1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanics of culture victory?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by player1 fanatic, Nov 7, 2016.

1. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

How does it work?

Games is very vague about this. Only info given is that player needs to have good culture and tourism output. But there is no explanation how are local and visiting tourists calculated?

2. nadeem

nadeem Chieftain

Super vague... kinda makes culture victory a bit uninteresting. You just keep accumulating tourism, and then suddenly its enough! Woo! You win!

Kinda unfortunate culture/tourism don't matter for other things like they did in Civ5... but i guess that was after 2 expansions, and this game just came out!

3. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

But how does culture matter and how does tourism matter, in regard to number of local and visiting tourists?

For example, will getting policy for better culture make me closer to culture victory or not?

4. narmox

narmox Emperor

As far as I can tell, culture attracts domestic tourism, Tourism attracts foreign tourists.

To win, you need to attract foreign tourism so a high Tourism output. To avoid losing to someone else having high tourism, you need a high Culture output so that their goal keeps going up. This is because winning is described as having more foreign tourists than the highest amount of domestic tourism in a foreign civ (hope that's not too hard to parse!).

Let's say for example that the 2 cultural leaders, Civ A and Civ B, have:

Civ A: 200 domestic tourists
    Civ B: 150 domestic tourists.

And every other civ has fewer domestic tourists than 150, so they don't matter ;)

To win, Civ A will need 151 foreign tourists, in order to beat Civ B (and all others). To win, every other civ indlucing Civ B will need 201 foreign tourists, to beat Civ A.

How are the numbers of foreign and domestic tourists calculated in relation to culture output and tourism output? That's just anyone's guess LOL

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Actually, I think your number of foreign tourists needs to be bigger than THE SUM of all the other players domestic tourists, if I'm not mistaken.

But yes, information is totally missing on how this is calculated. Civ5 system was rather transparent in comparison.

6. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

A friend of mine just finished 2 games. First one, he went for science, and before finishing, he got a culture victory. He didnt go for it at any moment. Second game, he went for domination. And again, before achieving it, culture victory. He has no idea what's happening, he isnt going for tourism at all

7. narmox

narmox Emperor

Untrue. The total number of foreign tourists coming from all other civilizations in the game, to your civ, must be greater than the amount of domestic tourist in the leading foreign civilization.

I'll let the game and the numbers speak for themselves:
    Spoiler :

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 8.16.22 PM.png

8. narmox

narmox Emperor

I think that happens when you play with the Civ5 habit of building _everything_ that you can build - ie building theatre districts everywhere, wonders that help with tourism, etc, and distracting from the space race or domination. of course when playing domination you end up also conquering all those relics and great works and districts that boost your tourism, and you can end up accidentally winning a culture victory or accidentally letting your oponent win a religious victory if you don't conquer civs in the right order!

9. Wr4ith

Wr4ith Chieftain