[NFP] Maya & Gran Colombia Livestream Discussion

They recognize it's big, said they were pleased with the balance for now, but would watch how he plays out in the hands of fans. So I don't expect a nerf in the near term, but I could see it in a couple of months.

Makes sense. If they are only doing balance patches in 'off months', we'll probably see him nerfed in August

The way they talked about the comets taking out cities is exactly what I don't like about the game right now. They all love it because it changes up gameplay and makes you adapt your strategy. That's the opposite from "build up your empire" and "let's simulate history". It's boardgamey.

Also the way that when a falling rock destroys the town hall of a Metropolis, the whole Metropolis just vanishes into thin air. Where once there was a great Entertainment district, an empty meadow greets you once again. Where once there were cows in stockades, the cows are now suddenly wild again, as everything built just vanished. Where once there was a tall Colossus, fish roam free once again... You get my point, this apocalypse mode just shows how absurd it is that civ ties everything to a city. I'm guessing Civ7 will make the map even more important by letting even more stuff come directly from the tiles themselves.

I don't know, skipping through this livestream doesn't entice me to buy the pass. Sure, there's more of everything and it is still polished, but I just know I will never finish a game as everything just becomes so tedious...

The way they talked about the comets taking out cities is exactly what I don't like about the game right now. They all love it because it changes up gameplay and makes you adapt your strategy. That's the opposite from "build up your empire" and "let's simulate history". It's boardgamey.

Also the way that when a falling rock destroys the town hall of a Metropolis, the whole Metropolis just vanishes into thin air. Where once there was a great Entertainment district, an empty meadow greets you once again. Where once there were cows in stockades, the cows are now suddenly wild again, as everything built just vanished. Where once there was a tall Colossus, fish roam free once again... You get my point, this apocalypse mode just shows how absurd it is that civ ties everything to a city. I'm guessing Civ7 will make the map even more important by letting even more stuff come directly from the tiles themselves..
Where things were, nothing remains. It's a crater. And as is being said in other topics - it's an optional, selectable game mode. You don't have to have Apocalypse in play. It's another way to utilise what the game has, its mechanics, and make it more unpredictable or fun for those who choose to use them.

I can see myself playing an Apoc mode one day, and I'm here solely for the history.

Yes, it makes sense that where the meteor hits, nothing remains. But if that tile belongs to a city, everything vanishes also from the 20 other tiles that belonged to that city. That was where my criticism was directed, you don't have to explain how it works to me. I do know that it's just a game mode and can be turned off, but it is the way they speak of a city vanishing that gives me pause and makes me not want to invest anything for now. I don't think it will give me enjoyment. I still read the forum here, so make of that what you will :)

Yes, it makes sense that where the meteor hits, nothing remains. But if that tile belongs to a city, everything vanishes also from the 20 other tiles that belonged to that city. That was where my criticism was directed, you don't have to explain how it works to me. I do know that it's just a game mode and can be turned off, but it is the way they speak of a city vanishing that gives me pause and makes me not want to invest anything for now. I don't think it will give me enjoyment. I still read the forum here, so make of that what you will :)

Yeah, I mean, I'm interested in trying out the apocalypse mode basically so that I can manually trigger disasters, but the whole cosmic meteors that basically just start raining hellfire at the end is going a little overboard.

Oh no I missed Pete, curse these timezones

They recognize it's big, said they were pleased with the balance for now, but would watch how he plays out in the hands of fans. So I don't expect a nerf in the near term, but I could see it in a couple of months.

I imagine they are the only ones pleased with the balance, at least based on the last few months here!

Yeah, I mean, I'm interested in trying out the apocalypse mode basically so that I can manually trigger disasters, but the whole cosmic meteors that basically just start raining hellfire at the end is going a little overboard.

Yea, randomly every 1-3 turns would be more than enough, I guess. Apocalypse and all that, I get it. But at one point, it is getting frustrating. (Which is the point, of course. Just finish the game before the world ends. Still ...)

Additionally, I would like, if the disaster settings wouldn’t be fixed to 4. Maybe a small range like 3-4 (or even 2-4) would be feasible?

I think a simple nerf to Gran Colombia limiting their movement bonus for land units to the home continent would be fine (I would allow naval units to keep their +1 movement though). Llaneros come *quite* late and for that reason alone I don't see them as OP. As for comandante generals, I would remove the stacking with Great Generals, but I guess Firaxis allowed them to stack so Gran Colombia doesn't simply ignore encampments and the GG points coming from them.

I apologise! A misunderstanding on my part.

Top Bottom