Media Bias

For anybody to claim that NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN don't present their coverage favorable to Obama is just a stupid as somebody claiming Fox or most talk radio don't cover McCain more favorably. Of course there is bias.

As till said:

Till said:
For the bias argument to be valid, both campaigns would have to be equivalent and that's just not the case.
McCain's campaign is far more aggressive and negative than Obama's and hence far more likely to attract negative attention. That's not bias in favour of a candidate, but bias towards reality, which is a good thing I hope you'll agree.
There still might be media bias towards a candidate, but it cannot be detected with this report - as the authors themselves acknowledged.

I disagree with there being a bias toward reality. I think the bias is firstly toward whatever makes them the most money, secondly toward false neutrality, i.e., "McCain said the sky is green with polka-dots, while Obama said the sky is blue", and thirdly toward. whatever's the easiest thing for the journalist himself to do. But Till's main point, that both campaigns aren't equivalent and therefore will not be covered in equal light, is completely correct. That's especially true this year; McCain's attacks on the media about Palin seemed to have hurt the media's ego, and they seem to be constantly trying to out-do each other as real journalists for once (thus, the polka-dot analogy isn't as valid this election as it usually is).

As till said:

I disagree with there being a bias toward reality. I think the bias is firstly toward whatever makes them the most money, secondly toward false neutrality, i.e., "McCain said the sky is green with polka-dots, while Obama said the sky is blue", and thirdly toward. whatever's the easiest thing for the journalist himself to do. But Till's main point, that both campaigns aren't equivalent and therefore will not be covered in equal light, is completely correct. That's especially true this year; McCain's attacks on the media about Palin seemed to have hurt the media's ego, and they seem to be constantly trying to out-do each other as real journalists for once (thus, the polka-dot analogy isn't as valid this election as it usually is).

The"bias" of the media in the US is toward lazy, cheap, and sensationalist.

McCain's campaign is far more aggressive and negative than Obama's and hence far more likely to attract negative attention. That's not bias in favour of a candidate, but bias towards reality, which is a good thing i hope you'll agree.

Hmm, if this keeps up, I might just have to revise my signature.

Bias is, quite frankly, utterly irrelevant. The search for "objective" or sensationalist news is one of the major problems with news today. I want more Hunter S. Thompsons, Downtowns, and Federalist Papers. Freedom of the Press was meant to enliven opinionated newspapers.

What. He. Said.

you know that when FOX tells you the media is biased, you should TOTALLY believe THEM because they are the ONLY UNbiased media, RIGHT?

For anybody to claim that NBC/CBS/ABC/CNN don't present their coverage favorable to Obama is just a stupid as somebody claiming Fox or most talk radio don't cover McCain more favorably. Of course there is bias.

Why is it a bias for a media outlet to blast McCain for the kind of campaign he's been running? If a President lies us into a war, should the media coverage be 50/50 negative and positive? Yeah, much of the media likes Obama more than McCain, but McCain aint exactly inspiring well wishers with his behavior. I had much more respect for the guy before his campaign... Calling that a bias misses the point - NO ONE should view McCain's campaign as anything more than slander. Of the two, Obama behaves more like an adult should behave. That aint bias, its reality...

Reality has a known liberal bias!

Edit: God dammit EHK.

CNN is the most neutral news network while Fox if the most Conservative

Top Bottom