Medic bugged? or just awful documentation?

Cobalt_Blue

Chieftain
The civilopedia for medic simply states that it heals adjacent units.

HOWEVER, it only seems to heal adjacent units that are fortifying.

Bug? Or awful documentation?

I would lean toward bug as that functionality limits medics far too much for them to be useful.

In Civ V, units with the medic promotions only provided additional healing to adjacent units that were otherwise healing on that turn. So, if a unit in an adjacent tile took another action on that turn, and wasn't otherwise healing, the medic unit would do nothing.

I would suspect (without testing it) that medic behavior in Civ VI is similar.

I tried the medic once and he didn't nothing, even passively.

I bet is both a bug and bad documentation.

I haven't felt the need to use a medic yet but i must say i would have expected it to heal units even if they had taken a turn and wouldn't normally be healing, from the description. Having said that though so many items and concepts are so ambiguous that i have started to question everything and test even what seems obvious before taking the information given as fact.

It would seem that many of the descriptions and tool tips appear to be in the initial testing state where they made basic notes to themselves which should have been fleshed out for the actual game release.

I used only medic promotion of apostle, and it seems works pretty weird (pre-patch). It heals only if unit did not moved or attacked (upgrading without moving, promoting without moving, and probably pillaging still make uou eligible for healing), but if it heals it heals effectively "in full". Instead of one time +X, next turn you see string of +X (usually +20) and unit is fully healed. The description says 1 tile radius, but it seems works wider.

It's just like Civ V. You have to be healing already and it will heal an additional amount. You'll see two +life (+25 base +15 medic if I recall).

How about both ...

What a disaster this game was ... did they start developing it ten months ago and then decide to release it no matter what?

...did they start developing it ten months ago and then decide to release it no matter what?
Well... yeah. This is what happens when you announce a release date of October in May and then don't delay when the schedule slips. There was never a software project in the history of the Earth that delivered a finished project on schedule.

Last edited:
I must say that the Medic in its current form is both disappointing and confusing.

Anyone would assume it passively heals adjacent units for a small fixed amount each turn, no matter if the Medic or the adjacent units completed any other actions that turn. This way, it would add a nice layer of tactical gameplay whereby players must consider their unit placement according to the medic, on top of their usual other considerations. That would be great.

But no. It just enhances the heal from Fortifiy, which is utterly useless because if you are gonna heal through Fortify, whether it takes 5 turns or 3 honestly doesn't matter.

If they wanna keep it that way, the Medic should FULLY heal any damaged unit in ONE TURN that is Fortified around it.

Umm, in CiV the medic promotion was fine. Wasn't the best promotion, but wasn't worthless either. 3 fortified units with a medic nearby made for a very, very hard wall to crack.

Umm, in CiV the medic promotion was fine. Wasn't the best promotion, but wasn't worthless either. 3 fortified units with a medic nearby made for a very, very hard wall to crack.

I fully agree with you. In Civ5, it was "fine", "not the best promotion", and indeed you could set up a few fortified units that would be really hard to kill.

But this time around the "Medic" is a unit on its own that you have to produce, and walk to your army. And i think it's a brilliant idea But in my view, these added constraints would justify a stronger version of the promotion (that is now a walking unit).

Also, in Civ5 there used to be a another stronger heal promotion that would heal the unit each turn, no matter what. In Civ6 I have seen that on the Arabian Cavalry so far. So the "Medic" Support Unit could have been designed as such as well, don't you think ?

In the end my point is, no matter the connection we make between the name of the "Medic" unit in Civ6 and the promotion "Medic" in Civ5, I honestly feel it is very useless as it is currently.
I defy anyone to claim they took an enemy town thanks to that clutch heal provided by that well placed Medic.

Please change my mind if you can because I love the concept of splitting the promotions into fully fledged units and I think they executed it flawlessly with the Observation Balloon.

The problem with units not fortifying and getting the benefit? you can have units attack and heal the same turn if there's a medic unit next to it. That's really OP.

I took it as self evident having played Civ5 that it would work on Civ5 rules, but I agree they could make it clearer, but either way, it's not like the civilopedia claimed you could heal your units without resting it. It just failed to mention clearly your units around and on the medic unit needs to be resting.

It's already incredibly powerful having a column of meat sheild units soaking up damage healing for 25 hp in enemy territory. They are almost unkillable when paired with well timed promotions and pillaging.

As an aside - that rules out deployed naval units receiving the benefit of a medic then? Since they cannot heal outside of friendly shores?

The problem with units not fortifying and getting the benefit? you can have units attack and heal the same turn if there's a medic unit next to it. That's really OP.

I took it as self evident having played Civ5 that it would work on Civ5 rules, but I agree they could make it clearer, but either way, it's not like the civilopedia claimed you could heal your units without resting it. It just failed to mention clearly your units around and on the medic unit needs to be resting.

It's already incredibly powerful having a column of meat sheild units soaking up damage healing for 25 hp in enemy territory. They are almost unkillable when paired with well timed promotions and pillaging.

It would work like the March promotion of Civ V, which was good, but fitting to a unit you have to build separately. OP is really dependent on the amount of healing... If the Medic gave +5 healing to all units around it, every turn, it wouldn't be OP at all, but a benefit worth building. It would also make sense to people, they get what they think they are getting.

Now I heard somewhere, that the Medic doesn't help the unit it is attached to, which I assume is just another bug.

Pretty sure it just buffs the amount of healing by a % modifier, not a flat modifier. So since you won't be healing normally, it won't do anything; you'll have to fortify for that

I wonder how medics stack with let's say Mamluks though since they can heal every turn regardless of what they do

Putting my simulationist hat on, I'm not sure what Medics are really supposed to represent. Given each unit is in fact hundreds or thousands of people, what the medic is doing isn't healing, it's actually drafting and training new troops in the field. In that case, it makes sense that you can't deploy new troops unless the army stops for a while. I'd be inclined to rename it and also limit its use so it didn't work on air craft, naval units or modern mobile units (helicopters, tanks, etc.)

Top Bottom