1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Media Bias

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SG-17, Oct 23, 2008.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/22/study-shows-mccain-media-coverage-negative/

2. Till

Till Adventurer

For the bias argument to be valid, both campaigns would have to be equivalent and that's just not the case.
    McCain's campaign is far more aggressive and negative than Obama's and hence far more likely to attract negative attention. That's not bias in favour of a candidate, but bias towards reality, which is a good thing i hope you'll agree.
    There still might be media bias towards a candidate, but it cannot be detected with this report - as the authors themselves acknowledged.

3. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

McCain's campaign is entirely negative, and there are more substantiated bad things to say about him. Even so, a lot of the nastier things that could be said, aren't being said. It's really not a valid comparison.

Edit: What he said, basically.

4. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

For anybody to claim that NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN don't present their coverage favorable to Obama is just a stupid as somebody claiming Fox or most talk radio don't cover McCain more favorably. Of course there is bias.

5. knowltok2

knowltok2 Deity

I work with someone who lumped Fox in with 'the liberal media'.

6. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

Why is it that every time somebody complains about Foxnews' blatant bias somebody else has to point out that other news stations are biased too? Of course theres going to bias. American news channels are a joke, everyone knows that. It's just that Foxnews is so blatantly biased that they are the funniest joke of all.

7. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

This doesn't really show "bias" at all. The media cover elections like horseraces, and so if someone's "losing," it's a "negative" story. And since this election isn't particularly close, the "negative" stories are going to be tilted towards the person trailing in the polls. Pointing out the fact that McCain is trailing in polls isn't "bias."

Moreover, regarding Palin's "negative" treatment -- I'm sorry, but when a vice-presidential candidate can't string a sentence together while being interviewed by Katie Couric, it's not biased to report that she couldn't string a sentence together while being interviewed by Katie Couric.

Cleo

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

The McCain campaign should give them something positive to report. With the VP candidate swinging and missing at softballs tossed by Katie Couric and 3rd graders, I'm suprised that the reporting isn't even more negative.

9. Zulu Impi

Zulu Impi Warlord

This is news? I agree with shekwan our news absolutely sucks!

10. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Bias is, quite frankly, utterly irrelevant. The search for "objective" or sensationalist news is one of the major problems with news today. I want more Hunter S. Thompsons, Downtowns, and Federalist Papers. Freedom of the Press was meant to enliven opinionated newspapers.

News striving for "balance" is what allows complete kooks to have "equal time" in crap, like creationists.

With that said, reality is biased against John McCain's campaign this year.

11. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I agree. Basically I don't want to have 50% positive stories about the neo-nazi campaign in the media.

12. knowltok2

knowltok2 Deity

Unless of course it is that they are positively losing!

13. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Emperor

I find it ironic where this story is coming from.

14. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

At least he gets coverage that doesn't involve the reporter calling him "quixotic" or "fringe".

I'd say the media is biased in favour of the government.

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

i might just have to steal that quote.... :mischief:

16. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

This about covers it. Really I'm hardpressed to figure out the other 43% of McCain campaign coverage. What have they done in the last many weeks to merit that much non-negative press?

17. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Which is a relatively new thing and disastrous to media. That's a far more significant worry than whatever mere political opinion a source might be, because one of the major points of the media is to be a check on the government. Whistleblowing, etc.

18. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

reporting on the economy is negative reporting using the logic of the article.

19. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

Of course. But there is a difference between latent bias and overt propaganda. And the mere implication that Fox/Talk radio and the rest of the media are simply two sides of the same coin as far as bias goes is about as far from reality as you can get. Equating them together is the height of dishonesty. (Unless of course someone just doesn't know better...in which case they need some help.)

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Conservatives attack the media because an accurate media makes them look bad.