Mechanos seem really, really powerful

Lemminkäinen

Warlord
Just had an Emperor game as Mechanos. Had absolutely zero problems all game except for the blizzards from the Frozen making all my lands snow. Luckily I had Techpriests at this moment, so all it took was a lot of microing to get over the hassle. I also amassed my stack of doom to go kill the Frozen. This stack of doom had proven itself against Lanun already and I was going to conquer Hippus with it as well. What was in that stack?

Seven Organ guns, three Adepti, three Axemen. That's it. The Organ guns obliterated everything. After a single volley, the Frozen capital with their hugely powerful hero and a defensive stack featuring Champions and Ice Golems and bigger than my attacking force was reduced to smithereens. Sure, the mop up took three turns as I had so few attackers, but the Organ guns made everything silly easy.

tl;dr: Organ guns' ranged attack seems extremely overpowered.

Edit: they were a very fun civ to play, mind you :)

Heh, Emperor is too weak to compare nations.

Currently Deity is a mediocre game difficulty to test races. I win any game with D'Tesh, Illians, Frozen, Scions. These were my latest games.

Heh, Emperor is too weak to compare nations.
I'm not sure that difficulty made an impact here. If a smaller stack of less-advanced units can easily obliterate a bigger stack of more advanced units without using superior tactics, then something is amiss. I just walked right up to their city getting hammered by the cold damage and then ranged attacked with all of the guns. The city's defenders were in no shape to counter attack after that (well, the hero could've probably killed one Axeman of mine) and next round another volley and mop up.

The damage cap seems to be very high for the collateral damage doing ranged attacks of the Organ guns. Or there is no cap (I think I completely killed off some of the defenders when fighting Lanun but it was harder to know with the Frozen as they got so many new units per turn to that city).

One question; How many Refined Mana did you have? Organ Guns (and a few other Mechanos units, like the Zeppelin or Goliath) have a ranged affinity. ;)
Four? Three or four, but I think four at that point.

That kinda explains a lot. But the fact remains, that their ranged damage is really, really big (and they get experience really fast from it as well - all of the guns had Siege Combat 4 or 5).

Well, you could be attacked by archers from the city first. On Deity AI has from 5 to 15 archers in a city during war, so you can't take it easily.

Not quite. You can range attack after moving, so he could still hit the archers before they could hit him.

That's what drill IV is for :).

And horses. Just sit in the city and wait for the death is... wrong. Current AI is not good at it, but you can do it with any thing, with ring of fire or tsunami for example.

Bright day
It is fault of AI not organ guns really. Or maybe organ guns are faulty because AI cannot deal with them? But then catapults are faulty. If oponent is sitting in city and you have siege weapons is nigh to impossible for you not to take the city in the end. It has been like this since CIV 1.00 where you would attack with nothing but siege weapons.

Top Bottom