1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

maximum food for city tile in 1.21f

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by grumbler, Apr 28, 2002.

1. grumbler

grumbler Chieftain

At first glance, I ignored this change in the new patch:

"* The maximum food a tile with a city on it can produce has been changed to 2."

Now I realized that this means that it is no longer a good idea to place cities on certain resources. Is there a way to change this back as it was before ?

2. cracker

cracker Gil Favor's Sidekick

There is no way to fix this modification as it is Firaxis hard coded.

I have no real conflict with this change except in starting locations. The problem with the feature in impacting the first city is that it forces you to move the initial settler or totally abandon the bonus resource.

With subsequent cities, you can almost always avoid sitting directly on the resource without it being a gamebreaker issue.

In the higher level game scenarios, moving the settler is almost the same as committing suicide because the game is a flat out race to produce settlers and see who can expand to settle the first 10-12 cities first.

If this resource devaluation rule is going to be in place then the start position determination subroutine needs to be updated to avoid giving the player an unfair disadvantage and critical resource loss.