Affinity?

Umbral Reaver

Secret Wizard
Presumably there's a maximum affinity level. Do we know what happens to excess affinity points earned after that? Are they just lost?

What I'm worried about though, is a person making choices that are far too spread out that he or she may not be able to reach max affinity level.

I wonder if it'll be learned just by trial and error.

Like someone not really understanding the culture system in civBE and then whine on forums that it is impossible ? Yeah. Seen that a couple of times on steam forums, even at prince level.

I'm not sure it's worth worrying about people not understanding such simple systems. It's fine to make a mistake a few times but then how these things works should appear clearly.

18 is the highest affinity level that I know of that's required for something (the apex units), but it looks like 13 is all that's required to unlock the affinity-specific victories.

A recent batch of screenshots showed 4/18/4 affinity, so it looks as though you can spread yourself pretty wide and still get to the top.

18 is the highest affinity level that I know of that's required for something (the apex units), but it looks like 13 is all that's required to unlock the affinity-specific victories.

A recent batch of screenshots showed 4/18/4 affinity, so it looks as though you can spread yourself pretty wide and still get to the top.

News of that Affinity spread potential warms the cockles of my heart.

Sorry if this is a dmb question, but is there information as to how many affinity points are required to move up each affinity level?

I'v seen that 1st ring leaf techs give 12 affinity points, ring 2 gives 25 and ring 3 i think gives 40 ... just trying to do the math.

Sorry if this is a dmb question, but is there information as to how many affinity points are required to move up each affinity level?

I'v seen that 1st ring leaf techs give 12 affinity points, ring 2 gives 25 and ring 3 i think gives 40 ... just trying to do the math.
The cost for each new level appears to be 11 + the number of previous levels. So, 11, 23, 36, 50, 65, etc.

I'm watching the Yogscast #4 video, and Will Miller just said that Expeditions can also randomly award affinity points.

Yeah, one of the last guys playing at Firaxicon had three different Expeditions award Affinity points throughout his play session. This helped him reach Supremacy 9 (I believe, he may have said Purity) before the build's max 250 turns.

The cost for each new level appears to be 11 + the sum of costs of all the previous levels. So, 11, 22, 33, 66, 132, etc.

That means it would be practically impossible to get above level 5 or so.

Do you mean 11+ total number of levels so far
so 11,12,13,14,15,16
adding to total cost of
11,23,36,50, etc.

In MadDjinn's second gameplay video, he waved his cursor around the tech web screen for a bit and revealed most of the missing +Affinity values for the various techs. The list I have is:

== Purity ==
12 Genetic Mapping
10 Alien Genetics
25 Biospheres
25 Civil Support
32 Mobile LEV
? Servomachinery
25 Vertical Farming
40 Human Conservation
40 Hyperconductors
40 Tactical LEV
40 Surrogacy
40 Industrial Ecology
40 Seismic Induction

== Harmony ==
12 Alien Biology
16 Alien Adaptation
25 Swarm Intelligence
? Swarm Robotics
? Tissue Engineering
25 Photosystems
32 Alien Hybridization
32 Alien Domestication
? Exotic Matter
40 Metamaterials
40 Nanorobotics
40 Designer Lifeforms
? Alien Evolution

== Supremacy ==
? Autonomous Systems
12 Power Systems
25 Collaborative Thought
? Climate Control
25 Synthetic Thought
18 Tactical Robotics
40 Euthenics
32 Protogenetics
? Geoscaping
? Neural Uploading
40 Autogyros
40 Biometallurgy
? Alien Materials

Purity is missing only the value for Servomachinery; without it the total of Purity points from techs is 369. Assuming Servomachinery is in the range of 25-32, that puts the total at 394-401. If the cost per Affinity level formula of (11+level-1) is correct, then the total cost for 18 levels is 351.

If that's correct, you can get to level 18 with techs alone, even if you make all the wrong choices with quests... but it requires almost every available +Affinity tech for that Affinity. It also means that, given enough time to research ALL of the +Affinity techs for every Affinity, you could theoretically reach 18/18/18 through techs alone.

Awesome, Arioch! Thank you for the analysis.

In the "discovery" trailer they said we won't be able to unlock all the techs in one playthrough (probably because someone usually wins before). So it won't be too easy to reach lvl 18 in an affinity, but most likely doable if you don't spread yourself too much over multiple ones.

Covert Ops lets you steal technology that an opponent has researched. This will let you pick up a bunch of affinity techs that you otherwise wouldn't have gone for, helping you fill out the lower levels of all affinities even if you're only intending to focus on one specific affinity.

But do we know of it is any benefits for having +13 affinity levels? What level is required for a xeno titan for example?

Top Bottom