1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayor of Boston is opposed to Chick-Fil-A in his City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CELTICEMPIRE, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madviking

madviking north american scum

@Crezth: I'd say marriage isn't cultural as much as it is economic. Marriage always brought together two people's land and wealth into union.

2. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

They're defining freedom a fundamentally different way, that's where most of the disconnect lies. For example, atheists like myself are functionally criminals under Dominionist reasoning because we can't swear oaths.

3. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Look, I know what you're saying. I'm not really in disagreement on substance, but we've got to quit stooping to this kind of stuff. The public face of atheism is increasingly ugly and I don't think running around calling people stupid is the best way forward.

4. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

You just wait.

5. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

In terms of actual atrocities that do real damage and kill real people, we're well under par if all we do is bring a little too much reality in.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I've been making this point to my buddies at the local athiest club forever. However, I tend to forgive them given the sheer number of people holding up signs everywhere in my town telling us we are going to burn in hell.

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Is it really any different than what many of the evangelists and fundamentalists do on a regular basis?

It is more a matter of the futility of trying to discuss topics with people who actually believe such things. They can either fall back on their religious beliefs which cause them to think this way and interpret passages from the Bible as their source. Or they can concoct elaborate pretenses about how people who disagree with them must view the world and argue against that.

And how is this statement really any different?

8. Save_Ferris

Ever heard of Gandhi? Peaceful revolting is the way to go. Having the moral upper hand will always help you.

9. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Just like the Israe-

10. Save_Ferris

You'll at least be more publically acceptable.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Oh the guy who was killed by religious extremists and whose death was followed by a long series of bloody pogroms and murders perpetrated by other religious extremists?

Your point is well taken.;)

12. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Aha! Figured there was a Chick-Fil-A thread buried in here somewhere!
    Right after this whole thing broke, I decided to head over and try a tasty Hate Chicken sandwich (yes, originally it was just to spite same-sex-marriage wingnuts :D however the food turned out to be very good!)

The big problem with boycotts and strikes these days is not that we choose not to do business somewhere--it's that the boycotters and strikers are always trying to prevent other people from doing business there.

Oh, and I have something to say to Mr. Adam Smith: neener neener! :lol:

13. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

What bar association do you belong to?

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Hygro enters the thread with some reality, and is promptly ignored.

Wouldn't want to ruin some good threadpage filling indignation now would we.

15. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I pointed the same thing out on page 2 and have done so repeatedly since then.

16. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

don't forget that he tacitly endorsed the actions of other extremists and put his stamp on a course of action that was virtually impossible to follow without even more blood

17. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

You can make the argument both ways, although arguing that it's economic really does preclude there being any type of restrictions at all.

Of course, that might be your point.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

to borrow your word: quality:D

19. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

What is it with American Christian's sado-masochistical persecution complex? The most powerful demographic in the USA and they just can't help victimising themselves.

I'd say: Christ almighty, but that would of course be viewed as an atheist attack on the good lord and savior deserving more gnashing of teeth.

The free speech angle is of course bollocks, since it seems the mayor of Boston doesn't enjoy that priviledge.

Edit: and tbe biggest gripe I have about all of this, is that I have to credit BasketCase as the only one being honest enough to reveal his motivations for supporting CFA. So thanks a lot you bunch of effing nitwits.

Hat's off BC. Well done for admitting you just went there to be a bastard. Genuinly appreciate your honesty.

20. madviking

madviking north american scum

I just think the economic argument for marriage equality is stronger; that there are economic benefits (i.e. tax breaks for married couples, etc.) sought by all people which ought to be nondiscriminatory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.