Mayan Long Count

Mesix

The Allfather
Can someone please explain the Mayan Long Count. I understand that a free great person shows up at the end of each Long Count period, but when are there periods? What turns do they occur on? How does game speed affect this?

I would like to figure out how to best optimize the Mayan UA. Should I bee line Theocracy? Is there an optimal turn to finish Theocracy to get the earliest possible great person (and most "free" great people?

I tried to search the forums, but couldn't find this information anywhere.

Moderator Action: Moved to G&K.

On quick speed:
Turn 67
Turn 77
Turn 88
Turn 102
Turn 122
Turn 152

On standard speed:
Turn 62
Turn 72
Turn 86
Turn 101
Turn 117
Turn 133
Turn 152
Turn 183

Can someone please explain the Mayan Long Count. I understand that a free great person shows up at the end of each Long Count period, but when are there periods? What turns do they occur on? How does game speed affect this?

I would like to figure out how to best optimize the Mayan UA. Should I bee line Theocracy? Is there an optimal turn to finish Theocracy to get the earliest possible great person (and most "free" great people?

I tried to search the forums, but couldn't find this information anywhere.

Moderator Action: Moved to G&K.

They fire off every 392 years, so you get them more often near the beginning of the game when one game turn accounts for a longer period of time. I played them when I first picked up G&K, on a lower difficulty level when I was just having fun with the new mechanics, but I ran through the first list of GP and got about half way through my second before I finally abandoned that game.

I really couldn't say about timing as I haven't really refined any strategy here, but I think it's really going to benefit getting Theocracy ASAP because the early turns are such a big chunk of years and you'll get many GP in a short amount of time. I don't think the Admiral/General/(maybe Prophet?) are going to mess with your GP "bucket" if you're worried about that, so you could probably just get that GA for early exploring if you would like.

I believe there was a thread that gave the figures - although however early I go for Theology, I've never seen the 'recycling' of the Count others have mentioned, even in a game where I hit 2012 (final year of Bak'tun 12) after having previously taken all 7 GPs. Unless for some reason you tech to Theology very late, you'll always get all 7.

Beelining Theology is typically a good idea anyway, since most of the early techs the Maya want (Pottery for Pyramids, Calender for SH and plantations, Writing and Philosophy as with any other science civ) are on that path anyway, and they quite deliberately don't need Archery early on (although as you'll usually play wide and will want trade routes early for Messenger of the Gods, this isn't that much of a timesaver as you will need to get Archery fairly early to tech to The Wheel). But the first GP is usually only two or three turns after you get Theology, and since I invariably go for a GS Academy as my first GP, the earlier I can get it out the better.

once you get one of each great person, the process of getting one of each great person starts over again. In this case I researched theology ASAP with the help of the Great Library.

also, I think I noticed that choosing a great prophet increases the faith cost for the next great prophet.

I have updated the OP with the first two I received. I will continue to update as I get more information.

I only know for sure that the last one pops out in 2012, but I don't recall which turn is it on standard speed. Maybe 424 or something like that.

I only know for sure that the last one pops out in 2012, but I don't recall which turn is it on standard speed. Maybe 424 or something like that.

Wrong on 2 accounts. There is no "last" one ( the great people will just reset when you finish) and the date they take place depends on when you first get theology.

Really? I'm right sure the counting starts from turn zero, but you only get GPs after you researched theology. By last one, I meant the last one in the game, not the last one you can pick. I once had this game I started getting GP at the 5th baktun, so I assume it doesn't follow the after-theology order. I might be wrong, though, but I really remember that

I am almost positive that I did not get one in 2012 when I played however I may be wrong. It could be viable either way I suppose. I am sure someone can confirm.

Now I'm in doubt. I'm also sure I got one when the bak'tun was already at 4 or 5... hahaha. I shall check it up tomorrow, then :)

at work right now, will check when i get home. Currently playing, they do reset. Wasn't expecting it, had my full set and to my surprise got another in the 1600's , looking forward to the nuke in 2012.

Here are my long count bonus turn numbers from a standard speed game.
72, 86, 101,117,133,152,183, 234 and then it will be whatever 2012 is.
cheers
John

So it appears they are always at fixed intervals? Thanks for the heads up. I guess the only advantage to getting theo earlier would be that you get earlier long count bonuses ( assuming they start at the beginning of the game)

The interval in turns gets bigger as you get later in game years.I am not sure what tirn number 1500 bc is on standard speed and if you can get there on time to start the bonus . I had a lucky ruins tech and GL to get there by turn 72 but then I am not that flash a player
john

In the game I got to Theology before turn 72, I also had a hut provide a free tech (Horseback Riding which did not really help) and I built the Great Library for another free tech (Drama & Poetry which did help). I'm not sure how imperative it is to get the Great Library though because early expansion with a Pyramid in each city might speed up :c5science: enough to get there before turn 72.

Has anyone gotten Theology early enough to have a "free" great person before turn 72?

After some more testing I discovered that selecting the Great Prophet increases both the great person cost and the :c5faith: for the next Great Prophet.

The interval in turns gets bigger as you get later in game years.I am not sure what tirn number 1500 bc is on standard speed and if you can get there on time to start the bonus . I had a lucky ruins tech and GL to get there by turn 72 but then I am not that flash a player
john

Yea 4.0.0.0.0 is around 1536 BC, and I'm not sure if it is even possible to get Theology by then. That would be a good challenge to see if anyone can make it. You could also get another Great Person after 2012 (12.0.0.0.0) at 13.0.0.0.0, but it would probably take much longer than the whole game up to that point since the turns are a lot less calendar time, and the later turns take longer between the number of things to do and the turn times.

UPDATE: Best so far Turn 53 - 3.2.10.6.3 - Just need to find a way to shave a few more turns off and I can make the Great Person at 3.0.0.0.0

So what turn would that be for 4.0.0.0.0?? Like turn 51??

Ok, I see that turn 51 is 1960 BC on standard pace:)

Mayan Long-count forces one to put great people to good use!!

So has anyone out there developed a strategy for city spawn that mirrors the long-count?? It would seem that a player could manipulate the great point system so they could spawn 4 great people at the same time at least twice in a game and still have an adequate amount of Great Scientists to leapfrog through the eras (espec. after Industrial with faith), or perhaps even Great Engineers...

Yeah, I managed to research Theology pretty easily by turn 63 on emperor so got these long count GP @:
72, 86, 101,117,133,152,183, 234

The first two took Admiral and General as suggested...
Then it was Engineer (wonder), Merchant (CS Ally and $$ for settler), Great Artist (to extend Golden Age), Scientist (saving), Prophet (extra faith points).

I also read on the forums that you could spawn multiple Great People at the same time in the same city (4 more). So on turn 203 I did just this and put them to use (needed 700 GP points cause already built Pisa), then right after got another Great Engineer from Liberty finisher. I'm kinda glad that I needed 700 points cause it allowed me to catch up/even out the four.

Then I was happy to of gotten more Great people with my final long-count spawn so far at 234 and The Louvre. Happy for the artists cause I get a really long Golden Age (second one so far with 30 or more turns)

With this last final long-count spawn (t234) my next city spawn is at 1600. So 15 Great People have spawned by t234 which counts against spawn rate (four of which are scientists, and more scientist to come from faith). This of course doesn't include Great People purchased with faith, the Admiral, and the General.

I'm not sure even with Babylon how likely it would be to spawn that many Great Scientists by this point in the game.

Top Bottom