1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Measuring the success of BE

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by mike20599, Nov 26, 2015.

1. kipwheeler

kipwheeler Warlord

It might be of interest to you that, apparently when they first were designing the alien biomes (from my understanding), the designers initially tried to move away from standards like green colors for lush areas, and so forth, and they did initially try to make the worlds more alien than the final version, but it turned out that most of the early players seemed to have trouble with that. It became counter-intuitive to players, and slowed down their gameplay as they tried to remember what sort of terrain did that. So, they ended up pushing the terrains to be a bit more recognizable. I'm not saying that's a good choice or a bad choice, but I do understand why they did that.

Like you, I played a lot of Civ 2 and Civ 4 and enjoyed them, but never tried Civ 5. I'm fond of Beyond Earth, but I'd give it a "B-" in terms of how it came out--fun enough to play, but not quite living up to my imagination as fully as it might. I'd love and buy another expansion if they made it, but I'm not sure if their design planners are going to build such a thing.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

It sort of makes sense thematically as well; as a species that evolved in a blue-green world it's only natural we'd prefer worlds with a similar color palette (also depending on as-yet unknown answers to questions in the fields of biology, cosmology, etc. it may be that planets with the capacity to support complex life are generally blue-green).

3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Yeah, I specifically remember an article way back where the devs confirm this. Psychologically, we recognize certain colors (green is grassland = good for food, yellow is desert = bad for food). If you change it where maybe on this alien planet, yellow is actually lush terrain with lots of food, it makes things less intuitive for the player. And the bottom line is that every good game needs to be intuitive for the player.

4. gimley_gunner

gimley_gunner Chieftain

For myself I've enjoyed my time with Civ:BE more than I have with civ 3, civ 4 or civ 5. Never played Civ 2 and would say i've enjoyed it as much as Civ 1 all those years ago.

I would have got Rising Tide except I unfortunately got Civ 5 complete last year instead and 20 hours of that persuaded me how meh and tired that title and the franchise as a whole is. That's my opinion and your millage may vary but there are other strategy games available eg Paradox, Egosoft, Creative Assembly etc

For me Civ works more successfully in a sci fi rather than a historical setting. Civ:BE is lacking in comparison to the more fleshed out atmosphere of Alpha Centauri though.