Maybe I'm thick but...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kiwikim, Jan 31, 2006.

1. kiwikim

kiwikim Chieftain

...how do I declare war on a country that won't talk to me??? :confused:

I'm sure there is a very simpe answer to this, but I can't find it. In Civ 3 it was a simple matter of walking up to one of their units and saying 'yes, I want to declare war' when you tried to occupy the same tile, but now it seems to be all done through the diplomacy screen.

Problem is that the country I want to annihilate (because they will win the Space race if I don't and I have a much bigger army) aren't talking to me and we have closed borders, so there seems to be no way for me to get a war started other than wait till they start talking again?? Help please, cos it's driving me nuts!

2. nin9abadga

nin9abadga Chieftain

you can move your dudes into their territory and the message pops up saying "does this mean war" or whatever, that's usually how i do it!

nin9abadga

3. kiwikim

kiwikim Chieftain

I've tried that but my units just do nothing if I tell them to move into the other country - I guess because we have closed borders?

4. Gyspsysmoke

Gyspsysmoke Chieftain

If you try and move a unit into a country that you have closed boarders with you should get the "This means war" prompt...at least I always have...

5. Yzen Danek

Yzen Danek Warlord

Move your mouse over their name on the score list in the bottom right. You'll notice that at the bottom it says Alt-left-click to declare war.

This game has a ton of great hotkey and interface combos to really speed up the GUI. They're all listed in the back of the manual. Very worthwhile.

6. kiwikim

kiwikim Chieftain

cheers #5 - I figured it was because I was being thick!! :lol: I had tried the alt-left-click thing but not whilst over their score-list name. It's off to war then...

7. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

"Have fun storming the castle!"
    -- The Princess Bride

:)

8. oagersnap

oagersnap Emperor

Even though your question has been answered, I can tell you this. It's probably because you're trying to move your unist to the middle of their territory. Try moving the units onto one of their tiles just across the border. (It has to be adjacent with the border.)

9. boris_k

boris_k Chieftain

Further to this answer, I've found that if I use the 'G' key to cross the border (in order to get the Declare War prompt) that it doesn't work.
    Using the Numpad does though.

10. Nilrim

Nilrim Warlord

Targeting one of his cities with one of your Nukes should do the trick :lol:

11. CVDon

CVDon Warlord

Do you have a Peace Treaty for 10 turns?

12. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

Numpad always moves to an adjacent tile. I think if you use "G," then click a tile just inside the enemy border, it will work. (But I've not got Civ going now so can't check to be sure.)

13. xonixs

xonixs Warlord

It Does NOT!

14. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I hate that the 10-turn peace treaty can't be broken. That's dumb. It should be a ridiculous reputation hit if you do it, but it should still be possible.

15. the_dong146

the_dong146 Chieftain

if you want to do things that way Helmling use ceasefire :p

16. calyth

calyth /bin/sh of a man

If you have the score list open, it should tell you holding either Ctrl or Alt when clicking on the AI's name would declare war.
    I however had a habit of mixing things up using that setup, but usually that would declare war under any situation.
    the_dong146: have you sen the ceasefire thing in diplomatic screen?
    Helmling: IIRC Civ 3 had a 20 turn peace treaty.

17. Nilrim

Nilrim Warlord

Then you must be stuck in a 10 turn peace treaty. You can check this in the Diplo screen under the active tab.