Meaning of "ally" in Gilgamesh's "Adventures with Enkidu" ability?

megabearsfan

Prince
I have a few questions about the unique abilities of Sumeria and Gilgamesh that I haven't been able to reliably test. I'm hoping someone in the community knows the answers.

The basic question comes down to: with respect to the "Adventures With Enkidu" ability, does the work "ally" | "allies" refer to formal allies? Or does it refer to other players who are at war with a common foe of Gilgamesh? I've noticed that players seem to share exp whenever Sumeria fights against barbs, so I kind of lean towards the latter, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure.

The exact text of the ability is:
May declare war on anyone at war with their allies without warmonger penalties. When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains if within 5 tiles.

Specific scenarios I'm wondering about:

1.) Does Gilgamesh only avoid warmonger penalties if declaring war against someone who is at war with a formal "ally" (e.g. a civ with whom Sumeria has an Alliance treaty)? Or does this apply to declarations of friendship? The ability description is ambiguous because there is a formal "ally" status in the game, but the ability description also uses the term in context of "at war with a common foe".

2.) Do suzerain city states count as "allies"? So if another player declares war on Gilgamesh's suzerain, can Gilgamesh declare war on that civ without warmonger penalties?

3.) Is experience shared with anybody who is at war with a common foe of Gilgamesh? Or does this specifically require a Joint War.

4.) Does Gilgamesh share exp with civs who he is at war with, if that civ is also at war with a common foe?
4.a.) If Gilgamesh is invading, say Rome's land, and a barb shows up. If Gilgamesh kills that barb near Roman units, do nearby Roman units share exp?
4.b.) In the case of a triangular war (say, Gilgamesh is at war with Rome and Egypt, and Rome and Egypt are at war with each other), does Gilgamesh share exp with its enemies? So if Gilgamesh kills an Egyptian unit in Roman territory, do nearby Roman units get experience? If Gilgamesh pillages a Roman improvement, does egypt get pillage rewards? Even though both Egypt and Rome are at war with Gilgamesh.

I'm pretty sure that it all just applies to civs who are "at war with a common foe", but I just want to clarify that my understanding is correct.

Lastly, question 5.) If Gilgamesh has levied a CS' units, and then Gilgamesh loses suzerain status of that CS, do the levied units revert to the CS' control? I'm assuming YES, but I haven't actually had it happen yet to verify.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about many things, but I'd guess his abilities should work in a Joint War or if they're declared friends about him. 3-way wars hardly seem to qualify as allies too, so I'd rule it out. Maybe the best way to verify that is a MP game.

About 5, I believe they do revert to the CS control, since that's what happens normally. IIRC, Gilgamesh only gets them at a discount.

Regarding Q2 above, I thought suzerain status meant that you could declare a war of liberation or protection with no warmonger penalty.

Regarding Q2 above, I thought suzerain status meant that you could declare a war of liberation or protection with no warmonger penalty.

True, but only if you've gotten far enough into the civic tree to unlock that particular casus beli. If Suzerains count as "allies" for Gilgamesh, then he'd be able to fight "wars of Protection" from the beginning of the game.

True, but only if you've gotten far enough into the civic tree to unlock that particular casus beli. If Suzerains count as "allies" for Gilgamesh, then he'd be able to fight "wars of Protection" from the beginning of the game.

Not really. If you declare war while suzerain of a CS, the CS also declares war against your enemy, thus the bonus experience still applies (if suzerain status counts as alliance).

I don't know what happens if a civ declares war on a CS, then you declare war against the aggressor.

I wish we could get a definitive answer. I'm highly suspect of what is going on when I am playing against an AI Sumeria, we go to war and he appears to be getting all of my combat XP for his units. This definitely should not be happening, but the floating text seems to indicate that it does, indeed, happen.

I played a game as someone, can't remember who, but I do remember China had been pushing my CS friend Brussels around, and ended up declaring war on them. I was able to declare war on China with no penalty from the Causus Belli menu in the diplomacy screen. It was under the title "Protectorate War" or something like that.
Sorry if this sounds a little hazy but it was before Christmas last year and the details are a little fuzzy.

I wasn't playing Sumeria, I remember that. I might have been playing Germany.

Top Bottom