Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic

The next war came against the Japanese and started promptly in 670. I thought I would sweep off Japan, Rome, and then either the Dutch or the Indians or both. I settled 3 new cities and captured Yokohama, Satsuma, Tokyo, Edo, and spawned 3 MGLs. It looks like the Japanese had a few muskets, but not many, and spears and archers and longbows. My 670 save has an interesting image, which I don't think I considered significant at that time:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260421944-1.jpg

The Aztecs have a cavalry at their border, as usually happens. The Hittities have pikes running in my land, but even though the color scheme makes it hard to tell, they have a city down south, so those pikes merely need a road to travel on. But why do I have those English cavalry there? They didn't have a war with anyone, nor did they have any cities up north of my empire, nor any wars with my northern neighbors. Note that 021 had the Heroic Epic. So, here's a shot of about the same area in 680:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260421945.jpg

Yep. The English DoWed me, and took 021. But, they ONLY took that city, and they did NOT sign a military alliance against me with anyone. I didn't want that war, and I knew they had or could have cash to sign alliances. Multiple wars might not go well. So, once my turn in 680 came I signed in everyone else against the English, except for the Romans, who I didn't fear at all. I re-captued my city of 021, founded a new city, and captured the Japanese cities of Izumo, Nagasaki, Shimoneski, Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kagoshima, and Nagoya. I had a score of 3079, 128 cities, and 1367 terrain tiles for 24.87% of the domination limit.

I decided not to run to fight the English right away, as I knew I could capture the Roman territory quickly. I kind of hoped I could do it in a single turn and not have to worry about cleaning up units not in cities. But, since I needed some healing from the Japanese war, it didn't go that fast. I captured Viroconium, Veii, Hispalis, Pisae, and Cumae as well as spawning an MGL in 690. In 700 I captured Byzantium, Rome, Ravenna, razed Rome and replace it with new Rome for artillery I believe so that I could finish the Romans off (which I believed I could do at the time), Neapolis, Antium, Lutetia, and Pompeii.

However, the city of Brundisium lay in an odd spot:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260421946.jpg

I ended up having to wait until the 710-720 interturn for Portugal to finish the Romans off, and I believe I signed everyone (save Lizzie) in to the Roman war in 700 when I didn't realize where their last city/settler lay.

In 700 AD I had a score of 3270, 140 cities, and 1499 terrain tiles for 27.27% of the domination limit. The English did NOT have cities bordering mine, and I had a bunch of military alliances against them. So would I fight them? Artillery and defensive units couldn't reach their borders all too fast, so what would I do?

when you recaptured the city with HE in it, it was gone, wasn´t it?

templar_x

So, after finishing off the Romans I finished off the stacks of English units in Aztec territory in 710. The Celts, jumping over Iroquois territory captured an English city in 710 and would capture 4 more English cities soon enough. I decided to use my 20 some armies at this point to basically go out and fight the English by themselves, with the movement towards English territory starting at about 720:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260668848.jpg

The armies near the jungle I actually initially thought as the fastest route, but the armies in the south actually ended up as the fastest right via the RoP with the Aztecs. I knew the English had rifles, but they don't usually pose too much of a match for cavalry armies.

In 720 I planted 044 and gained another MGL, making for an army count of 24. The Celts had Communism and Espionage by this point, which I eventually traded for later. In 730 I planted 045. I didn't get to attack Portsmouth, but I got close:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260668849.jpg

In 740 I captured Portsmouth. In 750 I captured Berwick, Carlisle, and Liverpool. I also learned Scientific Method this turn, swapped my palace pre-build to the Theory of Evolution via "what's the big picture", finished it, and immediately took Atomic Theory and Electronics as my free techs. I started research on The Corporation, due in 6 turns at full steam, with 1040 gpt coming in per turn.

In 760 I captured Warwick and Richmond and planted 046. I also left Liverpool undefended, not judging my squares right, and England retook it. In 770 I recaptured Liverpool, and I captured Exeter, Canterbury, and Coventry. In 770 it looks like I used an army trick to make sure that the English could not attack Warwick, nor would I need to defned it with a unit and thus possibly lose an army on a flip (I think the redlined army gets covered with another army before the end of the turn):
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260668850.jpg

Crp Viewer tells me that the English retook Warwick and Carlisle in 780. No doubt they got them back on flips. In 780 I captured Ipswich, Gloucester, York, Newcastle, Leicester. In 790 I captured Bristol, Dover, Nottingham, Birmingham, and Warwick. I lost Newcastle and Gloucester in 790, which even though it comes 1 turn after I captured both of them, I believe I lost them on flips. This doesn't mean that I lost them the turn I captured them though, as I believe I captured then in 780, England took its 780 turn, I moved things around in 790, and then on England's turn in 790 I lost the cities via cultural flip.

