Mayor of Boston is opposed to Chick-Fil-A in his City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just sayin I've noticed in this thread and others that conservatives in general tend to shout "Freedoms!" all the time and point to the constitution over and over again. They seem to miss some fundamental facts about what is in the constitution while they are doing so. Like the fact that the church cannot and should not dominate the state or be used to deny rights.

Edit: I have yet to see an anti-SSM argument that does not come from church doctrine ultimately.

They're defining freedom a fundamentally different way, that's where most of the disconnect lies. For example, atheists like myself are functionally criminals under Dominionist reasoning because we can't swear oaths.

If I say that I should hold the reigns of society because I heard a flaming bush talking to me, or because I'd be the first in line to kill my son when I heard a voice in my head, I would (rightfully) be checked into an asylum.

Look, I know what you're saying. I'm not really in disagreement on substance, but we've got to quit stooping to this kind of stuff. The public face of atheism is increasingly ugly and I don't think running around calling people stupid is the best way forward.

Look, I know what you're saying. I'm not really in disagreement on substance, but we've got to quit stooping to this kind of stuff. The public face of atheism is increasingly ugly and I don't think running around calling people stupid is the best way forward.

In terms of actual atrocities that do real damage and kill real people, we're well under par if all we do is bring a little too much reality in.

I've been making this point to my buddies at the local athiest club forever. However, I tend to forgive them given the sheer number of people holding up signs everywhere in my town telling us we are going to burn in hell.

Is it really any different than what many of the evangelists and fundamentalists do on a regular basis?

It is more a matter of the futility of trying to discuss topics with people who actually believe such things. They can either fall back on their religious beliefs which cause them to think this way and interpret passages from the Bible as their source. Or they can concoct elaborate pretenses about how people who disagree with them must view the world and argue against that.

And how is this statement really any different?

They're defining freedom a fundamentally different way, that's where most of the disconnect lies. For example, atheists like myself are functionally criminals under Dominionist reasoning because we can't swear oaths.

I've been making this point to my buddies at the local athiest club forever. However, I tend to forgive them given the sheer number of people holding up signs everywhere in my town telling us we are going to burn in hell.

Ever heard of Gandhi? Peaceful revolting is the way to go. Having the moral upper hand will always help you.

Ever heard of Gandhi? Peaceful revolting is the way to go. Having the moral upper hand will always help you.

Oh the guy who was killed by religious extremists and whose death was followed by a long series of bloody pogroms and murders perpetrated by other religious extremists?

Your point is well taken.;)

Aha! Figured there was a Chick-Fil-A thread buried in here somewhere!
Also, on a related note, Chick Fil A has always been one of my favorite fast-food restaurants and I ate lunch there today.
Right after this whole thing broke, I decided to head over and try a tasty Hate Chicken sandwich (yes, originally it was just to spite same-sex-marriage wingnuts :D however the food turned out to be very good!)

I say let the market decide. If you don't like their ideology, then don't go there. This goes both ways, since we can boycott products that go against our moral values.
The big problem with boycotts and strikes these days is not that we choose not to do business somewhere--it's that the boycotters and strikers are always trying to prevent other people from doing business there.

Oh, and I have something to say to Mr. Adam Smith: neener neener! :lol:

I just saw the Chick-fil-a apreciation day as a gathering of people that were easy to manipulate. Not hard to pick up clients in that environment. Thanks Chick-fil-a.

What bar association do you belong to?

I just read the Mayor's letter. It was just a polite f' you, we don't like your kind (bigots) here letter. It wasn't threatening any block of commerce.

Hygro enters the thread with some reality, and is promptly ignored.

Wouldn't want to ruin some good threadpage filling indignation now would we.

I pointed the same thing out on page 2 and have done so repeatedly since then.

Oh the guy who was killed by religious extremists and whose death was followed by a long series of bloody pogroms and murders perpetrated by other religious extremists?

Your point is well taken.;)
don't forget that he tacitly endorsed the actions of other extremists and put his stamp on a course of action that was virtually impossible to follow without even more blood

@Crezth: I'd say marriage isn't cultural as much as it is economic. Marriage always brought together two people's land and wealth into union.

You can make the argument both ways, although arguing that it's economic really does preclude there being any type of restrictions at all.

Of course, that might be your point.

don't forget that he tacitly endorsed the actions of other extremists and put his stamp on a course of action that was virtually impossible to follow without even more blood

to borrow your word: quality:D

I pointed the same thing out on page 2 and have done so repeatedly since then.

What is it with American Christian's sado-masochistical persecution complex? The most powerful demographic in the USA and they just can't help victimising themselves.

I'd say: Christ almighty, but that would of course be viewed as an atheist attack on the good lord and savior deserving more gnashing of teeth.

The free speech angle is of course bollocks, since it seems the mayor of Boston doesn't enjoy that priviledge.

Edit: and tbe biggest gripe I have about all of this, is that I have to credit BasketCase as the only one being honest enough to reveal his motivations for supporting CFA. So thanks a lot you bunch of effing nitwits.

Hat's off BC. Well done for admitting you just went there to be a bastard. Genuinly appreciate your honesty.

You can make the argument both ways, although arguing that it's economic really does preclude there being any type of restrictions at all.

Of course, that might be your point.

I just think the economic argument for marriage equality is stronger; that there are economic benefits (i.e. tax breaks for married couples, etc.) sought by all people which ought to be nondiscriminatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom