Meantime Micro - Mafia Victory!

Bianca's Fake Claim Rube Goldberged town staying in the game

Now don't get me wrong, you seriously don't claim a PR in the middle of the night, especially in that situation: it's generally better for town to say silent because it's better for mafia to follow the same pattern that mafia does

So before Bianca's claim the actions set were:

Syn: Shoot TS
Ran: Protect self
Mafia: Not set, but definetely a kill on Synsensa which would make Ran's protection irrelevant

Now this series of actions leads to a 2v2, and a town loss everytime

However, as soon as Bianca claimed we see the actions shift to

Syn: Shoot TS
Ran: Protect self
Mafia: Kill Syn, Roleblock Bianca

This situation, of course, still ends with a town loss at day start, however Ran being counterclaimed by Bianca was inevitible and did occur

Now let me explain why Ran's counterclaim was inevitible, and, more importantly, why it could not wait until the day cycle: the cost benefit analysis will show that Bianca is far more likely to be mafia fakeclaiming:

With Bianca claiming to be town doctor, as a townie, then the roleblock would go on her: This would allow the doctor to act unimpeded, and more importantly, gain town a miselim in conjunction with Synsensa's vig shot (note that a Syn fakeclaim is not a strong possibility here from a neutral pov), whether or not it hits town.. However, given that it's 4v2, mafia only had a 1/3 chance of blocking Ran anyway, which leads to a 1/3 chance of allowing a protect to go through, on top of a 1/4 chance (I'm probs being generous?)of actually getting the kill target right. Bottom line, less than a 10% chance of town gaining a miselim.

However, Ran couldn't wait for day. Why? because fakeclaiming as mafia is so much better: If Bianca is mafia she moves the chances of mafia being hit from 40% to 25%, which leads to an increase of 15% of winning the game on that day then and there.

Of course, both of these scenarios rely on the real doc not claiming, but it's so much better for mafia to fakeclaim in the middle of the night

However, Ran's CC causes mafia to split the roleblock and the kill between Bianca and Ran, and bam! Ran gets that protection on herself that she and town need to continue the game. If it's split the other way then Syn and maf have their kills cross

I know it's kind of silly not wanting to switch but this forum has been part of my life for 10 years. Mafia for a little less than that... (8?)

Ace's selfvote was justified given Marcher's claim and the vote distribution at the time I feel (though I think the optimal play when you believe Marcher is still voting Bianca)

I said a few things about standard stuff this game in obs, probs the most major one was allowing mafia to do multiple actions at once. Not gonna beat a dead horse repeating my reasoning here.

I wanted to make this setup for two reasons
1. I wanted to have a 9er without a cop
2. I felt like the dynamics of a one-shot vig and doc, with regards to town gaining clears and a possible additional miselim was interesting and roughly balanced to what a 9 player cop game would be

Actions:

Night One
Synsensa: Shoot LordArgon, blocked
Ranmilia: Protect Marcher Jovian
Mafia Kill: On Timsup2nothin
Marcher Jovian: Roleblock Synsensa

Night Two
Synsensa: Shoot Biancasbotique, successful
Ranmilia: Protect self, successful
Mafia Kill: Ranmilia, failed
Marcher Jovian: Roleblock Biancasbotique

Night Three
Ranmilia: Protect Marcher Jovian
Marcher Jovian: Kill Synsensa, choose to withhold roleblocking

Last edited:
@dolby, but then again I did confirm to everyone that I am fakeclaiming before night is over. Did it make a difference?
You actually did make a difference: while it was mainly motivated by Marcher and Tak not thinking that Ran could self-heal, they decided to keep their block on you in the event that Ran claiming was an ploy to keep the real doc hidden at the moment and you were the real doc going along with it

You actually did make a difference: while it was mainly motivated by Marcher and Tak not thinking that Ran could self-heal, they decided to keep their block on you in the event that Ran claiming was an ploy to keep the real doc hidden at the moment and you were the real doc going along with it

oh ok..i was like wth did they roleblock me and kill ran when i told everyone already im just vanilla townie haha

Got lucky with town just letting a /shrug/ chop go through on LA. He was looking incredibly townie from my PoV and I was surprised how people just went along with it.
This is exactly how I felt on D1 of the last large game. He was my biggest townread behind Rhand

And about doc being able to self-protect, felt that not allowing self-protections in a 9er was actually pretty inhibiting

Well in case you can't tell, our site meta for town wins are...

Consistent.

Consistently non-existent. :lol:

It's a team effort too. :p

And about doc being able to self-protect, felt that not allowing self-protections in a 9er was actually pretty inhibiting
I agree.

I do feel though that Bianca's death taking away an accounted roleblock gave a large amount of legitimacy to MJs claim. The instant he claimed RBed I thought "this game's over"

Literally the only time town has won on here I was mafia
:lol:

Maybe we can change that in Rask's game.

Actually considering games are typically too townsided I feel happy that our games are theoretically balanced.

I do feel though that Bianca's death taking away an accounted roleblock gave a large amount of legitimacy to MJs claim. The instant he claimed RBed I thought "this game's over"
It baffled me. Why wouldn't they roleblock the doctor?

Because they didn't know if they could believe Bianca that's why!

Top Bottom