In 800 I captured Carlisle, Gloucester, Newcastle, London, Bath, and Hastings. England re-gained Bristol this turn, again I believe via cultural flip instead of taking it by force. In 810 I settled 047 and captured Bristol, while England re-gained Coventry. In 820 I captured the English cities of Coventry and Asyut, finally ending the English. They did have a large empire:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260668851.jpg

They had a score of 3896 at this point, which would gradually decline over the next thousand plus years, but they would remain in second place in terms of score. I hadn't had my workers cross Aztec and Iroquois territory, as I thought that would take too long. So, I had basically only English slaves running about trying to create a new city-city rail network in England. At least I had RP. In 820 Crp Viewer has my score at 4595 with 166 cities, and 2029 for 36.92% of the domination limit. I had 4 turns left on Steel pulling 1296 gpt at 100% science. I had Communism, Espionage, and Fascism, and had traded some of the AIs Replacable Parts, as I knew I couldn't keep them away from it, and I wanted their gpt for it. Of note, comes the set of deals with the Celts... I believe the 17 turn gpt deal indicates when I sold Replacable Parts:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260668852.jpg

830 would mark a year of consolidation where I quelled English resistors and healed my armies. I also finished upgrading units to artilleries, infantry, and guerrilas around this time and started buying armies again. I considered who I wanted to attack next. With my armies down in old England, I figured I may as well attack Portugal since I wouldn't have to move me armies across someone else's territory to fight the next war. My 820 save indicates 2 or so of my armies not down near English territory with my military looking like this, after I think I lost two armies in the English war:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260669514.jpg

When I declared war on Portugal in 840 I got a surprise which I believe I thought I saw coming a turn or two before, but I promptly forgot about when I decided to attack Portugal.

Since I decided to sell Replacable Parts the Portugese did have infantry in their cities, at least as their first defender. So, I more-or-less adopted a green-only rule for my armies, I would only attack with them if they had green status for hp (unlike my 8/9 hp guideline for attacking rifles). I formally declared on Portugal, attacked an infantry in Viseu, and had the Celts declare on me due to an MPP they had with Portugal. So, at 100% science I only made 397 gpt now, and I made military alliances with everyone against the Celts and the Portuguese. I missed that I had a Celtic city bordering one of my cities on the first turn of the war, but I didn't have a Celtic cavalry sneak on up me:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936661.jpg

In 840 I captured Viseu from the Portugese, and captured Reading, Norwich, and Leeds from the Celts in addition to settling 050. I also remember taking out some of the Celtic forces out near the rest of old English territory. In 850 I noticed that corridor up near Burgidala and started assaulting Celtic cities with artillery, veteran and elite cavalry, and new cavalry armies coming out. The Celts did have Replacable Parts, but didn't have rubber, so they had rifles. It seems strange that I fought the better defensive units of the Portugese with armies only at the start, and gradually got some artillery support as I captured some from the Portugese cities, adn fought the weaker defensive units of the Celts with a more full-on artillery assault from the get-go.

In 850 I learned Steel and started 7 turn research on Refining. I accidently lost Gloucester to the Portugese via carelessness, I took Guarda from the Portugese, and I captured Oxford, Brighton, and Burgidala from the Celts. I prepared to take Cataractonium the next turn as you can see here (and there's no settler in that stack):
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936662.jpg

I would soon start running a cavalry army to the back of Portugese territory to pillage out their horses, but it ended up that my armies capturing cities got there maybe a turn or two behind the pillager, so it doesn't seem like it really helped enough to warrant it in retrospect:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936663.jpg

In 860 I recaptured Gloucester from the Portugese, and captured Cataractonium from the Celts. I then put a settler one tile next to Cataractonium, disbanded it, and captured Ratae Coritanorum, as I had some weird cultural problem where I couldn't move artillery to bombard Ratae Coritanorum with where Ratae Coritanorum lay. Or so I recall. I should have moved workers into Ratae Coritanorum, before I disbanded it, and I did do this with some other cities I disbanded later, but I didn't this time. Guarda also got an army surrounding like what happened in the English war, though I really didn't need some of the armies to do that there, only some of them on the front side:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936665.jpg

