1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayor of Boston is opposed to Chick-Fil-A in his City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CELTICEMPIRE, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Presuming, of course, that the private citizen in question has no power. Nothing could be further from the truth, because while a government official may pass laws and somesuch, private citizens are often just as capable of implementing systems of harmful discrimination. Especially when we're talking about the President of a rather large corporation like Chick-fil-A, whose power and influence probably exceeds that of at least a few Congressmen.

If I may beat you over the head with my point, it is a private citizen's choice to institute a policy, for example, like this:

Spoiler :

2. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

Cathy is a terrible capitalist. He closes his stores on what could potentially be a very profitable day. His sandwiches are not nearly as expensive as they could be to maximize profit. Seriously, man, study your damn Laffer curve. Also, if he only allowed tips, he could work everyone for less than minimum wage and save a boatload of money.

I'm going to have to give him a mere 7% on my capitalist effectiveness scale.

3. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

AFAIK, they aren't closing in Boston, which is good. I'm saying they shouldn't, given that the mayor has threatened to remove them.

4. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Again, Menino has done no such thing because he has no actual power to do so.

5. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

6. holy king

holy king Deity

this thread wouldnt have 45 pages if anyone cared about that. somebody points it out every 3 pages or so and promptly is ingored by everyone.

7. Formaldehyde

Do they even exist outside of possibly a few oddballs?

Link to video.

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

You may not beat me over the head, because I would gladly acquiesce that the CEO of Chikken joints does have increased scrutiny on some issues as well. Despite the fact that a mayor may not have direct control of all zoning, he has increased scrutiny regarding governmental permits. While the CEO of a franchised restaurant chain may not have any sort of real power to enforce discriminatory serving policies on individual franchise owners where it would be illegal, yes he would be subject to increased scrutiny if he said his chain shouldn't serve or hire homosexuals.

And yes, the comic is very pithy.

9. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Particularly considering that in the early church Sunday was not considered a day of rest at all. When Emperor Constantine made it a day of rest under Roman Civil Law, but did not explicitly connect this with Christ. (The act could be seen as an attempt to honor either Christ or his previous favorite deity, the syncretic pagan sun god Sol Invictus. It is generally thought that he was leaning towards Christianity by this time, but he had not officially converted yet.) The Church never officially made Sunday a day of rest. The norm before Constantine was for Christians to rise very early and gather together for worship and good works before sunrise, so they would have time to go about their regular jobs during the daylight hours.

Sunday is not the Sabbath, and keeping the Sabbath is not required for gentiles anyway. Early Jewish Christians tended to rest on the Sabbath as well as gather for communion the next morning.

10. Formaldehyde

Yet there are all these blue laws written by Christians to enforce just that.

11. Save_Ferris

And he shouldn't. That's my point.

12. holy king

holy king Deity

yeah, well, he doesnt.

13. Save_Ferris

The premise of this thread was that the mayor didn't want Chick-Fil-A in his city. You said that he couldn't ban it. I said he shouldn't be able to (hypothetically) do that. I think this thread has served its time.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

And by "they", you mean corporation. It's ok to be in favor of corporate liberty, just don't be so shy about it.

15. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Not funny at all to hear you commit yet another straw-man fallacy.

I argued that the majority of Chick-Fil-A's new customers are going there to spite pro-gay wingnuts; that should be obvious, since most of them started going to CFA after the protests happened. I did not argue what you're saying I did; you twisted the words around into something they're not.

Spite is not childish or petty or vindictive (if it is, then you just insulted about two-thirds of CFC's membership--because spite happens in CFC all the damn time).

Don't go twisting my words around. In fact, around me, don't paraphrase. Ever.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I don't think you know what that means.

Or you'll...?

17. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

You seem to use the term "straw-man fallacy" a lot. It is a fallacy in itself to use it as a defence or a attack all the time.

18. holy king

holy king Deity

besides a strawman argument isnt really a fallacy.

19. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Wait, you guys think people are going to Chick-Fila-A because of gay marriage, one way of the other? Seriously?

20. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

...yes. More indirectly (more publicity -> more customers), granted, but there are those going just to show their support and their opposition for the modern trend towards tolerance in society, decline of fundamentalist Christian values, etc etc - it's never about the 'trigger cause', but that can still provide a focus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.