McMonkey's Scenarios

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
In the interests of self publicity I would just like to let you guys and girls know that I have uploaded most of my scenario archive to the Civ Fanatics database. There is:

A Soaring Spirit

MGE. Designed for multiplayer games but may be good for a very easy single player game. Don't expect too much from the AI on the large map until the Persian invasions. A single player Test of Time version is in development.

Aeterna Civitas II

MGE. Again designed primarily for multiplayer but will probably play OK as single player, though I can't guarentee how much of a challenge the AI would be. Probably best played as Rome. Again a single player ToT version is being developed.

Bonaparte III

MGE. Pretty much the same as Aeterna Civitas in that it was developed for multiplayer. This is an adaption of Patient English's original Bonaparte but on a bigger map, which is why the AI may struggle to have a real impact. Could be a laugh in single player though.

Rise of the Dictators

MGE. Definitely a multiplayer (PBEM) only scenario. You could play it single player but I doubt it would follow a particularly historical path. Might be interesting to see what the AI gets up to!?

Fortress Europe

ToT. The only tailor made single player game. Although it is an Alpha test at the moment I think it is quite playable. To perfect it might take a little while. Feel free to have a go and let me know what you think.

I tried Fortress Europe on the Chronicles ToT version but it CTDed... Any suggestion?:confused:

At what point did it CTD? If it was as you tried to load the game it could be that the scenario folder name is too long. Try renaming it 'Fortress Europe' and see if it makes any difference. I don't have any issues on my version of ToT with folder name lengths but I know it can cause problems for others.

Sorry, should have been more explicit. I don't think it's name related, as I had the same issue with some recently reissued Civ2 scenarios converted to ToT. I suspect it's version related, but without any other info than instant CTD when Enter-ing the scenario selection, I'm basically clueless.

I don't know anything about the Chronicles ToT version. Is there any difference between this version and the original one?

Is there a ToT patch somewhere? I will have a look!

There is a ToT v1.1 Patch here: Patch in Downloads database. I'm no expert about these things but I suggest you try adding the patch and trying the scenario again. If it works then I will make a note of this on the scenario dl screen.

I've installed the Chronicles patch and now the scenario loads OK. :D (I'll also check for the other ToT conversions.)

EDIT I noticed something else: the Spitfire looks like a Caravel in-game...

I don't think it's name related, as I had the same issue with some recently reissued Civ2 scenarios converted to ToT. I suspect it's version related...
Anyone attempting to play or design scenarios with ToT should be using version 1.1. The conversions I uploaded to CFC a few months ago state version 1.1 as a requirement in the description field. They are incompatible with version 1.0. You can find the version number under Game Options (Ctrl+O).
I also noticed this Chronicles patch (which includes the one you posted): http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8534 (Didn't even know there was a Chronicles patch either...)
There is no official Chronicles patch (see here and here). Why 2K Games didn't include the latest versions is beyond me.
I noticed something else: the Spitfire looks like a Caravel in-game...
Designer error. Sprites.

Anyone attempting to play or design scenarios with ToT should be using version 1.1. The conversions I uploaded to CFC a few months ago state version 1.1 as a requirement in the description field. They are incompatible with version 1.0. You can find the version number under Game Options (Ctrl+O).
There is no official Chronicles patch (see here and here). Why 2K Games didn't include the latest versions is beyond me.
Designer error. Sprites.

I was indeed referring to your ToT conversions, which now also load OK. :goodjob:

I know there wasn't an official Chronicles patch, and it's beyond me too why there wasn't...

I don't get what you mean by "Sprites"; can it be fixed?

I think I missed out the "override .SPR file for this unit" of the @UNITS_ADVANCED section (column G) in the Rules file. The RAF Fighter is set as 00000010 and should be 10000010. In fact there needs to be a number 1 added to all of the units.

If I'm wrong about this please set me straight Catfish :)

If it is the correct fix I will make sure it in the next update I upload.

