1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MAximum units per tile idea

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by coffeeholic, Nov 8, 2007.

1. coffeeholic

coffeeholic Chieftain

I was playing yesterday and thought of an idea that would improve the military strategy aspect of the game. I use the stack of doom, I fight the computers stack of doom but what if this concept was eliminated by make a limit to the amount of units that can occupy a tile to say 5 or 6. This would make an invasion more strategic.

Just a thought, what do you guys/gals think? Maybe a mod would be cool

AJK

2. LemonJello

LemonJello Warlord

Interesting. Would there be a hard limit to number of units per tile, or some kind of "creep" where after the max is reached, you recieve a penalty in health/strength/movement? I'm not a big fan of the SoD style of warfare, so anything that added a little more to fighting would be ok in my book.

3. LovesCiv

LovesCiv Chieftain

Good thought as long as the cities had a limit also. It would force you to build more forts and spreadout strategically. :p

4. coffeeholic

coffeeholic Chieftain

yeah that would be cool to have a limit per city as well.

maybe certain techs could make the stacks larger over time. I just think that it would make you have separate armies rather than one uber stack. could add a whole new level of strategy to the game

If any modders have the knowledge to make this happen I would be all over it

AJK

5. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

Anybody else remember the old days, when killing one unit in a stack would destroy the entire stack? Now that is something I don't miss.

6. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

This has been up for discussion quite a few times. Most recently I think was here, during which I posted this:

7. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I generally agree with OTAKUbjski, as usual, but I have some nitpicking to do; Medic units should increase the capabilities of stacking aswell, to avoid camp diseases - you briefly touched this already. And Bonus in plural is not bonuses, but bonii ;) Other than that, your suggestions are good - but mind you, Hannibal Barca lost most of his elephants during the march - only 4 (I think) out of 80 saw battle.

I have been in on some of the discussions on this subject, and I proposed something like OTAKUbjski - that a tile has a sort of :health: factor that determines how many units can stay in the tile. this is not a hard limit, but if there are more units than the tile can support, they will slowly decay - losing a bit of health every turn. Cities, medics, GGs and techs and soforth should increase the value of the areas - and unit types would matter - both in the meaning OTAKUbjski mentions, that 5 archers and 5 axemen might be better camped than 10 axes, but also that 10 horsearchers would cause more :yuck: than 10 axemen, per example, due to the fact that their mounts also needs care and can carry/start diseases.

8. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

bo·nus /ˈboʊnəs/ Pronunciation[boh-nuhs]
    –noun, plural -nus·es.

The main problem with the whole "max units on a square" concept is that it can't be done well without introducing a great deal of complexity. And making Civ more complex is, imo, a bad direction to be going.

9. Spaced out

Spaced out Chieftain

Eliminating the SoD would just increase the amount of time it takes to capture a city not the "strategy" involved. You still would have to have more units than the defender. So you would still have a huge stack. It would just be over 10 tiles and you would have to move each tile each turn....

I will go as far as saying putting a limit on the # of units per tile would make it impossilbe to capture any city that takes 3 or more moves through enemy culture to reach. Not counting bombarding. If your front stack of units is 5 cannon then it will never make it.

The only way to put strategy into warfare is make the limit 1 unit per tile. Then its like chess with each units pro/cons on the front not hidded behind the "best" odds fight.

Then again you could just go play chess. Hmmm... CivChess, now thats and idea.

10. troytheface

troytheface Deity

the counter arguements make some valid assertions, how about just make units cost more. That would reduce stacks, and the need for stacks, getting a bit closer to the "chess-like Civ" idea, but not adding any complexity or simplification- just a reduction.