1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Medicinal purposes only!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Shawmane, May 30, 2008.

1. Shawmane

Shawmane Chieftain

In my recent American game of RFC (which I actually won the UHV!) I was hit by the plague in the late 1800's 1 turn before I finised researching medicine.
    Does medicine not prevent the plague and wipe it out like it used to? I seem to recall that even if you had plague already and got the Medicine tech it would remove it from your civ completely. Is this no longer the case or is it a bug or something?
    Reason I ask is because once I did get medicine, the plague not only didn't end it spread like freaking wildfire through the Western Hemisphere, decimating my previously very healthy population and ruining my vassals the Aztecs and Spain as well.
    Just looking for a bit of clarification here is all.

Thanks much!

2. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

it's always been that it prevents plague to cross your borders, but does not instantly kill it if it has already spreaded

3. Shawmane

Shawmane Chieftain

Ahh ok so working as intended then I suppose. Thanks again

4. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

As the Aztecs in a game a few months ago, I got hit with plague after discovering medicine. The Spanish declared on me, and after killing off their initial pathetic invasion, any European unit I came into visual contact with would send one of my cities into plague. I played around with this for a while, as I had contact with all civs and ships all over the map, but whenever I met any of the Euro civs, one of my cities went down. The plague spread, too - and at this point (late 1800s), I'd had medicine for at least 20 turns. I didn't save the savefiles, sadly, but it was a pretty weird (and annoying) bug.

5. deanej

deanej Deity

It's probably not a bug. The Native American civs get a special plague from contact with European civs.

6. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

Right, but I had gotten that plague with my first workboat, had contact with all of the Euro civs (and their maps, and significant espionage built up, and open borders/trade relationships/etc.) with them - and medicine, which should in theory trump that. That's why it was weird.

7. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Before my computer died, I was noticing American civs getting plagued at odd intervals later in the game myself. No-one else would get them, and it was during the 16-20th centuries, way after First Contact. Yet when the Eurasian plagues went through the rest of the world, the Incas/Mayans/Aztecs were immune.

I haven't played into the later stages since then, so maybe it was an anomaly.

8. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

Seeing the title, I was expecting a request to add hemp as recource. Maybe I just live to close to the Netherlands.

9. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Or maybe some peyote or mescal for the Aztecs?:lol:

10. Sette7

Sette7 Chieftain

That's funny, I was thinking the same :)

11. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

LOL, I didn't (see location):p

12. Dabur

Dabur Prince

Hi ,

or asian civs as it turns out , ....

funny to spread the plague and wait and see the units die , then declare war and take a few cities :mischief:

one can wonder what plague the khmer or japanese bring :lol:

Have a plagued day :)

13. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

I think there's a flaw in the way plague is spread right now. I'm playing as Khmer, very luckily I had no plague because the Europeans had it, and I never open borders with them (at the price of bad economy, but I just switched to commonwealth). So I waited till they cleared the plague, and THEN opened borders with them. Next turn I get the plague. :mad: Where the heck is it coming from except from the Europeans (Jayakarta sprouted Viking trade routes but in world builder the Vikings don't have it any more).

That probably explains why some civs will get the plague really late after everybody has gotten it already. This really should be remedied.

14. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Immunity? (10 characters)

15. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

I thought of that too, but if you're immune, you should not be infectious any more (examples are smallpox and influenza).

16. Dabur

Dabur Prince

Hi ,

okay any ship that passed near you or is near you or any other ( european ) unit ? do you have any trade route with them ( check all your cities )

Have a healthy day :)

17. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

No, the only trade route that sprouted after I opened borders with Vikings was from Jayakarta. I went back and did not open borders, and I didn't get any plague.

18. deanej

deanej Deity

Possibly a unit passed by. Also, plague is affected by reloading, unlike combat odds and random events.