May I marry my sister?

Should marriage between close relatives be legal?

• Total voters

Pikachu

Emperor
Why do we need a law against marriage between close relatives? (With close relatives, I mean very close, i.e. siblings, parents, grandparents and so on). Isn’t it about time to abolish this ancient law?

And in case you voted no in the poll, how distant relatives does the couple have to be before marriage is acceptable?

Pikachu said:
Why do we need a law against marriage between close relatives? (With close relatives, I mean very close, i.e. siblings, parents, grandparents and so on). Isn’t it about time to abolish this ancient law?

And in case you voted no in the poll, how distant relatives does the couple have to be before marriage is acceptable?
Wow and I thought I was a redneck.:crazyeye:

Pikachu said:

Because of genetic disorders caused by imbreeding?

And plus, its just icky.

Well, if you really want to.....
however, there is a certain chance of genetic disorders, though it is usually quite small.

nonconformist said:
however, there is a certain chance of genetic disorders, though it is usually quite small.

Yup.

Except you can still have children without marriage (would that be illegal though?).

Yes.

To each, their own, and if someone wants to go Lannister, that's not my problem (obscure book series reference).

You can marry your dog for all I care.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound rude :blush: , or to insinuate that your sister was a dog.

Bugfatty300 said:
Because of genetic disorders caused by imbreeding?
nonconformist said:
Who says we want to make children together? There is something called adoption, you know?

Pikachu said:
Who says we want to make children together? There is something called adoption, you know?
Well let's be frank, as Clausewicz would have said "Marriage is a continuation of sex by other means".

Just because there's a risk of hereditary disease doesn't mean that people should not be allowed to have children. And marriage is about love, not children.

Also, LOL at thetrooper :lol:

Pikachu said:
Why do we need a law against marriage between close relatives?

Because God wills it!

Mise said:
Just because there's a risk of hereditary disease doesn't mean that people should not be allowed to have children. And marriage is about love, not children.
For a recessive disease, there would have to be 2 generations of breeding, assuming that the defective genes are passed on anyway, which is a 25% chance initially, with another 25% chance after. I.e the chances are small.

I voted no mainly because if you get children there is a risk of getting genetic disordered children, and I do not think risking that is ethically correct. I don't give a radioactive monkey about the ancient traditions, that's not the reason for my vote.
More poll options would really be best, because if you could make a marriage where you agree not to have any children besides adoption, that would be my preferred choice.

Mise said:
And marriage is about love, not children.

I know many marriages that are for financial reasons, and many because the couple want to have children but want to be married before having them, or because they are having a child and want to get married before the birth (my parents got married a week before I was born :mischief: ).

Even if the chances are small, I don't believe the parents have the right to harm their child.

Pikachu said:

The law exists for two simple reasons:
1. Society doesn't see the idea of such marriages as acceptable. People don't want such a couple to live next door, or even in their town.
2. There's no counter-movement against these laws - the fact is that very few people want to do such a thing (much of it is probably a result of the social taboo on it).

Egyptian Pharoahs married their sisters, heck some even married their daughters! :eek:

The chief reasons for the laws would be religious and practical, I have heard somewhere that the insanity of some European monarchs was attributed to the extensive inbreeding of the royal families. :crazyeye:

Really, why would you want to marry your sister, or other close relative?
So far we have 5 rednecks who say yes, very weird.... :p

@ Pikachu: I think we need to see pictures of your sister before we decide. Did not vote (yet). :D

But seriously, - are you serious!!?

Top Bottom