Me (babylon) vs warmonger Japan

Too Ton

Chieftain
So I'm against a human friend (Japan) who has now mostly conquered an ai called, "Mongol". Mongolia still has some small cities but is mostly out of the game. Now it's only me left to stop my friend (Japan). As babylon, I have focused on mainly research and money throughout the game. (I'm new, only second day playing to his year of playing).

His warmongering basically was successful. It didn't matter all the ai hated him as he took them down one city at a time (one war at a time). In the end, his large amount of military and citites led him to have lots of gold, equal my passive babylon city in science, AND have enough military after healing to begin closing in on me.

How do I counter him at this point? Or is the game mostly up. I am only in the renaissance era and we are equal in tech. :(

If he's only on your level tech-wise, get a strong army asap and kill him. Until Airplanes/nukes come into the game, you can easily win Wars against the AI almost no matter how large their empire is, as long as they're not far above you in tech. Focus your attack on an area where you can defend your units, use many ranged units yourself (and a few melees as blocker), then see who he basically wastes his army into your units. If you don't stop him now, you're not going to stop him, ever.

/edit: Meh, sorry. Didn't realize you're playing against a human player. x.x Stupid me.

Sounds like a lost cause, simply because he can massively outproduce you. Not surprising, since civ is a very complex game and you are new to it.

I would suggest that you play as a team in a new game vs the AI, maybe on emperor level.
You share a field of view and your friend can give you tips, explain stuff etc, works best when you have teamspeak or similar.

I would doubt he equals you in techs(don't confuse with science output). Each city you own adds %5 to the tech cost. If you've been playing Babylon correctly you'll massively out-tech him. Without a save-file it's hard to advise further.
Playing as Babylon you should be achieving Plastics around turn 220(standard speed). When you do you can build infantry which compared to the units before it are hard as nails. From Plastics it's a short jump to Telecommunications where you can build the Nuclear Sub which can 1 shot any naval unit that precedes it(In fact only the Missile Cruiser is after the Nuclear sub). With Babylon all this can be done whilst most of the world is still in the Industrial era.

Babylon is all about generating great scientists and bulling them fairly quickly so you can get to Scientific Theory and then Plastics as early as possible. You don't want Art's funding passed, although passing Science Funding isn't necessary(just propose it so Art's funding can't be proposed). As the tech leader you'll be a target for spying so stick spys in all your cities so they level up, once at level 3 you can start couping CS. As the bpt leader you'll be a target for RA and thusly DOF, just don't waste your gold on RA

He does equal me in techs. (around 30-33, I have 33 and do not know exactly how much he has) I have crossbowmen, he has crossbowmen. I have trebuchet, he has trebuchet. (but more of each) I feel that since he conquered so many cities, it will be almost impossible to win.

My best advice would be don't use melee units.

He clearly just knows how to play better than you do. You should check out the "Civ 5 - War Academy" above for strategies on how to play. If played well, you should have a tech lead if he focused on warmongering, allowing you some advantages when he turns on you, but being new, that likely isn't happening and he is probably enjoying seeing you squirm for what you know is coming.

bribe the other AIs to fight him and then enter the frey once he's started on them

Okay for next time (I looked at guides now and now I know to go for traditional, small city that has huge population thing) what should I do? How do I stop him in military if Babylon is meant for science? (AI didn't help as he could just kill them then go for me) Or I can just learn from experience and challenge him again when I've trained for a few days

Train up. As far as military might goes, there is not much difference in most the civ's. They will also find different times when they are most powerful in military due to unique units. Babylons advantage comes in the beginning. They have the advantage of a huge tech lead early on by beelining to the library, and planting your first scientist. After that, beeline to crossbows after a couple luxury techs. You'll get crossbows sooner than he, and be ready to rumble.

Otherwise, take the tech advantage and quietly build an army. If you built your empire strong, you should be able to hold him off. The longer he waits to attack you, the bigger of a tech lead you should have, and can crush him with that advantage. Of course his experience is likely going to still carry him to victory, but if you learn enough here, you may crush him instead.

Top Bottom