In 870 I founded two cities to bombard Richborough and Augustodorum, gained an MGL, captured Celtic Gergovia, Richborough, Augustodorum, and Portugese Sao Paulo. In 880 I captured Celtic Agendicum, Alesia, and Eboracum, settled 054, and Portugese Badajoz, and Castelo Branco. Here and there after this, I would keep founding cities to help artillery bombard a city. Somewhere around here I signed an RoP with the Hittites to get to all of Celtic territory. The Portugese also had horses near Luanda:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936852.jpg

In 890 I captured Celtic Evora, and Portugese Luanda, Lourenca, Alacer, and Leiria. The Hittites also became my best trading partner:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936852-1.jpg

In 900 I captured Celtic Verulamium and Camulodunum, and captured Portugese Brundisium, Lagos, Emerita, Oporto, and Lisbon, and lost Viseu to the Portugese via flip or capture. In 910 I captured Celtic Entremont which held Shakespeare's Theater, and Portugese Viseu, Rio Janiero, Braga, Guimares, and Sarges. That would do it for Portugal. I had a score of 5901, with 218 cities, and 2561 terrain tiles for 46.60% of the domination limit.

I needed one more turn to finish off the Celts, taking the oddly placed cities of Lindum and Houston in 920:
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1260936853.jpg

The next war would also come as a sort of double-front war. But this time, it happened only against one tribe: The Aztecs. I somehow managed to get them to declare on me. I signed everyone in against them. But I wouldn't wait until even 930. My assault on the Aztecs started in 920, the turn I learned Refining and started a 6 turn run on Combustion.

I think that gives us the main picture of that game. The Aztecs took about 3 turns. I signed the Dutch in and they took an Aztec city. The Iroquois also 3 turns. I passed Tone in score around here, a lead which would grow, and then shrink later on due to having a lower domination limit. The Indians took a single turn, so I didn't even have to withstand a counterattack. On the same turn I gave a boot order to the Dutch and since they didn't declare, I then plopped settlers around some hills in my empire, aptly named "Bill Trap" to manuever Dutch units into two stacks at coastal squares, which I surrounded with armies.

The Dutch took 3 or so turns, and had a "free" settler floating about, so I did destroy their large stacks of units, but after I had taken the Dutch's cities and disbanded a few as I finally statrted to get near 66 percent of the territory. They still payed me gpt when I attacked them, but I could care less. I also trained a fair number of settlers and workers and disbanded city spots I didn't like.

I didn't go for sea squares, instead going with the "green is good" idea, looking for spots which wouldn't require temples and where I could get my cities to grow as fast as possible. I founded the Hittite prison, gifted it to them, and, surrounded it with armies. I waited until the RoP with the Hittites expired and then went into the final war, razing all their cities. I thought I had all settlers of theirs when I made peace and signed an RoP so I could surround the Prison with 8 armies, but they had a settler out somewhere which appeared as a city. So I had to wait 20 turns, and then had another city, so I razed two more cities later. I got to Ecology with something like 10% luxuries to sustain a little more happiness, then cranked up luxuries to 80% or 90% and finished things out. Final score of 56,150.

Here you can see a screenshot from the endgame replay.
Spoiler :

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/Spoonwood792000/1274067487.jpg

For the HoF entry go here. You'll find a link there which brings you back to this thread. Which takes you back there, which brings you back here, etc. In case anyone wishes to view a replay of the game via a satellite in toto, here you go:

Attachments

• Spoonwood of the Maya, 2049 AD DS.SAV
    683.3 KB · Views: 147
So you basically slaughtered and massacred an entire huge map on diety? Sick.
I accidentally attached some photos on here sorry. They're cool though.

View attachment 252904

3858, Huge, Warm, Wet, 5 billion, Pangea. Opponents:
Spoiler :

4000 BC Move Settler

3950 BC Found 001:
Spoiler :

worker for combo factory, worker roads. Luxes to 20%, no science.

3850 BC Worker irrigates, lux. to 10%.

3700 BC: 001 worker-granary, workers move:
Spoiler :

3650 BC: Both workers move.

3600 BC: Both workers mine.

3500 BC: 001 grows, luxes up.

3450 BC: Culture pop:
Spoiler :

Both workers road.

