Meaningful Colours

adan_eslavo

Archmage of all Pixels
Supporter
MEANINGFUL COLOURS

@Sylvestrina made on Steam awesome mod. I did little modification and some fixes. It's main task is group city states into 5 types and assign similar colour group to them:
  • :c5food: Maritime: Green ~ Teal
  • :c5culture: Cultured: Pink ~ Violet
  • :c5gold: Mercantile: Yellow ~ Orange
  • :c5war: Militaristic: Red ~ Brown
  • :c5faith: Religious: White + Blue ~ Grey
@ryanmusante merged this mod with "Redesigned Colours and Icons". With his help we've created big colour overhaul. DELETED

Additionally, this mod is compatible with new CSs added in Unique City-States mod by @Enginseer

Download Meaningful Colours (v16)

Comparison of few City-States of the same type:
upload_2018-9-20_21-24-54.jpeg

Current colour palette:
2024-01-06_15h47_40.png

Last edited:
@ryanmusante Updated main post. Added info about your modmodmod and some screens. Works well with my bunch of mods.

I always use 5th or 4th part as dependency cos there are 3 versions of 6th part.

Last edited:
@adan_eslavo This is updated mod with some fixes to the XML.
  • Changed order of loading to make default civilizations load first and city-states to load second.
  • Removed a few errors in the xml formatting to ensure stability.
  • Manually merged rather than using modtools for accuracy.

Attachments

• UI - Meaningful Colors and CS (v 3).zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Ok I will use this version for my further work, change name of the source and publish it instead of base version, so only one link (with both mods merged) would be present instead of 2 separate. Is that ok with you @ryanmusante? Later on we could do some coding to turn on/off parts of mod.

Ok I will use this version for my further work, change name of the source and publish it instead of base version, so only one link (with both mods merged) would be present instead of 2 separate. Is that ok with you @ryanmusante? Later on we could do some coding to turn on/off parts of mod.
Yes, that sounds good. I trust whatever ideas you have. I prefer merged mods vice several individuals.

Extract this updated modinfo into your overlay compendium. I restructured the loading of the files because modtools had it a bit randomized at parts.

Attachments

• UI - Overlay Compendium (v 2).modinfo.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I published v4.
  • renamed mod to "Meaningful Colours". Just that. Simple.
  • added UCS compatibility file.
  • recoloured 3 mercantile CSs: Tyre, Cahokia and Antwerp. They are now more orange coloured.
  • re-added .odt file which dissapeared during merges. Cleaned it and posted it's screen on main page.
  • substituted one screen to show new CSs from UCS.

There's a Gift Gold where we can't gift gold to them anymore...

Fresh v5 version adapted to 10 new CSs from @Enginseer's Unique City-States mod.

Ive already deleted old vanilla stuff and put all new Vp aspects to the ui in city-state leaders, so after release it should be fully compatible with vp and ucs.

Ive already deleted old vanilla stuff and put all new Vp aspects to the ui in city-state leaders, so after release it should be fully compatible with vp and ucs.
I'm curious how you decided on the color palette shades and particular choice for each city state. I.e. Zurich is yellow, Colombo is orange.

Edit: added spoiler
Spoiler CO :

Last edited:
Hehe, lucky shot.

v6 with small change of colours for 2 Militaristic CSs.

@ryanmusante I have strange glitch. When I load mods (only VP and MC) first civ that is chosen by default by the game in start game options menu has colours reset to default. Glitch stays after starting the game. But, when I enter menu to choose civs, everything looks good. Do you have the same?
upload_2018-10-1_18-46-47.png

upload_2018-10-1_18-47-5.png

@ryanmusante I have strange glitch. When I load mods (only VP and MC) first civ that is chosen by default by the game in start game options menu has colours reset to default. Glitch stays after starting the game. But, when I enter menu to choose civs, everything looks good. Do you have the same? View attachment 505110

View attachment 505111
I will test it tonight. Is it possible that the dds files are clashing during load order? I only merged xml. The iconatlas files in /Icons/ need to be looked at.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that when you start game colours for that one civ are default (I tested morocco and austria), but if you open IGE menu colours are set to those from mod. If you close IGE then the6 are again reset. CSs colours and all other nations are good. Then when you play few turns (until autosave?) start game options are overwritten and new civ is set as default after opening menu before new game and problem moves on to that new civ.

So far I always had set random civ as defaut. I noticed it when Austria was set instead default after playing couple of turns during CSL marriage playtesting.

Last edited:
So far I always had set random civ as defaut. I noticed it when Austria was set instead default after playing couple of turns during CSL marriage playtesting.
I tested again with my saved game and with a new game and don't see it. I have it set to load after (6A). I checked Steam original meaningful colors, the only add was XML, no DDS files.

So the problem is occuring somewhere within either Colors.xml, MinorCivs.xml or PlayerColors.xml. The merger has 2 different kinds of XML entries. So, would that make any difference or possibly clash? If so, for uniformity, I can change all of them to one standard. One uses <Row> </Row> for entries, the other uses UPDATE, SET and WHERE.

You said you tried with ONLY VP+MC. I am still using version 4 without the added compatiblity for UCS that was put in version 5+6. What difference is there in it?

MC MOD [original] : PlayerColors.xml
Code:
        <Row>
            <Type>PLAYERCOLOR_MINOR_ALMATY</Type>
            <PrimaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_MINOR_ICON</PrimaryColor>
            <SecondaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_MINOR_ALMATY</SecondaryColor>
            <TextColor>COLOR_PLAYER_PEACH_TEXT</TextColor>
        </Row>
RCI MOD[original] : PlayerColors.xml
Code:
        <Update>
            <Set PrimaryColor="NEW_COLOR_PLAYER_AMERICA_ICON"/>
            <Where Type="PLAYERCOLOR_AMERICA"/>
        </Update>
MC MOD[original] : MinorCivs.xml
Code:
        <Update>
            <Where Type="MINOR_CIV_ALMATY"/>
            <Set>
        <DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_MINOR_ALMATY</DefaultPlayerColor>
            </Set>
        </Update>

Last edited:
I added separate sql files and art. Nothing thatcould interfere with old xmls. I use 6a too but load order do not help. Im curious why such glitch happens. There are no errors. Only lua throws line
Code:
Smth like: selected civilization [none]
the craziest thing is that mod loads, colors are set but somehow reset for that one particular civ from start.

Try v6 if you can.

Maybe make such change (row row) if you can and I will test it out after work (5 hrs).

I added separate sql files and art. Nothing thatcould interfere with old xmls. I use 6a too but load order do not help. Im curious why such glitch happens. There are no errors. Only lua throws line
Code:
Smth like: selected civilization [none]
the craziest thing is that mod loads, colors are set but somehow reset for that one particular civ from start.
Try v6 if you can.
I will try v6. Also I'd like to have the same code formatting throughout. Do these files have to be xml? If I convert them to sql, would it work in the game? Do you have other ideas for why it's bugged? I'm not an expert.

Top Bottom