Maximum city population before it can't stay happy?

Answering my own question, from Civ V - Map Size/Game Speed REFERENCE (Mechanic Changes and Map Specifications):

MAP SIZE DETAILS (Mechanics that vary with Map Size alone)
DUEL
Unhappiness Per City = 2, Extra City Policy Penalty = 30%
TINY
SMALL
STANDARD
LARGE
Unhappiness Per City = 1.6, Extra City Policy Penalty = 20%
HUGE
Unhappiness Per City = 1.2, Extra City Policy Penalty = 15%

So, given default settings, and therefore no compelling reason to play wider than usual -- huge maps means significantly happier cities and several more social policies! Reading more, beaker cost increases ~10% from standard to large to huge.

The information in beetle's link is woefully out of date -- it dates from 2010 vanilla, and doesn't even reflect vanilla today. Since this thread is labeled BNW, folks should refer to the following:

World Size | Unhappiness Per City | Extra City Policy Penalty | Per City Research Penalty | Tech Cost Multiplier
Duel|3|10%|5%|100%
Tiny|3|10%|5%|100%
Small|3|10%|5%|100%
Standard|3|10%|5%|110%
Large|2.4|7.5%|3.75%|120%
Huge|1.8|5%|2.5%|130%

Thanks Browd! Is there a URL for this (since I know I will lose track of this thread). One thing to add to that table would be tiles per major civ (assuming default number of AI and default 2:1 CS:civ ratio).

It seems a little contradictory to decrease the per city research penalty, but then increase the tech cost. Obviously, they are trying to make wide play a little more feasible. But then increasing the tech cost makes sense as there will be more research agreements, so that evens out.

I have not tried large/huge maps (since games take long enough already) but it still seems to me that the strongest play remains at four city Tradition.

The relevant xml files are on your computer. Precise path may vary, but usually will be something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets

The increase in research costs by map size long predates the BNW per city tech cost increase, but all per city penalties are lower on larger map sizes, so that implementation is consistent.

So, the only happiness advantage we have at huge maps is the lower happiness-per-city? Is this enough to occupy the whole landmass with cities?

I usually play on standard maps, and I usually have problems with happiness, mainly because I like my cities being well developed and populous. :p

So, the only happiness advantage we have at huge maps is the lower happiness-per-city? Is this enough to occupy the whole landmass with cities?
unless those cities' population exceeds local happiness, yes.
liberty + happiness belief = 1.5 happiness per city, so you have to compensate only 0.3 global unhappiness per city (huge map), thats 4/0.3=13 cities per one lux. and once you got CN tower you can spam cities infinitely.

The information in beetle's link is woefully out of date -- it dates from 2010 vanilla, and doesn't even reflect vanilla today. Since this thread is labeled BNW, folks should refer to the following:

World Size | Unhappiness Per City | Extra City Policy Penalty | Per City Research Penalty | Tech Cost Multiplier
Duel|3|10%|5%|100%
Tiny|3|10%|5%|100%
Small|3|10%|5%|100%
Standard|3|10%|5%|110%
Large|2.4|7.5%|3.75%|120%
Huge|1.8|5%|2.5%|130%

What's your thoughts regarding Liberty and this information. If I play a huge map the liberty policy representation is only going to save me 33% of 5% culture per city. It does sort of imply that Tradition could maybe be viable up to possibly 8 cities before Liberty gets a clearer advantage.

Whereas a Standard sized map the 10% culture penalty per city really hurts if you have more than 6 cities without Representation

Top Bottom