3350 BC: Luxes down to 40%. Both workers move to BGs.

3300 BC: Luxes up to 60%, all happy citizens. Both workers mine. Score 113/114.

3250 BC: First wonder built:
Spoiler :

3100 BC: Luxes:
Spoiler :
Use unmined BG on river.

3050 BC: 001 granary-warrior.

3000 BC: Workers move. Swap to mined BG not on river.

2950 BC: 001 warrior-warrior, goes out exploring towards tobacco. Both workers road.

2900 BC: 001 warrior-warrior, goes out exploring on mountain Luxes to 90%.

2850 BC: 001 warrior-settler, warrior fortifies, luxes down to 80%. Worker moves to road BG on river within 001's city radius.

2800 BC: Luxes to 90%, -1 gpt, with 75 in the bank.

2750 BC: We love the Grand Philosopher celebrated. Luxes down to 80% as worker will complete road this turn.

2710 BC: 001 settler-warrior. Settler goes on top of spice hills. Worker moves.

2670 BC: 001 warrior-settler. Warrior fortifies. Settler founds 002, uses roaded mountain for a turn, starts on worker. Luxes back to 60%. Coast spotted
Spoiler :

2630 BC: Luxes up to 70%. Worker moves onto game. Another coast spotted. Swap tiles in 001 and 002. Change 002 to warrior.

2590 BC: Worker chops game. Other worker near game spot mines.

2550 BC: 001 settler-warrior. Luxes to 60%. Coast mapped well enough.

2510 BC: Second wonder:
Spoiler :
Furs seen a turn before, but I didn't see them:
Spoiler :
003 founded, will get shields next turn from game chop.

2470 BC: 002 warrior-worker. Road game.

2430 BC: Spot another game.

2390 BC: Irrigate game. Spot gems!:
Spoiler :

2350 BC: Score 213.

2310 BC: 002 worker-warrior.

2270 BC: Spices spotted!:
Spoiler :

2190 BC: More coast spotted. Curragh met:
Spoiler :
it's the Netherlands.

2150 BC: Meet Bill near Spices.
Spoiler :

2110 BC: Bill settles there on Spice source. More curragh action.

2070 BC: Buy worker from Bill for 100 gold. Luxes to 60%. Take 003 off game to roaded river so granary completed before growth.

2030 BC: Dutch start "Oracle".

1950 BC: 003 granary-settler. Meet Byzantines:
Spoiler :
004 founded.

1910 BC: 005 founded. Persia met:
Spoiler :

1870 BC: Dutch start Great Lighthouse.

1830 BC: Found 006.

1790 BC: Meet French:
Spoiler :
Found 007.

This isn't a level 7 game by the way. It's level 8. Thanks for the correction Calis. The game has gone a little bit further. More than 10 cities, but here's my palace pre-build for the Forbidden Palace:
Spoiler :
I don't know about this one quite yet, as the Dutch do have 2 Dyes, but that could disappear and I could end up in a pickle.

3 billion years old? Sure?

Thanks for the correction, pics now up. Inspired by CommandoBob's write-up I might go and play Chieftain SS or more M.U.L.E. for a while, or the gauntlet before I sink my teeth deep into this one.

I did play back on the Atari 800 and the Nintendo, though very rarely with anyone else (my brothers introduced me to the game). I play on Planet M.U.L.E. online with people, and I find it quite interesting. Here's Planet M.U.L.E.'s "how-to-play". Here's an introduction video by them on YouTube. And the wikipedia.

Well M.U.L.E. has become an even more and more fun game. But, I've squeezed in some more time on this. In 950 I finally had some luxuries to trade for:
Spoiler :

Here's what it looked like pre-tax collectors:
Spoiler :

I have 4 workers and 2 warriors there.

It went up to 105 gpt post tax collectors.

Deal 1:
Spoiler :

Deal 2:
Spoiler :

Deal 3:
Spoiler :

The road was then cut. Then it got re-built.

Deal 4:
Spoiler :

Deal 5:
Spoiler :

Deal 6:
Spoiler :

The road got cut once more. Then re-built. Finally came

Deal 7:
Spoiler :

Deal 8:
Spoiler :

Then all citizens went back to working tiles and the luxury slider got adjusted. Embassies with all the 5 known tribes, the Dutch, Persians, French, Byzantines, and Carthaginians got built. RoPs were signed with Persia and the Dutch, 100 gold to the Persians, and 80 gold to the Dutch.

Top Bottom