Me needs help

Artillery

Vittu kun vituttaa
I'm a noob who recently jumped up to warlord,and hasn't yet been able to kick :spank: the AI's A55.So i started a new game as random civ and i started as the greeks.Right now i have a situation and need some help to solve it,if i try solving it myself i lose just like i always have lost when playing on warlord :cry:
So look at the screenie.The russians and the japanese both have a tech lead of 3-4 techs.I first met the russians and they had a lead of 6 techs.i traded alphabet and 36 gold for warrior code and masonry so i could kill those SOBs with archers,2 turns later i found the japs.I traded alphabet for ceremonial burial and all of their gold (10).I also found out that japs had communications with the babs so, if i go to war they'll propably ally against me and they kill me in a matter of seconds.If i keep on expanding the expansionist russians will hog all available territory for settling.So please :help:

Attachments

• nimetön.jpg
    nimetön.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 656
Okay, here's a couple of simple things:
- Build more Workers!!! :eek:
- Cut down at least one of the grassland-forests at Athens to allow that city to grow faster (and therefore produce settlers faster).
- Build more terrain improvements! You've got a lake there at Athens, so you've got easy access to irrigation around your capital (which you can extend out to your other cities). Build mines, irrigation, roads, whatever - it doesn't really matter too much, just GET THAT TERRAIN IMPROVED!!!

That should be enough to get you started. ;)

Settle your next city 1SE of where the archer is standing right now - that way, those two cities can share the two cows in the middle. Also, it looks like your capital has been 'stuck' on producing settlers - if the settler is going to reach 30 shields before the city reaches pop 3, build something else first. You definitely need to explore more - a couple of early warriors would've done the trick, you would have met the AIs earlier, and been able to do some tech brokering to stay even/get ahead. And yeah, build more workers/improve more terrain.

Today is my lucky day!See that german warrior. the japs and babs didn't see it yet so i sold contact with the germans to the babs for Iron working,the wheel and 5 gold!
suckers....hehehe.....
and i sold contact with the japs to the germans for horseback riding and 10 gold. :) :lol: :lol:
I settled a city 1 tile SE form the archer and built 3 new workers

Attachments

• nimetön.jpg
    nimetön.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 578
Are you getting Literature first? Don't build GL, rather as many settlers & workers as possible. 400 shields = 13 settlers (= 20 archers or 13 swords) You can do something with that, and you'll probably lead in techs so GL won't make any good.

Wow, I'm the first to say that!

My suggestion:

Less troops. Why archers? Wars in the Ancient Age can ruin your whole game. Concentrate on defensive units (your UU - Hoplite is great, you don't have to upgrade until Musketman, use this advantage), expand with settlers and improve your terrain with workers.

Expansion: Go ASAP to the left before other civs have settled there. If your country is just a coastline-nation you will be extremely vulnerable, 'cause one lost city will cut your nation in half.

I'm not going for the GL (4 rules of wonder addiction) i'm getting literature for libraries

What's your question? :confused:

- As a general rule of thumb, always irrigate plains squares where possible
- Keep pumping out Settlers from your capital and expand your borders until there's no immediate space left
- Don't worry about their tech lead, you'll catch up by the Medieval Age
- As your tech research nears completion (few turns away), check your science rate each turn and see if you can decrease it without losing turns on research time
- There is no point making any military except Warrior until you're done Settling, imo
- Send those warriors to reveal the blackness. Typically by the 3rd city you should have 2 or 3 warriors going out exploring. A Settler should not be heading into black territory, it should have been revealed beforehand! When a Settler is produced you should already know where it is gonna go and build a city
- Consider Temples as your first city improvement (except in capital), to expand your borders quick

I found the germans from the north so i'll keep expanding to west
And i'm using temples to prebuild libraries.

Attachments

• nimetön.jpg
    nimetön.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 549
Shujaa said:
There is no point making any military except Warrior until you're done Settling, imo
- Send those warriors to reveal the blackness. Typically by the 3rd city you should have 2 or 3 warriors going out exploring. A Settler should not be heading into black territory, it should have been revealed beforehand! When a Settler is produced you should already know where it is gonna go and build a city

Take a look at the first screenshot, hardly any territory explored; I bet Artillery built Phalanx first to defend Athens (which you appear to have then sent exploring!). That would lose a lot of time for exploring/contacting/tech trading which is why he got behind in tech so quick (it is only warlord after all). On Warlord build 2 Warriors for scouts and 1 for defence straight off. The AI are not going to be aggressive enough to justify all that time spent phalanx building. Then go to settler mode (I note small map size so the time preparing Settler Factory would probably not be justified). You can wait till all land is filled before building a phalanx in every city or giving one city a barracks and going for vets. Build a warrior in each new city for defence at first, that will keep AI off your back and they have silly (200%?) bonus against barbs.

I also notice Athens is completely undefended at the stage where you have a 2nd city, this is asking for trouble even on Warlord.

brennan said:
I also notice Athens is completely undefended at the stage where you have a 2nd city, this is asking for trouble even on Warlord.

Take it from me, you are totally right, my capital was undefended and a german spearman came in and took it. :rolleyes:

brennan said:
Is this really that bad? I suppose, on Warlord it is. When you get higher in difficulty, since you're so small (2 cities), the AI will ignore you. Funny how a lower difficulty level can be damaging. :lol:

I wouldn't be worried about any culture buildings at this point. I would be building settlers and workers first. I would make a public works project to irrigate all those cows asap. Are you mining a hill in despotism? When the land was used up, or a bit before, I would connect some iron, make about 10 swordsmen and go bonk some heads. It looks like russia is sitting on your horses and your silks. You city placement is also a bit too far apart.

Irrigate plains, mine grass, leave forest on permafrost. If you are selling or trading tech and the AI would give you more gold for it if it could.. Give it enough gold that you think it would be willing to pay and then make the trade. You get your money back and the AI is more grateful towards you.

I'd have built corinth on the bottom gem resource. Access to water plus gold bonuses do get added to city base production (unlike shield or food) and you would have had the fish resource in city limits..eventually.

I'd maybe spin off a settler and worker or two first but culture is important to get for border towns. I just looked it up, greeks are scientific. So wait to build culture till you can get libraries. Even then only in select cities at first, the ones where you really need to expand culture or border cities plus every few cities, the expanding culture of one will expand the borders of nearby cities as well. In the mean time use the sliders to keep your population happy. Plus build a road asap connecting all your cities to your gem supply.

Tomoyo said:
Is this really that bad? I suppose, on Warlord it is. When you get higher in difficulty, since you're so small (2 cities), the AI will ignore you. Funny how a lower difficulty level can be damaging. :lol:
Weird!!! :crazyeye: :lol:

Tomoyo said:

Im playing in Regent a Cult game with 2 cities, everybody pretends im not there and that is a big space of mountains :crazyeye:

Oh thermopyla should start work on a temple or other culture right away. You want that silk.(its a rare resource bonus) I suppose you could just battle that civ for it. Another option is to tuck a second city right next to the silk which would claim the silk. (unless the AI's culture took it over, garrison those border cities)

Top Bottom