Media Coverage of the Black Lives Matter Shootings

You know men are all rapists and can't control their sexual urges (we keep hammering this message into you, so you should know by now).
You know there's going to be lots of intoxicated men there, probably looking for a sexual partner.
You choose to go there in revealing clothes, to get intoxicated yourself and make yourselves targets?

As far as I'm concerned, the innocent victim claim is sketchy at best.

I think there are really 2 different issues here:

1.) The "White Supremacists" did go there to cause trouble and they got the trouble they wanted -> That's pretty obvious by now, with the material that is available (assuming the video in the car is really them).

2.) The reaction of BLM to them being there and possibly shouting racist slurs - hitting and chasing them - was still not warranted. Leaving out this part of the story, or even going as far as to say "BLM did nothing wrong!" is just nonsense. It that logic were sound, then in any case where one person provokes another person that other person would have the right to get physical. That's obviously not the case, and the fact that they got physical may or may not have given the "White Supremacists" the legitimization they were looking for.

The only reason 2.) is in the focus is that 1.) is a pretty clear-cut case where everybody agrees that these people were idiots and that the police should investigate, but somehow people don't seem to agree with the 2.) point. Which I just don't understand, because obviously 2.) is the way lesser offense, so there's really no downside to just being honest and saying: "Yeah, they reacted poorly to the people who acted viciously."

You know men are all rapists and can't control their sexual urges (we keep hammering this message into you, so you should know by now).
You know there's going to be lots of intoxicated men there, probably looking for a sexual partner.
You choose to go there in revealing clothes, to get intoxicated yourself and make yourselves targets?

As far as I'm concerned, the innocent victim claim is sketchy at best.

Nice strawman you got there, how long did it take you to construct?

The fact that a victim makes dumb choices does not mitigate their own potential criminal culpability. Unwarranted lethal force is unwarranted lethal force whether it's a potential rape victim or a potential victim of angry protesters.

The fact that a victim makes dumb choices does not mitigate their own potential criminal culpability. Unwarranted lethal force is unwarranted lethal force whether it's a potential rape victim or a potential victim of angry protesters.

I don't know if it was unwarranted or not, just that whether or not it was warranted doesn't really depend on what led up to it. If at that moment they were genuinely in fear for their lives and took some action to defend themselves then the events leading up to the moment don't in any way invalidate the self-defence claim. If you're going to say you "don't buy" the self-defence claim JUST on the basis of their previous actions, then yeah... that would be victim blaming wouldn't it?

Top Bottom