Maya

all GPs require the city to have some form of religion, doesn't need to be your own, but you need to have some religion.
Buying great people also requires industrial era, and I have no clue how you made it to industrial era without getting some religion in at least one of your cities :D

You... you mean you don't systematically murder every missionary that crosses your borders? :lol:

I also burn down all cities within influence range, just to prove a point.

Passive spread doesn't do much with the amount of food in this game, except for India. Sadly, Gandhi is kill-on-sight.

I've had entire games go where I won a culture victory and my capital still had its pantheon, though. I wasn't even that aggressive about defending myself from religions. I was Japan last time it happened.

Short question: Is there a reason why you can't improve tiles with your UI if there is a resource?

Short question: Is there a reason why you can't improve tiles with your UI if there is a resource?

Eh yeah, bananas and pyramids don't mix.

On a more serious note, that goes for all improvements except Moai (because it is completely dependent on adjacency bonuses) and Kasbah (because it connects all resources)

Yes but why is it like that? I mean if you want to build it ... (Also early on you might want to build it on luxury resources same is true for some other civs I guess like brazil)
Or is it easier for the AI that way?

Yes but why is it like that? I mean if you want to build it ... (Also early on you might want to build it on luxury resources same is true for some other civs I guess like brazil)
Or is it easier for the AI that way?

It's a worthwhile point to raise. I remember building Tading Posts on Bananas in Vanilla because chopping down the Jungle in order to create the Plantation wasn't worth it.

It's a worthwhile point to raise. I remember building Tading Posts on Bananas in Vanilla because chopping down the Jungle in order to create the Plantation wasn't worth it.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't build tradingposts on bananas in vanilla.

Gazebo, I've just played a game with maya and I've started with literally zero forest/jungle 4 tiles around my capital. I think you forgot to give them a forest/jungle bias when you changed their UB for an UI.

And it was fun because Brazil was near me and he's got plenty of jungle forcing me to play aggressive to get those jungle tiles.

Gazebo, I've just played a game with maya and I've started with literally zero forest/jungle 4 tiles around my capital. I think you forgot to give them a forest/jungle bias when you changed their UB for an UI.

And it was fun because Brazil was near me and he's got plenty of jungle forcing me to play aggressive to get those jungle tiles.

The map is spawned first, after that, startingpositions are detected after that they are handed out based on biases and randomness (afaik). Having other civs in the game with the same bias reduces your chance of getting a startinglocation that satisfies your bias.
Even if you don't have have other civs sharing the same bias, it is quite possible that no startingposition was placed close to a jungle, and you're handed out the one closest to it. Startinbias in general is pretty damn random.

The map is spawned first, after that, startingpositions are detected after that they are handed out based on biases and randomness (afaik). Having other civs in the game with the same bias reduces your chance of getting a startinglocation that satisfies your bias.
Even if you don't have have other civs sharing the same bias, it is quite possible that no startingposition was placed close to a jungle, and you're handed out the one closest to it. Startinbias in general is pretty damn random.

ok :D

I have nothing of significance to add here. I just wanted to say that maya has become, by far the most fun civ for me to play.

I echo the sediment that maya should be the basis to which all civs are compared to.

Every piece of their bonus is exciting. A great early defensive unit that can attacks twice. A faith and science improvement. And a leader bonus focused on great people which can be used to play basically any style.

All in all i just love this civ.

I've been looking for other civs that mesh so nicely to try out. Any suggestions?

So I haven't played the newest 2-13 beta yet, but with the change to how Great Musicians work, it seems to me that the Maya would have a ridiculous head start on the tourism victory if they went with a GM as their first person, automatically getting a neighboring civ up to familiar super earlygame. I'm going to test this strat out sometime next week, and see how it plays.

So I haven't played the newest 2-13 beta yet, but with the change to how Great Musicians work, it seems to me that the Maya would have a ridiculous head start on the tourism victory if they went with a GM as their first person, automatically getting a neighboring civ up to familiar super earlygame. I'm going to test this strat out sometime next week, and see how it plays.

Possibly, but without tourism per turn to maintain it, your influence will fall dramatically.

G

Not sure if this is a compatibility issue or bug, but I can't build any Kuna. Civilopedia says that they are unlocked at agriculture (so the start of the game), yet moving workers into the jungles around the city doesn't allow the ability to build them.

Is it a viable strat to settle down every GP we get?

Half of them can't be settled, and I wouldn't recommend settling a holy-site before you've enhanced your religion (and I wouldn't recommend not using the great prophet from your UA to enhance your religion). Other than that, sure why not? I really dislike Academies, but I have absolutely no problems with any of the other great tile improvements.

Top Bottom