MEDIEVAL II: The Turks Vs. The Mongols

BEHIND_THE_MASK

A Liar... A Cheat...
Hello comrades...

Recently I have started an epic game of Medieval II Total War and have taken the role of the Ottoman Turks.

Currently the game goes incredibly well:

- Constantinople has been captured and converted into my capital city while the previous capital (Iconium) is my most fruitful city. Never the less I decided Constantinople would be the best place to set my capital for continued war with the Byzantiums.

- My economy is explosive! At least 20,000 a Turn and most of my cities are incredibly advanced and upgraded.

- Religiously I am dominant in almost all my regions. Still some trouble back home due to heretics however I am surI will be able to deal with them in due time. Constantinople is 80% Islam.

- After a vicious war with the Egyptians (They started it) I have defeated the Egyptians and taken all of Egypt and Palestine. The Egyptians remain in Arabia but are now a minimal threat. Peace has yet to be established.

However, my biggest current concern is the Mongolians. The current Turn is about 60 and I'm not sure when the Mongols appear. I understand they appear around hte Yeravan region (I might be able to build forts and bottle them up) but I don't know what army mixtures would be best to fight the Mongols.

I could use some hints and advice. I bet that a mixture of Horse Archers would do well, Fortresses fix with layers of Archers, I'm not sure.

Any help for a Comrade?

I've played a couple more turns and the Mongols have popped up.

Caught me off guard, most of my forces are in the West fighting a nearly defeated Byzantium. The only city they got left is Sofia and I've just started considering them a minimal threat.

I have Baghdad Garrisoned Pretty Tough. The other city (Mogul?) less so and I fear it may be attacked within the next turn are so, but if they don't immediatly seige it and try and capture it I should hold.

I have 1 major army in the East. It is exclusive cavalry (2 Generals)(Lots of Horse Archers + 2 Camel Archers) (Some Siphai Lance Cavalry) for an army lacking in Infantry and Archer I'm actually pretty impressed, especially as I had only begun work on it 2 turns ago and marched it from Yerevan (?)

I should be fine for the time being. The game is actually going really well, granted only a few times I've made it to the Mongle Era, and only twice to Gunpowder, I'm happy with how its going.

Against the Mongols as the Turks??

My advice: Prey that they come in at the point farther North then Baghdad, or get some very good assassins and kill all the Mongolian Generals. I killed about 5 once, and one of the armies went rebel. It was great watching it cause casualties against the Mongols for me.

I was playing as the Sicilians. I just wanted to annoy and slow the Mongols.

just take a rebel city to the north ( in russia land , above ur Trebezond i think )
give it to mongol
and it will invade Russia instead of you :D
so you have time to prepare .
I will kill Eygt . they have rich land too . After that make a big invasion in Italy
they have the richest land in the game. after finish italy i think the game is over .

try to just take their faction leaders, it worked for me! well..... I was the Byzintines at the time..

There is a pretty bug that u can exploit: Army declared Jihad will dissolve if their general is killed. Just use a Imam to call Jihad, and watch the Mongols sending their Jihad to the city. meanwhile u can assassin their General and watch their army disappear into nowhere. Also, they will be focused on attacking the jihad city and not you.

The mongols are a PAIN in the butt for the poor unexpecting fool who plays Byzantium, Egypt or Ottoman.

The Ottomans have it the worst off for they start the game with no friends, (Byzantium and Egypt declared war on me like on the 10th turn)

NEVER, I say NEVER face them in open field battles. You will lose and lose badly. At least in my experience.

I prefer to kill them off in Cities where their Horse archers advantages are limited

The mongols are a PAIN in the butt for the poor unexpecting fool who plays Byzantium, Egypt or Ottoman.

The Ottomans have it the worst off for they start the game with no friends, (Byzantium and Egypt declared war on me like on the 10th turn)

NEVER, I say NEVER face them in open field battles. You will lose and lose badly. At least in my experience.

I prefer to kill them off in Cities where their Horse archers advantages are limited

I'm currently playing as Egypt and I've recently acheieved a miracle, an open field battle that, while at the end it said defeat I feel it was a victory.

1 Elite Egyptian Army, 3/4 full (750 Men)
VS.
2 Elite Mongol Armies (850 Each, 1700 In All)

The Battle was fierce... Horse Archers firing non-stop, Mamluks slaughtering Mongolian Lancers and Infantry. Enemy Rocket Launchers and Seige Gear tearing apart ranks. Sudanese Gunners ripping advancing ranks to ribbons.

The most important hit however finds credit with a unit of Naffatun... Flaming Weaponry, effective against armor, burned down the Mongolian Prince as he rode upon the might mongolian war horse.

By the battles end I can say I was glowing with good cheer and high spirit. The defeat was incomplete, my army escaped the field almost completly intact.

The Final Result:
- The Egypt Army of 750 left 120 dead men upon the field of battle. The Egyptians retreated in good order, the army, now 630 strong retreated to Adana where it is currently gathering strength. Despite the impressive victory, such a feat will likely never be repeated in the campaign.
- The Mongolian Horders, entering the field 1700 immortal claimed the field that day but the cost was staggering. Two Rocket Launchers, Two Trebunchets and dozens of men were lost... 120 Egyptians fell but with them went 900 Mongols, elite troops, Lancers, Archers, Seige Techs. dead.

I might have lost the battle but if the Mongols bash their head against the Aleppo Citadel, or even Adana or possibly the well garrisoned Antioch... Of course I also have the Bridge to Antioch is defended.

For the first time I've pretty much bottled the Mongols in... I chased them away from Iconium, the horde (8 Stacks strong now) seems formidibal however they are in area where I can quickly train/retrain, recruit mercenaries, and the Turks have even proven themselves good allies for once. Things are looking up :)

Try putting stakes on bridges with those stake archers that the Turks have. The Mongols will charge across the bridge and get ripped to shreds! Try to combine this with Naffatun as well for an even more effective bloodbath...

Lots of archers with enough calvalry and infantry to protect them. As well don't let a single city fall to the mongols.

Exactly. Pick your fights and try to defend cities and bridges. Bring lots of spearmen and archers.

Use Pro spearmen, lots of pro spearmen. If you send a great army of spearmen down to the mongols their cavalry would lose most of the advantage they got...

Also, if the mongols haven't appeared yet, conquer most of egypt and then make them a vassal (give's automatic alliance). Give them the lands near the Mongol invasion zone and break the alliance when the mongols arrive. Then give the mongols a province in russia and try to become their ally. Now you can wathc mongolia crush Egypt and Russia istead of you (help them a little so they don't break the alliance):goodjob:

That's because if you help them conquering in the north and give them territories they'l surely like you. The relationship would soon become outstanding, and you can grant them military acess to make them even more happy.

If you first have an alliace with an outstanding relationship, i'le guess they won't break the alliance in the first palce, and also, launc some jihads on russian cities and make them the kings of russia. Then they wont care about your territory anymore, and you can concentrate on expanding to the west (but always keep som spearmen and arcer armies in visely placed forts and cities not to far away from the border).

Top Bottom