Medic unit ?

Saxony

Chieftain
At the Penicillin tech it can clearly be seen that there is a new unit. But why does everyone think that it is a Marine unit? Because IMO it is much more logical that it is some kind of medic unit. Kind of a unit that have a low strength and can heals 10HP every turn too nareby units. So what do you think to a unit like that?

If that unit existed, I'd always target it first in war. the AI probably wouldn't. Just another thing that makes the player better than the AI.

The icon shows a military person carrying a submachinegun and a camo helmet. If it were a medic, it would probably have a Red Cross type logo on the helmet. Do a Google Image Search for Medic, and you will see a lot of helmets with red crosses on them.

I'm not convinced it's a marine myself. I'm thinking commando or something like that.

Wait, what if this was a civilian that could stack over military units, healing them and nearby ones. The smg and helmet could just be fluff. This would explain the mysterious civilian unit owned by brussels and the unit that healed 50 hp, which led to speculation about insta-heal

I hope not (to be honest, I think they're already on the verge of adding more units for the sake of adding more units). Medic promotion is enough IMHO.

Concur that a dedicated medic unit is not a good idea IMO. I'd rather see better integrated general units, sort of like in Civ 4 where they merge with a combat unit: but less overpowering and more of them. That way maybe 10% of your military has a "special" character, like the Napoleonic Old Guard, but also influences units next to it.

Medic works best as a promotion.

It seems logical that it would be a medical unit, simply because of the tech that it's tied to. But medic is also an available promotion. That makes me think it's something else.

Penicillin is obviously a medicinal tech, therefore I think it's very possible that it's a medical unit, although it would make wars against the AI too easy, which is why I don't think it should be included.

What if the mystery civilian unit belonging to the CS was a medic?

ah you beet me to it, that is what I was going to say

I think is the WWII infantry, the unit with helmet icon that know is "Infantry" (that becomes Great War Infantry). As stated in another thread, penicellin can be the driver of the change between horrible WWI's soldiers life and the better life of WWII soldiers.

Penicellin = Medic is silly HIMO, remember CIV I: Conscription -> Riflemen and not Rifling -> Riflemen.

The unit available with penicillin is most likely the marine. The picture shows a man with a SMG and a camo helmet, this is exactly what the US Marines looked like during WW2 in the pacific. A medic unit would probably carry a red cross on his helmet, also Medics were forbidden to carry weapons designed for assault (SMG, MG, rifles and assault rifles) and could only carry defensive weapons like pistols and revolvers.

Spoiler :
US Marines from WW2

A lot of the changes that Firaxis are making to the game seem to be partly in order to make the game easier for the AI to play; trying to teach it to juggle terrain movement to make use of a medic in a one unit per tile system is very unlikely.

If that unit existed, I'd always target it first in war. the AI probably wouldn't. Just another thing that makes the player better than the AI.

It's a pretty common trend for AI to target healers in video games, so I would think that the AI would be programmed to do the same in this game.

I agree with it most likely being a marine. Medic is a promotion already

While I agree it's probably a marine, it's worth pointing out that Marine is also a promotion :p

Top Bottom