Corrected the RAF fighter, looks fine now. ;) (I'm not following your additional change suggestion, as the RAF fighter was the only one not looking OK in-game AFAIK.)

I think I missed out the "override .SPR file for this unit" of the @UNITS_ADVANCED section (column G) in the Rules file. The RAF Fighter is set as 00000010 and should be 10000010. In fact there needs to be a number 1 added to all of the units.

If I'm wrong about this please set me straight Catfish :)

If it is the correct fix I will make sure it in the next update I upload.
It's the correct fix. SL members ought to know ToT sprites sideways and backwards by now, it's been explained that many times. If I ever have to explain it to one of them again, I'm going to punch someone in the head. :p

That's what I thought... Got any hint on how to do it (being unfamiliar with ToT editing)?
Here's the short version, for scenarios with no sprites. Here's the long version.

Corrected the RAF fighter, looks fine now. ;) (I'm not following your additional change suggestion, as the RAF fighter was the only one not looking OK in-game AFAIK.)
I downloaded the scenario to check. It will only affect selected units. That's because the .SPR file override under Scenario Parameters (Ctrl+Shift+P) has been checked. This override blocks static sprites but not animated ones. You have animated units enabled (Graphic Options: Ctrl+P), so any selected unit will use the animated sprite from the Original directory. Note that you won't be able to toggle animated units or terrain on and off from within this scenario (without cheating) because the toggles have been locked (CivConverter does this automatically). However, you can switch to the Original game, change your options there and then reload the scenario. Anyway, if the scenario designer implements the above method, you won't have to worry about any of this.

Many of the units in the scenario are 8-bit versions of 24-bit icons. Then again, most of the terrain is 8-bit as well. I suppose that's to be expected; it's a CivConverter job - and it is an 'alpha' (Are you sure it's a good idea to be uploading alpha versions to the CFC database?). That Horsa isn't Fairline's. It was made for this modpack. What's the reason for including the Visual Basic Run-time Library?

With the exception of Kobayashi's DST, most of those conversions are pretty old. Many were uploaded to Apolyton years ago. I switched to CFC because it's more reliable, its future looks brighter, it receives more traffic, and it has an upload system that is simple to use and actually works. I've played more Civ4 this year (mostly FFH2) than I have Civ2 over the past three or four. That's not to say I won't add any more ToT conversions. Did you have any in mind? I'd probably only be looking at classics. And don't say Second Front or I'll kill you. ;)

Actually, I'd love to see a working version of Eivind's Mafia scenario... Anyway, nice work on the coversions so far. :goodjob: (BTW, why don't you have a ToT thread on it? Just wondering... I started myself way back when fiddling around with the Civ2 editor, but never uploaded anything until after I became a CFC member following the release of Civ IV.)

Actually, I'd love to see a working version of Eivind's Mafia scenario...
It's up. You can download it here. Labels.txt in the conversion caused a CTD. Turned out Eivind messed up the file, deleting a line. Dunno what effect this has in the MGE version.

Also uploaded a graphics modpack for 2194 Days of War. You can grab that here.

Wow! Cool.:goodjob: (I didn't think you'd take it on, as it uses a number of custom units, I seem to recall.)

If I may make another suggestion: I uploaded brison's excellent Milennium4 scenario to the new Civ2 database. However, it contains a bug/error, making it impossible to complete the scenario (it crashes between turns 70 and 105, depending on what civ you play). As I cannot debug it, I've no idea how to find what causes the error. (I sent him an e-mail, but the address in the readme file gives no reply.)

What's the suggestion? :p Actually, Techumseh is still active at Apolyton. You could always PM him there. Saves me looking at it. ;) However, a quick scan of the rules file revealed two units with 0 HP: VirTaGos 6 and Humani Ultima. That's a big no-no. It'll cause a CTD whenever either is involved in combat. Change their HP to 1; 0 FP is OK.

Top Bottom